Re: Weapon Spotlight: L-Star and new Hop Ups!

by asukojo

Original Post

Weapon Spotlight: L-Star and new Hop Ups!

Community Manager

Hi all, we took a break from the Spotlight last week as we wanted you to get some time to play around with the new tools. 

Our last spotlight looked at the Longbow and Peacekeeper, you can check it out here!

This week we're going to take a look at the new toys introduced in this patch, the L-Star EMG, Disruptor Rounds, and Hammerpoint Rounds.

Lstar.PNG

How do you feel about the L-Star right now? Do you think it overheats too fast? Are you seeing enough of them show up in matches?

With a Hammerpoint is it still a Mozamweak or is it a Mozambeast? Have you managed to catch an unshielded target with the hopped--up P2020 yet?

Do you think the hopped-up Alternator is in a good place after Disruptor rounds were nerfed, or does it need to be taken down even further? Is the RE-45 worth taking or is Alternator still king?

Let us know what you think below!

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 1 of 21 (1,395 Views)

Community Manager

Animated GIF

I love the L-Star

Rtas.png

Message 2 of 21 (1,362 Views)

Champion

L-Star

I think the L-star needs a bit of love, it feels quite inconsistent at the moment and I tend to leave it if I see it in a care package, especially early game when i'd rather focus on upgrading the available weapons I have. I think it definitely needs to overheat more slowly but mostly trying to balance the overheating and reload feels a little clunky. I think it would work better with a single clip and a heat vent mechanism that works quicker than a reload. I would be happier to see this less in game if it was more consistent than it currently is, I want to see it and be overjoyed, but at the moment I just wish it was a mastiff!

Disruptor Rounds

I think these are in a pretty good place at the moment, could even be brought back a tad more, but I'm not currently shaking my fist at the sky calling out their name in anger so that's good! I think both the RE-45 and Alternator do their jobs pretty well and are balanced with each other. You choose Re-45 if you prefer to take people down faster up close and personal, or you choose the alternator for a more consistent longer range option.

Hammerpoint rounds

Love this hop-up and the damage is rightfully OP because the weapons themselves are pretty pants, if the damage was brought down I would like to see maybe an extra slow put in it's place, but overall love this Hop-up and I wasn't expecting to! Still think the Mozam needs 5 shots though!

Hey there I'm a volunteered Champion! I don't work for EA I just like to help out around the forums, keep the peace and submit ideas to the community.

Did I answer your question? Please leave some tasty XP or even mark as a solution!

Got some QOL ideas for Apex? Add them here: 

Apex Legends QOL Collection

Message 3 of 21 (1,353 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I haven't had much experience in the way of Hammerpoint rounds apart from the odd game or 2 with the P2020. The opponent at the time didn't have a shield so of course dropped fairly easy to a point I was pleasantly surprised. It makes a useless gun competitive for early gunfights and maybe for those later on when someone wants to mix it up. Can't speak much for the Mozambique. 

As for the L-star, hated it initially because it seemed everyone had one but it has grown on me somewhat. In my eyes it seems somewhat balanced to a point I'll pick it up early/mid game but drop it for a fully equip gun for end game. The downside is the overheating and muzzle flash/sights, I can't seem to hit a thing! 

Lastly the Distrupter rounds, I don't know what to make of them really. As with the P2020 I feel the hop up makes the gun somewhat competitive (talking about the Re-45) but is too much when equipped on the Alternator. I'm not sure a nerf of the hop up is needed as it will again reduce the effectiveness of the re-45 but as it stands I see myself dropping every other light weapon for it on an Alternator. Perhaps the hop-up or Alternator need to be somewhat harder to find and more obscure? Seems I find one off the bat or find one in the the first death box.

Message 4 of 21 (1,308 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Hopup:

If I found those two hop up early, combination of them are deadly especially early in the game so I will keep it to end.

But most cases, I already build my weapon then suddenly they show up at end, so I will just ignore them.

L-Star:

Early when session-2 launch everybody want to try it out, but now, none of my team mate want to pick it up.

I don't want it too, the reheat is so fast, the reload is too long, the muzzle flash is too much, the bullet trace is too obvious (attract 3rd party), so most people ignore it these days. 

Even It's deadly weapon in close distance but I rarely see enemies using it as well. 

Message 5 of 21 (1,278 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
Here comes koochi to brag! Make way!

