Un-nerf Wattsons damage intake. Unnecessary.

by ColdHours

Original Post

Un-nerf Wattsons damage intake. Unnecessary.

★★★★ Pro

After playing with other legends, it's fairly obvious that Wattson should not have received the 5% damage increase. Her hotbox is nowhere near Lifelines, Octanes, Wraith or even the broken one Pathfinder still has to date. Just because "Pro" players utilized her tacticals and Ultimate does not mean her as a character was out of reach on hit detection. This was very unnecessary and should be undone. The Ultimate I could see. But the damage. Really!?  A few quotes and accompanied link will be included. Quit the hate because it was meta in a high stakes pro player atmosphere. This does nothing but punish the regular at home players and puts a stain on the game.

"It was really a bizarre choice. I mean ya I get that Watson was really powerful in xgames but it wasn't because she was that small it was more just because her ultimate is so useful for people who need to camp tiny spaces and to eliminat grenades from contention was huge. A tiny 5% increase in damage is not going to do anything to alter that, something has to be altered on her ultimate if they want any change."

^^Agreed. Which said alteration did occur on the ultimate. With the following unneeded damage penalty added.

"It's easier to win with just hiding in buildings and fence everything, so they make her easier to kill to compensate that? My guess."

"That's what you have to resort to when you have zero escape abilities. The low profile debuff now further legitimized her need to bunker in a building."

^^^Pretty much.

"its for high level play. In diamond and apex predator she is used in every game, this is so other characters can get used at the high level while noy affecting her too much for plebs like us"

^^^^^^THIS.  Doesn't apply to the majority of Apex players.

"Pathfinder still has a f* hitbox and the most powerful kit in the game just about. Yet nothing has been done. But Yea, let's nerf lifeline and wattson."

^^^Yes. Indefinitely.

"They're just flat nerfing whatevers meta"

^^^Yes, again. Minus Pathfinder. Obviously.

Unfair Wattson damage increase

Message 1 of 8 (587 Views)

Re: Un-nerf Wattsons damage intake. Unnecessary.

@ColdHours " Quit the hate because it was meta in a high stakes pro player atmosphere."

They should not build games based on feed back from pro-players alone, they represent less than .5% of the player population Diamond and Predator alone make up less than 5% of the player population. If they want to change characters for that 5% then make those changes affect the ranked matches in Predator and Diamond alone.

But giving the other 95-98% of the player population garbage that only works for 5% or less the player population is a bad business decision IMO. Building a game based on feedback from 5% (or less) of the player population is just a bad business model. What are you doing to the remaining 95%?!

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 8 (567 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@DarthValtrex  Highly agree on this. That 95% keeps the business going. Trickle down economics is proven not to work irl. And the same applies to the digital world. Quit catering to these people that spread the so called gospel of Apex. They win money as their career entails. But spend very little in the grand scheme of things compared to the vast majority. 

Message 3 of 8 (561 Views)

@ColdHours One big thing I've noticed in almost all games I've played. Certain guns, certain characters always become favored because they have strong points.

That leads to people complaining it should be nerfed and the weak stuff should be buffed. After the nerfing and buffing other characters and guns become the favorites.

Certain instances certain things should be buffed or nerfed. I think the one argument they could make in favor of nerfing Wattson was that in normal/non-ranked pro players would have a huge advantage.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 4 of 8 (550 Views)

★★★★ Pro

On the double ultimate that could be placed one would see. But I'm strictly speaking of the low profile nerf. Her hit box was at a happy medium. No need to punish that with a damage increase. Her frame is no less than that of Bloodhounds or Mirage. The punishment was placed to curb that of "pro" players from using her. It did nothing for the actual community.

Message 5 of 8 (546 Views)

★★★★ Pro

These types of nerfs really shine on the title especially when it's plagued with connective issues. These are not LANs were playing on. But dysfunctional servers. Wraiths debuff has counters. Portals and immunity. Lifeline counters with heals. Octane with speed. Wattson?...Barricades? That can easily be taken out. The difference pales in comparison.  Her movements are not fluent and slightly less than clunky. One is forced to pocket themselves in hopes that they do not get pressed and overran. The damage increase was a bad decision and overall impacted game play. This is why the decision of reversal on the issue should be considered.

Message 6 of 8 (521 Views)

Champion

I just find the wattson debuff counter productive to her "class type". I'm not saying by any means she should receive the fortified passive but low profile was a bit of a drastic move as she's the only "defensive" legend that takes a extra incoming damage rather than negating it.

That being said she's still a strong legend regardless of the fact that she's taken a few debuffs.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 7 of 8 (475 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@MandatoryIDtag  I agree. She still has her strengths. And she doesn't need to be fortified as the hit box is not that of Gibralter or Caustic. But for the role of a defense character, to knick the health was a bad call. Wattson needs to stay healthy. One could only hope that down the line this will change.

Message 8 of 8 (429 Views)