What about solo penalty?

by xiXBlackHaloXix

Original Post

Accepted Solution

What about solo penalty?

★★★★★ Novice

This is supposed to be a "Team Game," but what about the try-hards who play solo and are half a map away doing their own thing? There ought to be a penalty for actively abandoning your team, or a bonus for actively working together. I've had several matches where one member jumps solo and doesn't have any regard for the squad. Even if they are the best player in all of Apex, it's supposed to be a team game. If there is a penalty for leaving early, there ought to be a penalty for abandoning in-game as well.

Though I don't disagree with the Abandon Penalty, I believe it desperately needs some balancing and twerking.

Just seems fair. 

Message 1 of 22 (934 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: What about solo penalty?

★★★★ Pro

As mentioned in another thread, there should be a merit system, like in Overwatch, where you give points to people you think are good team players. No slap on the wrist for the less-than-reasonably-team-oriented players, but a small token of appreciation to the "good guys".

With banner stuff to show off, of course.

View in thread

Message 11 of 22 (1,199 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Pro

@xiXBlackHaloXix  Lmao @ twerking. I think you mean tweaking. But yes, I'll twerk to some apex. Wink  All jokes aside, abandoners are not fun to deal with at all. Frown

Message 2 of 22 (929 Views)

@xiXBlackHaloXix I agree they are a hassle but trying to code something that would effectively deal with this would be difficult.

What would you have them do? Damage if you're to far from your team? Well that can ruin strategies. I'm starting to use sniping more frequently. That said depending on the location I'll hang back from the team and pick off people.

Toss in that they are already receiving a lot of push back over the leave early penalty, which I think needs refinement.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 3 of 22 (903 Views)

★★★ Expert

I just had 2 team mates who refused to follow me to a nearby vault after I got a vault key.

They died in skyhook with trash gear while I was getting decked out. So while we're on about this one, how about a braindead noob penalty? 

Message 4 of 22 (870 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

You could also say that the other 2 are playing without the 1. Why always blame the solo?

If I have my own plans for the game (e.g., I'm doing a mission, looting my favorite spot or testing something) and my teammates don't want to follow me - that's entirely their own choice. I really don't need them, so if they need me, they can follow me. That's my general mindset in casuals.

Out of 3 random teammates, the ones who DO want to play as 3 no matter what (and are afraid to stray away solo) usually don't get to choose where to land and what to do, because the others who don't care if they're alone or not will have no qualms not following your calls (if they have better plans). If you can't understand that, then you'll never understand games with random teammates and no artificial restraints will ever make your games better.

Fact is, it's really easy to avoid confrontation and just run around looting solo, so even landing on exact opposite sides of the map does not mean you can't just meet up at the very end still win the game as a full squad. If you can't do that - it's time to play some hide and seek solo games. That's one of the most essential skills any player should master, especially if you play with random teammates a lot.

If you start a 2x3 fight, then you better be sure you can win, because you won't have the luxury of blaming your solo teammate for losing it. You never have to participate in fights, it's always your own choice.

P.S. If you think "I'm going there" ping is a suggestion - you're wrong. That literally means I'm going to do it with or without you Wink.

Message 5 of 22 (864 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

How a typo lost me on the point of the post. Angel

Message 6 of 22 (835 Views)

[ Edited ]

@xiXBlackHaloXix  if its suppost to be a "team game" then why is there a solo launch facility available in the dropship? If you dont like the drop ping, or the stats, or just want some alone time, then you have options. And what about the duo's that just step over my dead corpse and go on their way?

I've had plenty of drops to a very crowded drop zone where the 'team' lasted a nanosecond, or running headlong into a fight with no regard for a strategy. Its a bit boring jumping with lemmings or wannabe Ninja's all the time. Large smile

I really enjoyed the solo league last season, something to be said for creeping around with a triple take. Stealth is a tactical skill much underrated imo.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png
Please note:
I am a Community Volunteer.
I do not work for EA.
My views are my own.
Message 7 of 22 (826 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@xiXBlackHaloXix Personally, I'm more frustrated with people who do not communicate. Don't care if they are right next to me or on the other side of the map.
Message 8 of 22 (805 Views)

[ Edited ]

@xiXBlackHaloXix  What about the 2 I just played with? Both handed over the jumpmaster so I presumed they were both nervous and I picked a seemingly safe location and jumped, One then pinged the other side of the map and the other then headed off in that direction too. I was too low and slow to change direction, they died.... solo game.

Then got put in with one other player and they disconnected straight away, not sure they wanted to play with me Devil .... solo game.

Ban them all you say Wink

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png
Please note:
I am a Community Volunteer.
I do not work for EA.
My views are my own.
Message 9 of 22 (793 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@xiXBlackHaloXix"This is supposed to be a "Team Game," but what about the try-hards who play solo and are half a map away doing their own thing? There ought to be a penalty for actively abandoning your team, or a bonus for actively working together. I've had several matches where one member jumps solo and doesn't have any regard for the squad." last night: i was the jumpmaster, the 2 other guys (they had lower lvl and ranks) went their way and died then spammed and insulted me, according to you, i should receive i penalty because i didn't follow 2 terrible players who just installed the game? wtf

Message 10 of 22 (779 Views)