Re: Valk / Flight

by XHelperZ

Original Post

Valk / Flight

★★ Pro

Ok so we had a new character come out some time ago with capabilities that no one asked for

Who new that the character would be game-breaking? Yes game breaking, I said it.

Shoot at you? fly away. Team in trouble? fly away. Pubs, get high ground quick, get shot, fall off, mess up, just push a button again to get back where you were.....a joke really.

Even the ALGS was a total disgrace. Teams shamelessly abusing said character and flying up during the final ring and quickly shooting everyone in the back when you silently fall down after getting out of the fight initially. To me, that is not a win. That is a shortcut. 0 Skill required. That is a cheap trick....and no pro player showed any respect to the sport of competitive fps by raising a concern. Everyone just went with the flow? Shows what they know.

Really?

To me, this character is beyond redemption. No matter what you do, nothing will beat flight. No nerf will fix it. There is a reason for things to start flying as games become more difficult, with Apex it's a given. People trying to be the next "insert youtuber here" to show they can be just as "good". A joke really. Grow up.

I now only play Apex to grief such players and kill them and wipe their memory from the server, and it's getting boring tbh. Aside from running away when cornered, and spamming your rockets when someone gets close, the majority of you are pretty meh tbh. Sorry, but not sorry. 

You all are supporting a mechanic that's terrible for competitive fps, if that ever meant anything.

I would see 70% of you break against the rocks of competitive games like CSGO without your flying character, please wake up.

Message 1 of 23 (653 Views)

Champion

Valk wasn't good at release, because people didn't realize the potential.

Yes the pickrate was decent, nothing compared to recent times... so even calling it out before wouldn't have meant much.

Next to that, it doesn't really break the competitive integrity.

By your logic we should nerf Gibby so his shield is breakable, hell why else would he get chosen so much?

Introducing new mechanics isn't bad, if they are good then that's fine... since everyone can literally have one of said legend on their team.

Currently high ranks cannot have a squad without a Gibby, what's wrong with adding Valk into the mix?

Are we now restricting the picks? If so, why was it fine to have it like that with Gibby?

I'm just getting the feeling that people aren't taking the proper steps or don't know how to deal with said legends, therefore they should be dumpstered.

Your only argument is that people now can move around the map more easily... which isn't even a bad thing, it adds another form of strategy.

Obviously players from Apex are going to have issues with CSGO, it's a completely different category of games.

If I were to tell a CSGO player to play R6 then they would also break against the rocks, because they quite literally don't know how it functions.

The pace of those games are much different too, so uh... yeah duh.

You're exaggerating.

Message 2 of 23 (584 Views)

★ Expert
@Sand_spitter Through out my climb this ranked season there's one thing and one thing that was always on my mind "This game wouldn't be too hard if we had a Valk on our team". So many times me and my team cornered a Valk team just for them to fly away. So many times where I position my team(I've been playing a lot of Pathfinder) so that we won't get sandwiched by 2 teams just to get sandwiched anyway by a Valk team that flew behind us. She's so strong that if you do not have her it's like you're playing the game with a handicap and the worst part is that I can't see any possible way for them to balance Valk without absolutely gutting her or just reworking/changing her kit.
Message 3 of 23 (574 Views)

★★ Pro
@XHelperZ

Hi there Valk main Standard smile

Ok, it's such an exaggeration that she's basically on every team I play. Everyone now has the option / now wants to bail when the stuff hit the fan. You're basically at a disadvantage if you don't have her on your team because it's a complete reset if you fly away when things didn't go your way. She was a top pick in the algs, and she was responsible for the cheapest of cheap wins. She was basically single handedly responsible for the algs being played the way it was this year.

Gibby is a problem too, always has been since the buff. But how do you fix him without making him completely useless again? Respawn messed up in the 1st place with having diff sized hit boxes. Now we have another one of "those" characters that is just broken by design..

By CSGO I mean a shooter that's actually about shooting. So many people are now just winning matches by picking her and relying on cheap tricks wins to get the upper hand.

She's the best pick for solo q no fill too, for obvious reasons..

To think I exaggerated is to basically be in denial. Everyone knows how good she is at this point and her mobility is beyond insane.
Message 4 of 23 (563 Views)

★★ Pro
@Daze623 Precicely, 100%. You actually feel the difference in not having her.
Message 5 of 23 (558 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@Daze623Actually, I think you nailed it. I don’t think Apex can afford to have a character that if you DON’T pick them, you feel like you’re at a real disadvantage.

