Re: What is a hitscan weapon?

by MartenPhilip

Original Post

Accepted Solution

What is a hitscan weapon?

★★★ Guide

So... According to PCGamer, the Havoc is a hitscan weapon... What the hell is that? I would like.to know before I actually play the game tonight...

Message 1 of 8 (2,873 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

a hitscan weapon is one in which the bullets will instantly hit the target as you move your cursor over the target. Ie you can flick your mouse across an enemy and have contact regardless of distance, meaning the bullets travel instantanious

the term is quite popular in Overwatch where most character have travel time for their weapons while only a few have "hitscan" guns ideal for taking out high mobility targets

COD is an example of a game where all weapons are pretty much hitscan because their is no bullet travel time in multiplayer (they tweaked this lsightly for bop4 but for blackout reasons)

in this game, i can forsee it being a gun that will have much faster projectile velocity, making it easier to hit fast moving or far away targets. meaning you wont have to lead your target.

also this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitscan

View in thread

Message 2 of 8 (2,865 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

a hitscan weapon is one in which the bullets will instantly hit the target as you move your cursor over the target. Ie you can flick your mouse across an enemy and have contact regardless of distance, meaning the bullets travel instantanious

the term is quite popular in Overwatch where most character have travel time for their weapons while only a few have "hitscan" guns ideal for taking out high mobility targets

COD is an example of a game where all weapons are pretty much hitscan because their is no bullet travel time in multiplayer (they tweaked this lsightly for bop4 but for blackout reasons)

in this game, i can forsee it being a gun that will have much faster projectile velocity, making it easier to hit fast moving or far away targets. meaning you wont have to lead your target.

also this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitscan

Message 2 of 8 (2,866 Views)

★ Guide

It means your bullet hits what was in the sight when you pulled trigger...like cod...you don't need to lead shots...so they are like the scar in fornite...projectile weapons would be like fortnite snipers...have to lead running targets and aim high for bullet drop...hitscan means if the body is on the dot when you pull the trigger it's a hit

Message 3 of 8 (2,862 Views)

★ Guide

I assume hitscan weapons are weapons with a high fire rate but a low damage output per shot.

The R-301, Flatline, Prowler (ONLY WITH THE MOD), RE-45 Auto and all MP's.

Message 4 of 8 (2,861 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Guide
@HamoHitman you are correct.
Though I don't think any of the current in game weapons can be classified as a hitscan as they all have a specific unique travel time and bullet drop to them. I don't see this working in the game.
Message 5 of 8 (2,851 Views)

I dont think the havoc is hitscan.... I clearly see the beams drop altitude after a while.

Message 6 of 8 (2,829 Views)

★★ Guide
Well pcgamer isnt very reliable source to begin with
Message 7 of 8 (2,823 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

The Havok is a hitscan weapon when using the "single shot" fire mode... According to what I read...

Message 8 of 8 (2,791 Views)