What do you guys think of Garden Warfare 2 at the moment?

by StuffyLuffer

Original Post

Accepted Solution

What do you guys think of Garden Warfare 2 at the moment?

★ Guide
I just created this post to see what everybody's opinion is of Garden Warfare 2 as of now. I personally think the game is in an odd position.
Message 1 of 8 (821 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: What do you guys think of Garden Warfare 2 at the moment?

★★★★★ Expert

I still enjoy it but play it less than I did at first. With no new DLC beyond some bug fixes and being at max rank for a long time there's less drive for me to play. It does indeed feel like it's in an odd place, it feels like an evolutionary test step between GW1 and the next game, like they're testing various factors and ideas here before releasing the new game.

I miss a couple of the maps from GW1 and Taco Bandits but overall I prefer GW2 over GW1; the shared coins in Ops (in GW1 garden ops only you get the coins you pick up which does not encourage cooperation), the single player story missions, being able to attack and defend as both sides, more characters, etc. elevate GW2 over GW1 for me. Also while the leveling system in GW2 isn't perfect I hated the challenge system in GW1.

As for the grind the game has. I see why some people consider it grindy but I never felt that. It may be my perspective as a long time MMO player and I played World of Tanks for quite a while (and once you get above tier 5 that game is GRINDY) but the fact I can just play and get xp for almost everything and the way it resets every 10 levels made it feel more like part of playing instead of forcing me to play the way I don't want to. I also don't mind playing any class so none of them felt like I was forced to play them to level them up.

I've posted it on this before and often at great length but I would like to see ALL the maps, the return of the engineering drones, more optional abilities, the ability to save loadouts of abilities and costumes, a much better customization menu (right now if you have most/all things it can take forever to find the costume piece you want), more single player options, and a larger backyard battleground would be fantastic.

And I'll say it again; the Backyard Battleground deserves as much praise as we can give it. I wish MMOs with all their claims to being living worlds felt half as alive and fun as the backyard battleground can be.

View in thread

Message 3 of 8 (838 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Guide

For me it is far too grindy. I hit exhaustion months ago at around rank 5000 and ~60m coins. I play each week for the challenge or portal but otherwise I can barely stand two or three matches before I give up. If it didn't drag me so far beyond my breaking point I bet I would have a much more positive attitude towards it.

In an effort to not have every post of mine be a downer, I will say I really love boss hunts. Brings me back to my MMO days with pickups. I have all but one hat, but I actively play every time one is up. Nothing is better than serving the Yeti's butt on a platter, especially when the rest of the team has given up hope. For me PvE is far more enjoyable in GW2 than PvP. (Too much nonsense in multiplayer.)

I've instead been enjoying GW1, I just reached 153 (20 with each character) and am at the point I have to find Mixed Mode matches to continue. It boggles my mind that I could be 313 after just 150 hours. (If I chose to use my stored skip stars, but I like doing the challenges, keeps things interesting.) It took me over 750 hours to reach 5455 in GW2. That's 5 times longer.... (and people complain about Unicorn Chomper, if someone is 5455 they beyond earned it. 5455 and 10m coins and everyone should be able to buy Unicorn Chomper.) The other boggling thing is knowing that I finished my stickerbook with between 9-10m coins. Holy cow, that's like a 5 star steak for $5. RUX's abilities alone cost more than that. (Buying all 123 IT from packs is 8,200,000 that's 90% of the whole stickerbook in GW1) For everything it is estimated at around 80m. When I noticed that, I was dumbfounded, what the heck happened? Either way, I have around 500 hours worth of GW1 before I hit my exhaustion, so aside from weekends I'll be spending my time there. (It is also amazing to me how much my attitude changed about GW1 once I experienced GW2. I used to be very salty about GW1, check my oldest posts, now it feels like GW2 "streamlined edition")

I also understand now why people fight so hard on the GW1 vs GW2 arguments. It feels like GW2 stole away the players from GW1, so every time there isn't a mixed match going I wonder just how many would be if GW2 didn't exist. So, what I feel is the better game is withering away while people play "the worse" game. (I full acknowledge it is my opinion, just sharing insight into my thought process.)

Message 2 of 8 (812 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

I still enjoy it but play it less than I did at first. With no new DLC beyond some bug fixes and being at max rank for a long time there's less drive for me to play. It does indeed feel like it's in an odd place, it feels like an evolutionary test step between GW1 and the next game, like they're testing various factors and ideas here before releasing the new game.

I miss a couple of the maps from GW1 and Taco Bandits but overall I prefer GW2 over GW1; the shared coins in Ops (in GW1 garden ops only you get the coins you pick up which does not encourage cooperation), the single player story missions, being able to attack and defend as both sides, more characters, etc. elevate GW2 over GW1 for me. Also while the leveling system in GW2 isn't perfect I hated the challenge system in GW1.

