Re: Upcoming Battlefield editions ideas

by ivrognard

Original Post

Upcoming Battlefield editions ideas

Hi everyone

What about a Battlefield staged in the Napoleontic wars, the Crusades, Roman Wars or the Viking invasions.

Oh, my God, how I would love to fight as a Roman soldier in a testudo formation.

Personally I always liked swords more then  fire arms. I tend to find swords more elegant and mystic, but that's my personal opinion.

What do you guys (and girls) think?

Message 1 of 12 (556 Views)

[ Edited ]

Sengoku for meStandard smile

Just imagine the time of the Japan unification and all those duels that happened on the battlefield. Or maybe something set in the Three Kingdoms setting. The macedonian conquest also seems cool to me. 

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 2 of 12 (538 Views)

@ivrognard

So you like the samurai way of battle. Well, so do I. For lord, honor and duty, otogani ni rei! Standard smile

Message 3 of 12 (530 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Well, in that case it will not be Battlefield because Battlefield always has vehicle (tanks, jets and etc.), firearms (Guns; Grenades and other weapons)  and minimum 4 classes  (Assault; Engineer;Support; Recon). I can't imagine how Battlefield will be look in Napoleonic wars. 

Message 4 of 12 (505 Views)

[ Edited ]

Actually, it's just a convention that we, the players. invented.

The series is called Battlefield and because of that it can use whatever setting it wants. From the dawn of humanity until the future, as long as there is  a combat, any battlefield can be used in the series.

Did anyone expected the popularity of the Battlefield 1? A game that has an unusual setting, to say the least, and a very underused one. I

Speaking about Napoleonic armies, I can equal assault with the charges of the dragoons, engineers existed at the time,  too, support can equal with the grenadiers (the french had grenadiers regiments and the british had those, too, the grenadiers being considered elite troops at the time) and recon with the marksmen squads that existed even at the time (actually the marksmen existed since time immemorial and scouts were employed by armies since the ancient wars). The roles in Battlefield weren't invented in the modern times. They've existed in various forms since the dawn of the ancient history. I could probably take any era and find the equivalents for those roles. 

I would love to see EA experimenting with various settings. I mean, who expected for For Honor to become popular?! Or Chivalry?! Would be interesting to see a Battlefield set in the Korean War, the american war between the North and South, the 100 years wars and so on. The series has more potential than modern warfare. A properly made game in an ancient setting can prove fun. 

P.S.: a marksman was called the archer, the crssobowman, the arquebusier, the musketeer and anyone that could shoot a long-range weapon with great accuracy. 

P.P.S: @IIPrest0nII hope i did not come as a raving madman. I can get very passionate about games and historyStandard smile

Will leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvU8LaE0-xw

And even more fitting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zSowOS4Wyg

Standard smile

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 5 of 12 (488 Views)

There are indeed lots of options and interesting alternatives for vehicles in ancient warfare (like the roman testudo formation or the Greek phalanx formation) + there should be more tactical fun because the main infantary didn't have a lot of reach, they were using muskets or halbreds or even spears if we go way back in time. It would be a total new "tactical feeling". Can't wait to have battlefield in such an ancient setting. :-)

Message 6 of 12 (476 Views)
Highlighted

@DarkBanishing I love japanese history. It was a tumultous one and the warriors played an important role since ancient times. It's full of contrasts. There was honor and duty, yes. But the most successful daimyo in the Sengoku era were the ones that gave up on those. People like Oda Nobunaga, like Toyotomi Hideyoshi and like Tokugawa Ieyasu. Those people won their battles using all the advantages that they could muster: firearms, cannons, ambushes, terror, diplomacy, politics. Most of them weren't great warriors like Takeda or Uesugi or Mitsuhide or Date. But all were great generals, ready to drop the whole honor/duty code to win their wars.

Definitely Sengoku was an interesting era. Shame that Hideyoshi and Tokugawa did not continue Nobunaga's politics: religious freedom (Nobunaga allowed christian missionaries in his territories, supported buddhism, but also the local religion, too), free trade, advancing in ranks people for their merits (Hideyoshi was the son of a peasant and not part of nobility or of the samurai class and was advanced in rank as a general for his actions), supporting culture, new technolgies and tactics. Nobunaga was vilified for his unorthodox tactics and actions for centuries, though recently i've noticed a certain current that might end up in acknowledging the man's merits and faults in a more accurate manner.

A good introduction reading about the samurai is The Samurai: A New History of the Warrior Elite by Jonathan Clements (the man is not an actual historian, but he definitely did his homeworks, his book being published in "A brief history of" book series). The book covers the ancient times up to the Satsuma Rebellion and also has included a wealth of sources to go to after this intro book.

Probably could go on, but i am afraid that i might bore to death people on the boardsStandard smile

Message 7 of 12 (459 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hey @ivrognard, I'm still alive after reading your post. Lol Wink

Nice to hear other passionate history lovers on the forum. My favourite eras  are the ancient and medieval one. I also like the history of the great wars.

Message 8 of 12 (426 Views)

To be honest, i would love to have more access to various countries history. Especially from the likes of South America, Asia and Africa. World's history is fascinating (my opinion) and deserves to be better known. 

I certainly can understand the appeal of the ancient Greece or Roman Empire, the medieval wars and the chivalry tales. But, i am more interested about the history as a whole. I like to see the history from all the possible angles: economy, society, culture and so on. After all, the history covers a lot of other domains and is using them to better understanding of a certain era. 

Yeah...ranting again. Maybe because i meet less and less people interested in my hobbyStandard smile

Message 9 of 12 (419 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Seeing how well BF1 turned out, I would kick it up a notch and do the Civil war from the USA.

North vs South !

DLC : The black regiment

Message 10 of 12 (411 Views)