Re: Utility Items in Apex

by ShadoWawker

Original Post

Utility Items in Apex

★ Guide

I've seen lots of people talk about where Apex could expand to, and what some things they could potentially do in the future are. Something I'd be really interested in seeing are some utility-type items you could find as loot around the map or in care packages.

I'm defining Utility-type items as things that can change gameplay up that aren't just plain weapons or body armour.

Some things I think would be cool or that I've heard other people mention are:

• Grenades
    • Smoke grenades
    • Flashbang-style grenades
    • Movement-impairing freeze/glue grenades
    • Random teleport grenade that scatters anyone hit around a small radius around it
  • Place-able Stuff
    • Barricades, maybe like knock-down shield type barriers with a durability on them, that increases with tier, that block bullets and movement.
    • Mines
    • General Traps
    • Something to reinforce doors so they take more hits to break/don't open with a wingman/peacekeeper
  • Attachments
    • Silencers
    • Flash-hiders

I think adding more stuff to vary up play style and give people more options would be neat. What are people's thoughts on stuff like this? What are your own ideas? This is just a brainstorm so feel free to throw up even crazy ideas (like a random teleportation grenade?!) they don't have to be feasible or particularly practical. I'm curious what crazy things people can think of, and I'd love to know what people think of what I've said - where you'd have to be careful and what you'd pay attention to when balancing - like with a smoke grenade, you'd have to make sure it didn't make Bangalore obsolete and that digital-threats/bloodhounds weren't too strong.

Message 1 of 7 (335 Views)

★★ Guide

I think general gameplay is good right now

Imo they should be careful because utility items can cause issues

Like mines and traps can lead to very cheap feeling deaths as well as an increase in campers

Flash hider would be good, but silencer would lead to much less action because if you cant hear gunfire from far away then theres no fight to run towards and it would make the game much slower

Smoke grenade seems like a reasonable addition (depending on how they feel as you mentioned with bangalore)

Flashbangs i would be against because i think it doesnt fit well in the game

Message 2 of 7 (314 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
Love the freeze/glue grenade ideas.

Like a frag, they can be avoided and both wouldn't deal any or much damage, presumably. They sound like great additions to me.

I would imagine a freezing grenade would freeze enemies directly hit for about a second then leave the surrounding area covered in ice so movement would be quick, slipping and sliding.

A glue grenade maybe just leaves glue around the surrounding area so no one can slide and movement is slower over that area for ... 10 seconds or so?
Message 3 of 7 (290 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@ShadoWawker wrote:

I think general gameplay is good right now

Imo they should be careful because utility items can cause issues

Like mines and traps can lead to very cheap feeling deaths as well as an increase in campers

Flash hider would be good, but silencer would lead to much less action because if you cant hear gunfire from far away then theres no fight to run towards and it would make the game much slower

Smoke grenade seems like a reasonable addition (depending on how they feel as you mentioned with bangalore)

Flashbangs i would be against because i think it doesnt fit well in the game

You see, we can agree on some things. I agree with everything here, but I wouldn't want smokes either. We have Bangalor for that.

To @Nightstick24. Movement inhibitors can be very frustrating and cheap feeling. The speed of play in Apex is great, and most of your ideas would be introducing ways to hamper that movement. The Arcstar stuns movement as to the airstrikes from Bangor and Gib. We don't want to stop movement to easily imo.

The gameplay is great. I want to see stability improvements server side, which I'm hoping is something addressed in the 1.1 update.

Message 4 of 7 (277 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I feel like placeable items are best served to a specific legend (i.e. Caustic). If additional traps would be added (supposedly Wattson will have electric traps) they make sense for that character. If there would be general traps that it would cause a lot more camping with multiple people throwing down a half dozen traps in a room and hunkering down.

Just my opinion. 

Message 5 of 7 (266 Views)

★ Guide

arc stars are basically flash bangs though.

Message 6 of 7 (252 Views)

★★ Guide

@DadPhilly wrote:

arc stars are basically flash bangs though.

Well you could say they sort of fit that role in the game but they are different

Arc star slows and distorts vision and does damage

Flash bang would not slow and would blind completely (assuming a direct hit) and would do minimal damage if any

So it would still be a different item i just dont think it would work well in apex

Message 7 of 7 (243 Views)