Re: Weapon Spotlight - Arc Stars, Thermite & Frag Grenades

by DrenMadre

Original Post

Weapon Spotlight - Arc Stars, Thermite & Frag Grenades

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

The weekend is nearly upon us, Legends! The ring is waiting...

Last week, we discussed the almighty Mozambique and Wingman. You can still chime in on that discussion here. This week though, we're going to talk throwables!

Arc Stars, Thermite Grenades, and Frag Grenades. Do you love them or do you hate them?

Arc Star.JPG

Thermite.JPG

Frag Grenade.JPG

We've seen some discussions pop up around throwable weapons here, here, here, and here.

How do you think the current balance is for all grenades in the game, any preferred option over the others? What scenarios in game call for a Thermite grenade? What changes would you like to see if you feel are necessary?

Do you pass on putting them in your inventory or try to stack as many as you can? Share us your creative ways to use them in battle.  Share us your highlight videos like this one!*LANGUAGE WARNING*

Feedback is welcome!

Blueberry.png
Message 1 of 23 (1,710 Views)

Champion (Retired)

I used to like thermite grenades the most because they damage players who hide behind doors. I seemed to be in those types of situations a lot.

Then I played with a really good player who used Arc Stars all the time and he said they were the best so gradually I started using them more. I never ever hit my targets with them. If I do hit them they bounce off. Although I will stick them to a downed player because it's kind of evil. 

Frag grenades were my favourite for ages but now I take 2 Arc Stars and 2 frag nades. Spam them all together and you're almost guaranteed to do damage. If someone is hiding behind cover I will throw one nade one side and another nade the other side. A nade sandwich. :eahigh_file:

If I could design a new grenade it would be one that blows up with a short, sharp bang, a lot of different coloured sparkles and a fairground whistle sound. Wizard

Message 2 of 23 (1,689 Views)

★★ Pro

The thermite is to «thin» and as such very unreliable - at least in my hands. The affected area could be changed to an oval instead of a line, where the short radius of the oval is made thicker. This would reward accurate throws.

Message 3 of 23 (1,680 Views)

★ Guide

I really don't like slow motion effect. it ut need to remove from the game. thermite need the flame effect in circle. frag granade have a too much larger damage effect. it need to reduce 30 % and increase the brightness of red lights on grenades. after that, it will be balanced 

Message 4 of 23 (1,668 Views)

★★★ Guide

termites should work like molotov, bcose now usually if you throw termite near the wall you have almost no fire on the ground or sometimes fire is in the wall and it makes it uselesss

Message 5 of 23 (1,660 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@adidasPowah wrote:

termites should work like molotov, bcose now usually if you throw termite near the wall you have almost no fire on the ground or sometimes fire is in the wall and it makes it uselesss

So you're saying it should spread like a liquid? I like that idea.

Message 6 of 23 (1,650 Views)

★ Guide
I love arcstar but it is to strong if i hit a body with it
Message 7 of 23 (1,606 Views)

★★★★ Pro

I like all three the damage is fine for me. Just the blast radius of the arc star and frag are to "big" even if the the grenade Icon isn't visible on my screen i still get hit / take damage from the arc star or frag.

The thermite is fine IMO.

Message 8 of 23 (1,595 Views)

★★★★ Guide

cookable frags.....

Message 9 of 23 (1,591 Views)

★★★ Expert

Frags are in a good spot, I think the blast radius can be reduced slightly tho, you need to run very far from them to avoid them if you're in the open and can hide behind any rocks or corner of a building.

The thermite's are useful to throw at a door's base which is being blocked since the thermite passes underneath, problem is you have to wait for the burn to end before you can pass through yourself if you're out of shield cells, or want to spend your last ones.

Arc stars, are perhaps in need of some nerfing. I have gotten a bunch to stick, and it's always a game over for them, while I think it's fine the way it is if you hit a player, I think getting stunned from a stat landing near you is overpowered.

Its easy to have a bunch of stars strewn across the ground making them unavoidable, since the slow from the proximity to them makes it impossible to escape the blast radius.

I also think the visual blur a player experiences is too strong, it's almost as bothering as Bangalore's ultimate.

As for bag space, I find myself never carrying any with a lvl1 backpack

Only 2 stars with a level 2 backpack

And maybe 4 with a level 3 backpack, but only in case they are not a ton of shield batteries and medkits in the deathboxes we looted.

I hope you would have a separate ordnance slot in your standard backpack, capping you out with having 2 grenades. 3 with a lvl 2 backpack, and 4 with a lvl 3/4 backpack.

This way you could carry grenades without having to sacrifice half your ammo or recovery items in early game, and also caps you from having more than 4 late game to avoid overpowered Arcstar spams.

I have seen many streamers playing ammo efficient gun combo's (wingman and peacekeeper for example) to save bag space for 8 arc stars.

Message 10 of 23 (1,562 Views)