As for the grind the game has. I see why some people consider it grindy but I never felt that. It may be my perspective as a long time MMO player and I played World of Tanks for quite a while (and once you get above tier 5 that game is GRINDY) but the fact I can just play and get xp for almost everything and the way it resets every 10 levels made it feel more like part of playing instead of forcing me to play the way I don't want to. I also don't mind playing any class so none of them felt like I was forced to play them to level them up.

I've posted it on this before and often at great length but I would like to see ALL the maps, the return of the engineering drones, more optional abilities, the ability to save loadouts of abilities and costumes, a much better customization menu (right now if you have most/all things it can take forever to find the costume piece you want), more single player options, and a larger backyard battleground would be fantastic.

And I'll say it again; the Backyard Battleground deserves as much praise as we can give it. I wish MMOs with all their claims to being living worlds felt half as alive and fun as the backyard battleground can be.

Message 3 of 8 (839 Views)

★★★ Guide

It is indeed a weird mixture.  I think Garden Warfare 2 suffers a lot from the same problems that TF2 had during its later years after the character updates slowed down and the beginning of MVM; when it was a really small team doing not only the updates, but also trying to push out new content as the other members focus on making other games.  Though to be honest, Garden Warfare 2's problem lies more in the words: "Length and Focus."  

GW1's TT maps were smaller in scale as they were meant to handle a 4v4, while 2's is 7v7; It explains why the 1st point and sometimes later points take much longer to transverse.  Additionally, even if you obtained the current set of character stickers, when the new character update occurs, there is no real way to receive it than going through its said sticker pack (Zombopolis and Frontline Fighters initially); this did rarely occur in GW1, but within a couple hours, you can obtain every character and their upgrades. It also feels like the initial character design of the 1st 4 characters on each team is forgotten as with the increased focus on larger set pieces and character diversity takes more of the forefront. "BIGGER, BADDER, BUTTER." being the main tag line. A thing I miss is the variety of modes like Zomboss/Dave's Van and Taco bandits.

As mentioned by others, portals, boss hunt, and garden ops have been great.  It really feels like a challenge and heavily encourages player cooperation, differentiating it from the usual monotony.  The battleground hub is a fantastic edition to the game, as having a player's own personal server to explore and invite their friends, helps to extend its life.  This might only be for me, but I really enjoyed the Gnome's challenge, as it not only gives the player a new area to explore and play the game in a slightly different way(using the key in each door), but rewards the player with 2 new characters (though the length it took to get them was a little ridiculous).  Another plus for GW2 is also the menu layout, GW1's menu really feels oversimplified like TF2's menu, GW2 just lets you enter the backyard immediately to test and explore the character of your choice, then you can make your choice on what you want to do.

Overall, Garden Warfare 1 helped to establish a lot of what is present in 2, but to me, feels like a more solid experience in terms of game variety. GW2 really expands itself to allow newer players to quickly jump in, and leave when they want. This can alienate players as while it is a new experience, it may not be a lasting one, which is why community events and portals help to keep the game alive.  Ultimately, both are fine games, it is just their area of focus and length that separates them.  Another slight thing to note is that the game came out 2 years after the previous one, which is pretty fast in terms of development time. To get whole new content just within 2 years span is interesting and have that continually updated for longer than a year is great.

Message 4 of 8 (775 Views)

★ Guide
Thanks for sharing your opinion on the game with me, really appreciate it guys. This is my first post on ea answers.
Message 5 of 8 (754 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

For me, I max rank my account (CCIEsX4), now I'm leveling up the second account (CloverTheGamer).

I sometimes get some nostalgia when leveling them up for 2nd time, since been through it for 2nd times. I kind already know the plus and minus for each character so it's faster for me to level up. I can just pick any character based on the map which more suitable instead of forcing myself to level up one character.

After max rank both of them probably 3 months from now?

I still enjoy Gnome bomb overtime and Boss hunt challenge so I still playing them.

Otherwise, I just enjoy the intensity of dogfight when somebody taunts on me and get thing settle down until the heart content.

Message 6 of 8 (745 Views)

@StuffyLuffer wrote:
I just created this post to see what everybody's opinion is of Garden Warfare 2 as of now. I personally think the game is in an odd position.

Thank you for this post.  It is generating a lot of good conversation.  Would you care to expand on why you feel the game is in an odd position?

Message 7 of 8 (726 Views)

★ Guide
I feel that Garden Warfare 2 is in an odd position due to a number of factors. There's of course character balance, Rux's visits, Mystery portals, etc. I feel like RNG or how grindy the game is when it comes to droprate can turn people away. I've been max rank for a year now and I still enjoy the game, but it isn't as popular as some of the other games out today (ie Overwatch, Fortnite). Despite this I will continue to play the game because I love it for what it is, even if it isn't perfect.
Message 8 of 8 (718 Views)