Re: What are your thoughts on Outpost?

by TTZ_Dipsy

Original Post

What are your thoughts on Outpost?

[ Edited ]

I want to start by saying I see great potential with this mode and with some tweaks, I believe it could be a future staple in the franchise

I personally think the mode would benefit from being scaled back a bit, preferably to 3 towers on a map to not only reduce the amount of zerging, but to keep the games from finishing too quickly.

Being able to plant and defuse bombs on the Towers is a neat feature but I think the detonation timer is slightly too long; reducing it by a few seconds will keep the flow going.

I think tanks and planes kind of ruin the mode a bit - removing them and keeping all the other transport vehicles would be the best decision in my mind

edit: oh dear lord, yeah, tanks definitely need to be removed. It only takes 3 PAK 40 L/43 rounds or 2 AP rounds from the Panzer IV to destroy a fully upgraded tower - that's bonkers

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Don't be sad, this is just how it works out sometimes
Message 1 of 6 (459 Views)

Community Manager

@TTZ_Dipsy 

I'm totally hooked on it and plan to play plenty more this weekend. Little bit of the opposite of you in terms of detonation time. I think it should be longer so teams have to defend the site longer in the event there is another wave of defenders head that way. 

One thing I'm trying to adjust to is defending. I'm used to capping a point and the moving onto the next. If your team is very well coordinated in chat I can see specific squads volunteering to defend sites, but most players right now cap the site and then abandon it to the next one so it feels like a merry-go-round with the objectives. 

I've had some intense moments where we go support and post up with MG's to hold off massive incoming waves of players. Arras is my favorite.

Would like to see a feature where squad leaders can designate areas they want to focus on attacking/defending so other squads can see that in the squad screen.

Blueberry.png
Message 2 of 6 (423 Views)

@EA_Blueberry 

I've noticed with smaller player counts a team can just sit there waiting for the bomb to destroy a tower (it kind of seems like 95% of players don't know the towers can still be destroyed with regular explosives...), since the objectives can be kind of far apart. I do appreciate the idea of actually defending an objective so we could possibly compromise and say higher player counts = longer detonation timers and smaller player counts = faster?

The majority of my playtime is spent solo in random squads so I'm very used to the Zerg (merry-go-rounding) since it keeps my points and the overall action quite high, but you're right, defence wins games. This is why I think scaling back to around 3 objectives will work out since it would make each tower feel more important and increase the number of large-scale clashes between teams.

Firestorm already allows for different coloured markers, perhaps the team can incorporate that into squad leader orders? Would be too hectic to see 10+ colours at once but maybe the little arrows could change depending on how many leaders are asking to attack/defend that point?

Message 3 of 6 (414 Views)

Community Manager

@TTZ_Dipsy wrote:

@EA_Blueberry 

Firestorm already allows for different coloured markers, perhaps the team can incorporate that into squad leader orders? Would be too hectic to see 10+ colours at once but maybe the little arrows could change depending on how many leaders are asking to attack/defend that point?

I'd be concerned about spamming the colored markers. Going to 3 objectives instead of 4 sounds like a nice balance between attacking and defending. 

Blueberry.png
Message 4 of 6 (408 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Nice speed mode, maybe no plane could be cool.

And more maps.

Message 5 of 6 (405 Views)

@Moskolonel 
Hopefully feedback is good enough to warrant extra maps; I think Narvik and Fjell would work well. I haven't had a single problem with planes but I know others who say they're a nuisance - There are tons of AA's scattered around the maps I don't really think they should be a problem but I'm definitely not opposed to removing them from the mode altogether 

Message 6 of 6 (391 Views)