Re: We REALLY Need a Leaver Penalty ASAP...

by jonesy0218

Original Post

★★ Pro

I like some of those ideas, but I'm also not for introducing a whole lot of new issues just to address one problem. It seems redundant. Instead, address the one problem with one solution - a penalty. In a game like this, the top people only care about showing off their kills. I really don't see the issue with getting a longer lockout each time you disconnect. If it's accidental, cool. You get the first five minute penalty and move on. No big deal. But it will annoy those who like to get kills and leave. Those people ruin the overall experience. 

Message 21 of 30 (506 Views)

★★★★ Guide

then you'll complain about teammates who steal all your loots

Message 22 of 30 (501 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

they do that anyway. One guy just brought me back AFTER he harvested everything from my box, then the zone killed me as i had no meds.

People are mind blowingly stupid.

Message 23 of 30 (485 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

Thing is that it's not easy to distinguish between accidental and intentional quitting. Sure, you know when a player presses the leave button, but how can you tell when he's forcing the server to spit him out by choking the connection or by switching the modem off to circumvent the penalty? If the disconnection is not actually his fault, that player will most certainly blame the server, the netcode, the game, the devs (just look at the many examples in this forum). Top that with a penalty when that player is finally able to get back in the game and the result is probably a customer lost for this game but also for other Respawn / EA titles. Having a few "quit tickets" available allows the player to mitigate the risk of getting the penalty by taking a timeout himself to calm down or to wait if he notices issues with his connection.

The frustration needs to be addressed as well. It's not ok to be forced to watch for minutes your teammate(s) looting a mile away with no intention to get you back in the match, or to sit and wait for the match to end, watching your last team survivor hide and wait for the other teams to wipeout each other, as there's no respawn beacon available in the circle. So, one way is to take the player away from watching powerlessly teammates doing things in ways that he doesn't agree with, ideally giving him something interactive to make him feel useful or to make that waiting time fly faster. Another way is to incentivize respawning, to encourage the surviving teammates to get that banner back and then to the beacon and the respawned players to feel they're more than bait, offering them new game and challenges after dying and missing that 20 bomb they were initially after.

Exploiting these may not be a big issue, especially as limits can be added. If the player jumps off the map or gets killed by the ring, no boosts. If  you trip on your own or a teammate's grenade, without receiving any damage from an enemy in the previous 10-30 seconds, no boosts. But frankly, would you care more about players that exploit this system for personal rewards than of quitters that leave you to face certain death? Would you put so much effort into exploiting these features, possibly risking bans, but not into waiting and improving your game just a little bit and get the same rewards?

Message 24 of 30 (462 Views)

★ Guide

@jonesy0218 wrote:

Agreed - Solos completely ruined any concept of "team." I played a game last night where I took out a team of three by myself, grabbed my teammates' banner, and he still disconnects. If your 30 seconds is that valuable, you should be a * millionaire. It's disgusting at this point and makes the game much less enjoyable if you're not playing with friends.

This happened frequently since release tho and has nothing to do with solo mode.

Message 25 of 30 (444 Views)

★★ Pro

@Rima131313 It's gotten significantly worse after solos.

@DoYaSeeMe They can set a limit on how long you have to wait after a teammate grabs your banner. If you have to spend two minutes watching a teammate, that's a much better deal than leaving before someone can respawn you. Again, if you're two minutes is that valuable, I would think you'd be a millionaire by now. Your personal "wants" should not ruin a team based game. If someone wants to leave any other mode, cool. But if you're part of a team, you're a third of the responsibility. Anyone deserves a penalty for leaving. If I have a power outage at my house and come back to a five minute penalty, oh well. I'll wait it out because I know I'm not constantly leaving so the penalty won't increase. 

Message 26 of 30 (426 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I don't think penalties like these are going to be implemented... I understand this behaviour makes you angry but I just can't imagine it.

If random is not working for you maybe you should keep track of those players who play as you expect, add them as friends and, in short time, you might have a solid player base to play with.

Message 27 of 30 (419 Views)

★★ Pro

That's the thing, they were implemented for a very short time and people got mad because they couldn't leave when they wanted. They've got to quit bending to a small percentage on whiny people so it can improve the overall experience. 

Message 28 of 30 (411 Views)

★ Pro

I am playing only with randoms...
Nobody was leaving when they "mistakenly introduced punishment for rage quitters".
After removing punishment number of player who leave only increased.
"No punishment" also stimulates solo gameplay in squads. Many players hotdrop, die and leave immediately. Such players ruin game for many squads.

Message 29 of 30 (397 Views)

★★ Pro

@SlivPTS wrote:

I am playing only with randoms...
Nobody was leaving when they "mistakenly introduced punishment for rage quitters".
After removing punishment number of player who leave only increased.
"No punishment" also stimulates solo gameplay in squads. Many players hotdrop, die and leave immediately. Such players ruin game for many squads.

^^ Exactly this.

Message 30 of 30 (391 Views)