VICE Article on M&K on console

by DankToliet

Original Post

VICE Article on M&K on console

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

Published May 7, 2019

Good bit of a read, not here to change or sway someone's opinion. Since you can't post links, just search "Vice mouse and keyboard" to find an actual journalistic findings.

Most of your minds are already made up one way or the other. Knowing more never hurt anyone though. Thanks 

Message 1 of 9 (370 Views)

Re: VICE Article on M&K on console

★★ Guide
@DankToliet A lot of good info for both sides of the scale. If only people took their time to do this amount of research themselves we could avoid so many arguments.
Message 2 of 9 (341 Views)

★ Pro
@DankToliet can't post links? That's called copy and paste o0
Message 3 of 9 (334 Views)

★★ Guide
@Huntinwabits It's against forum rules to post outside links. Mods will delete it
Message 4 of 9 (331 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Yeah i read it you still can't avoid arguments. :P
For disabled players I would only allow it for single player games so they can enjoy console games but i would ban it for multiplayer.
If they want multiplayer they should go to pc.
If you can afford console + 100$ for adapter then you can afford a bit more to build a decent pc instead of buying a console.
Unfortunately it's a pay to win on console even used by not disabled players.
I'm sure it also builds their confidence they feel good playing against controller players.
Guess what adapter users i'm more badass getting a win with controller and reaching Platinum.
Your kills/wins Rank Platinum/Diamond/Predator worth nothing!

Message 5 of 9 (291 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@SpyrosFPSThe whole thing would be easier to talk about if Microsoft came out and said "Using a Xim is fine" or "Using a Xim is fine but only if you're disabled" or "Using a Xim is wrong". There's no incentive for them to put skin into the game though because no one is quitting consoles because of 'cheaters'. They can have their cake and eat it.

You have to do some pretty interesting mental gymnastics to come to the conclusion that you're not getting an unfair advantage if you use a Xim. I suppose if we're being 100% honest with ourselves : it's about the kind of unfair advantage you're willing to have and unwilling to let others have over you.

People using 3p controllers have an unfair advantage over people using the default one. Not as much as a Xim imo but it's there, otherwise what are they paying for? So the idea that having an unfair advantage being wrong is a black-and-white thing is already exploded even before M&K adapters make their way onto the stage.

Microsoft should just include an emulator in the console itself that does the job of the Xim only better.  That way if developers don't want to develop a game for M&K - everyone has the same options re: peripherals.

Message 6 of 9 (269 Views)

★★★ Pro
@Anlbrd I agree, no one is really playing on the same level. My Elite/Scuf, Astro A40s, and 24"Monitor 1ms monitor you could easily see how I have the advantage over someone playing on a flatscreen/stock controller& headset.

As long as someone isn't using an actual 3rd party program that is obviously cheating I don't care how they play. I saw a video of a guy using a Wii Remote and PS Move controller to play CoD, that was awesome and good for him. If it's more comfortable for them then let them use whatever as long as it stay within the limitations set within the game/controller like XIM does.

I can't say Cronus or Keymander does however
Message 7 of 9 (237 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@DankToliet wrote:
@AnlbrdI agree, no one is really playing on the same level. My Elite/Scuf, Astro A40s, and 24"Monitor 1ms monitor you could easily see how I have the advantage over someone playing on a flatscreen/stock controller& headset.

As long as someone isn't using an actual 3rd party program that is obviously cheating I don't care how they play. I saw a video of a guy using a Wii Remote and PS Move controller to play CoD, that was awesome and good for him. If it's more comfortable for them then let them use whatever as long as it stay within the limitations set within the game/controller like XIM does.

I can't say Cronus or Keymander does however

*Off topic. I've been thinking of a monitor for a while now as I'm playing on a huge TV which is less then great for my setup. What are you using monitor wise? @DankToliet 

Message 8 of 9 (231 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

@Silz616Don't think, do it! I was a skeptic going from my 55" 4k in living room to my monitor. I did the research, watched the YouTube vids literally showing how you can see someone earlier with a side by side comparison of a TV vs Monitor. I'll never go back to a TV for FPS'S on console now.

VP278H 27" 1080P Gaming Monitor
Model: VP278H-P
Is the model I got, 27" not 24"sorry

Message 9 of 9 (214 Views)