Okay the L-star. I basically go to one of the care packages if I play normal apex. I want that quick over or quick multiple kills/squad wipe. The thing close range is a beast and rightfully shreds through ppl with it’s 23 or so dmg per shot. But thing is, the muzzle flash. My god, I thought it was bad on devotion/spitfire. They’re minor leagues compared to this gun.

I do see that the gun is no good against blue shield & up cause you usually overheat by that point. Overheat starts with every wrongly-timed 20 bullet burst. So unless you have another gun or the enemy sucks, you’re dead.

The disruptor just melts ppl like there’s no tomorrow. I remember when ppl found the havoc/devotion OP. This does way more damage xD. In the beginning of season 2, I melted 2 blue shield and one either white or purple away with 1 clip in less than 3 seconds xD. It was awesome!

Hammerpoint rounds are only good if you’re good or lucky. If you have bad aim, go for p2020 and just spray. If you’re close up and good at aiming, go for mozambique. Without shield and if all pellets connect, it’s 109 body dmg so yea, 1 hit kill. The p2020 does 29 dmg unshielded I think if I remember correctly.

Overall, strong weapons but they can either be right or wrong in the right or wrong hands
Message 6 of 21 (1,256 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

New Hopups-

I'd be tempted to leave the Hammerpoint as-is because you're basically sacrificing your 2nd weapon slot for a situationally powerful weapon.  Neither gun is any good until your enemy's shields are down.  This makes them OP at the start of the game, but then most guns are.  It's not worth balancing the weapon around people not having armor when people who drop into high loot areas regularly have blue or purple within 3 seconds of their feet touching the ground.

The Disruptor rounds are still slightly too powerful by my reckoning.  I don't think the dmg to shields needs to be lowered or the base weapon tweaked (I LOVE the new alternator) but if they did LESS damage to health as they do MORE damage to armor : it would make them more of a choice than a flat power increase across the board.  This is kind of how it already works with the Hammerpoint, which is why I think people don't mind them as much.  The guns are borderline useless UNTIL the special effect comes into play.  If the RE/Alt were made LESS useful against health as a trade-off for damaging peoples' armor more : it would add a lot of nuance to when to use the hopup or not.  This would finally give more of a reason for players to be able to remove items from their guns to carry around for alternative loadouts, which up to now has been a feature but not really one that's been capitalised on.

Currently an Alternator with purple mag and disruptor is the best weapon to have in most situations.  An alternator with purple mag is a solid weapon anyway, so the disruptor rounds RUINING shields is just icing on the cake.  You can easily shred an entire teams shields with a good alternator burst and have enough ammo left to drop at least one target.

Message 7 of 21 (1,244 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@EA_David L-Star is fine. Even a small change either way wouldnt make the gun game breaking.

Hammerpoint is okay, but very situational.

Disruptor on Alternator and even on re-45 needs a downgrade.
It used to be that end-game guns would be some combo of Longbow/Wingman/PK/301/99/Havoc.

Currently the best option is Disruptor + something.
I personally dont like it when there's only 1 top option that beats every other combo.

I'm not sure if this would work, but a damage reduction on flesh for the Disruptor rounds might?
Message 8 of 21 (1,220 Views)

★★★ Guide
@EA_David L-star was fun at first, now i don't care much about it. The extreme M-flash makes it horrible. Don't see people using it much anymore. I will leave it in the drops and wish for a kraber or mastiff.

Disruptor is awesome and the alternator is the one i use it on mostly. Re-45 is used if there is no alternator around.

Hammer rounds is nice, but i don't find it often and when i do i don't find the P2020.
The old "Moz" do damage BUT, 3 shots is to little, my aiming is not the best so the P2020 is more forgiving and that is why it's my pick always.
Message 9 of 21 (1,209 Views)

★★★★ Pro

L-Star: Fun weapon to use but the muzzle flash is crazy lol. Hip fire is king for this weapon. Problem is if you make any ajustments to improve it, it fast becomes OP so I think it's in a pretty good place tbh. I use it if I don't have my preferred weapons and need a fast TTK but I don't grab it at first sight.

The hammer points I've not really had the situation to use so I can't give a balanced opinion but I certainly like the idea of them.

Disruptor rounds: I like this idea and they work well. A touch to well. They are not quite in line with the other weapons imo. I understand they need to feel strong, and it does (and fun to) but I can't help but feel they are just a bit to good (especially on the Alternator). They do feel a bit less OP on the RE45.

I like all of these additions and the only thing that could possibly need adjustment is the disruptor rounds.

Message 10 of 21 (1,171 Views)