While I won’t call her outright OP, I will say this:

In her current state, she significantly impacts one of the core principles of BR— positioning. Positioning is a skill that people work hard at developing. In a scenario where everyone is the same mechanical aiming skill, it’s the team that invested in their position that will often see success. But the ease (and frequency) with which Valk repositions her entire team is a bit problematic.

To be fair, I don’t want to see her gutted. I just think she needs a long charge up for the ultimate. And I’d like a small tweak to the missiles. Either they should do damage and no stun, or stun with no damage.

Message 6 of 23 (549 Views)

Champion

@Sand_spitter 

One does not have to main a character to be able to see what's right.

I mean, you would know that, since you're making this post after all... so you're just sticking that title on me because those are the only people that can disagree with your statement?

Not a good way to start off...

People can bail yes, though they need to have the proper cover to do so.

If they're able to fly away then they could've just ran away.

Now of course it's harder to pursue them, though otherwise you would just be running after them anyways, better to target someone else.

The changes literally make it so they can't move as far... so that issue has theoretically been solved, it's not really a complete bailout.

It's also not really impossible to shoot down someone that's going up with the ult.

If something is good, why should it become worse?

Because it's used a lot? Because it doesn't promote healthy diversity for the game?

It's never broken by design, you can always just rework a legend by replacing an ability.

According to you it's not possible to fix it with simple changes, a rework would be the proper thing to do.

And like you said, how do we fix it without making a legend useless?

Well, that's the neat part, we can think of something so it's easier for the devs.

Now of course it's not our job, though good luck convincing people for a change if you don't have a plan in mind.

Cheap tricks?

Movement has always been one of the major things in the game.

Yes, whilst this is something easy to use and rewards pretty well, you can't just blindly land somewhere.

Your position will be announced to everyone near, and yes, whilst you can see them, they will also be able to see you.

Information is useful, though not useful enough if everyone starts turning against you.

I personally don't see an issue with promoting movement around the map, though limiting that range is a good thing, luckily that's something they're already doing.

How about we wait for the changes and see what they do?

If it's still too broken, we can still try to fix it, though we shouldn't make drastic changes before trying other options first.

Message 7 of 23 (548 Views)

★★ Pro
@Axs5626Sxa5001 Exactly, positioning is just too easy now.
Message 8 of 23 (528 Views)

★★ Pro
@XHelperZ Relax dude, I didn't mean it to be insulting, just usually the said mains will try and defend it Standard smile

I think others make some good points here.

Yeah, cheap tricks. Have you watched the ALGS this year? Flying up in the last circle while everyone is fighting below to get yourself out of sight and falling down and quickly shooting people who have no clue where you're at is pretty cheap to me. A 10 year old could have come up with that play and takes 0 creativity or effort.

In fact just the way that her mobility works by holding down a button and having a "tank" that's always filling up slowly and always available is crazy.
Why does every other mobility ability require aim to use and have a once off use and a cool down where it's 100% unavailable during?

Everything about this character disgusts me in terms of fairness and just degrades the integrity and sportsmanship of fps of Apex. Why did we need her? We didn't is why.
Message 9 of 23 (522 Views)

Champion

@Sand_spitter 

I think that's on the other players for not being aware of other players applying this strategy.

Others might miss out because they aren't even using it themselves, too bad for them.

And with the recent changes she won't even be able to stay high up in the air for too long, that'll destroy it.

One small piece of damage disables the ult from being used for 15 seconds... so this scenario is almost completely prevented if you just shoot the Valk that would make use of this strategy.

Next to that, since she's not able to scan enemies anymore, it's going to be extremely unsafe to use her ultimate to land in a safe spot.

Others will know where you are, you will not know where others will be.

Using her passive does take some practice, improper use will just make you a bigger target.

And yes whilst it might be easier to gain vertical height in comparison to other legends, do note that those other legends are better in other situations.. so each is better in their own situation.

With her fuel capacity being brought down it will be even harder to go around and just flying like you're mentioning.

So why do you think these changes won't do anything despite them targeting the exact flaws?

Message 10 of 23 (512 Views)