Re: Twilight chomper comm challenge

by utrominspace

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@asabaida 

Mean-spirited? That's uncalled for.

In all walks of life be it work, sports, whatever and that includes games, cheating is reprehensible and that is what is at stake here and which you seemingly have difficulty in seeing. If one cannot meet the requirements of a given task then one should take it on the chin and accept that one just isn't up to it.

In GW's case, if one fails to meet the requirements, those special characters will at some time be made available for all to obtain whatever that person's level of skill. And here, despite what can be said about PopCap's technical handling of the game, theirs is a consideration that should be acknowledged, as everyone will at some stage be able to start from the same character base when playing.

As regards kids. I wouldn't worry about them. My son and daughter (8 and 9 respectively) and some of their mates and their friends on the net are as good as I am, if not better, and have no problem whatsoever in competing and occasionally winning against all comers be it on the EC, WC and Europe servers. I doubt very much if my kids and their friends are exceptional.

You are probably right that I do stand alone on this issue, as I find it depressing that people tend to find it acceptable that games can be manipulated either by tweaking software or as in this case by using some underhanded method in getting a character that defeats the whole idea of the Community Challenge. The latter which surprises me that you condone.

If I stand alone on this so be it and see no need to discuss this further.

Message 11 of 19 (1,299 Views)

★ Guide

I'm just disappointing that Solo matches don't count. I don't touch any of the competitive multiplayer stuff in this game, and since the previous community challenges worked with bots I figured this one would too. Now It's impossible for me to get the new Chomper Variant unless I pay who knows how much for it.

Message 12 of 19 (1,285 Views)

★★★ Guide
it is possible, i did 473 vanquishes for just overall 5-6 hours playtime, in two days, i was doing like 20-30 vanquishes per round, so sorry but isn't mission impossible, still there's 4 days left, that's a lot of time
Message 13 of 19 (1,257 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Seriously @keaton_fox ? So you _choose_ not to play a full 50% of the game's contents (the online portion) and then complain you can't get a reward based on playing the part of the game that you _choose_ not to play. If you want it, then jump into online and play. Hell, the community requirement was met by Friday afternoon. That leaves 400 player-vanquishes as your only requirement. So jump in and play! What are you saving yourself for? And why are you complaining about rewards that are specific to different modes? There are rewards specific to Garden and Graveyard Ops, as well as each of the game modes, the characters, and each of the teams. If you refuse to play certain modes, characters, or teams, then you can't get those rewards. What's the problem?

You remind me of someone I saw posting back in GW1 days. They were complaining about the game's lack of content. They also stated they only played team zombie, and they only played the attack team, and they only played online. That's less than 25% of the game! They willfully chose (as are you) to play a mere fraction of the game. If you want to do more, then play the other modes. If you want the online rewards, then play the online modes. It's not rocket science. Seriously, I don't see what you are complaining about. smh

Message 14 of 19 (1,246 Views)

★ Guide

@drabbon wrote:

Seriously @keaton_fox ? So you _choose_ not to play a full 50% of the game's contents (the online portion) and then complain you can't get a reward based on playing the part of the game that you _choose_ not to play. If you want it, then jump into online and play. Hell, the community requirement was met by Friday afternoon. That leaves 400 player-vanquishes as your only requirement. So jump in and play! What are you saving yourself for? And why are you complaining about rewards that are specific to different modes? There are rewards specific to Garden and Graveyard Ops, as well as each of the game modes, the characters, and each of the teams. If you refuse to play certain modes, characters, or teams, then you can't get those rewards. What's the problem?

You remind me of someone I saw posting back in GW1 days. They were complaining about the game's lack of content. They also stated they only played team zombie, and they only played the attack team, and they only played online. That's less than 25% of the game! They willfully chose (as are you) to play a mere fraction of the game. If you want to do more, then play the other modes. If you want the online rewards, then play the online modes. It's not rocket science. Seriously, I don't see what you are complaining about. smh

I used to play online multiplayer games against human players. But Team Fortress 2 has really broken me several years ago. Just couldn't handle the constant one-hit-kills, scummy player tactics, constant losing. I've long since lost all my self confidence in PVP multiplayer against human players. I enjoyed Garden Warfare 1 for it's PvE mode, and what little PVP I've done. Which was usually as the blimps dropping support. Garden Warfare 2 impressed me with how much more PVE solo bot support it got. Especially with how many of the community challenges worked for solo bot games.

Sometimes I wonder about trying Garden Warfare 2's PVP modes, but then I just think of how I almost spend as much time waiting to respawn than playing. In games like Team Vanquish I'm a detriment to my team, what with me being vanquished WAY more than me vanquishing the enemy. The only mode I think I might consider would be the Welcome Mat. Since it doesn't allow variants, unique abilities, upgrades, whatever's OP at the moment, and buffs players who die over and over again.

Message 15 of 19 (1,228 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi guys -

Since this thread is getting a little contentious, I'd just like to pop in to ask that we all remain civil and respectful.  So far, so good, for the most part!

I have two brief points to make:

1)  400 vanquishes in multiplayer is a bit of work if you're not at least an average skill player, but it's not an outrageous amount.  If you want the character badly enough, it's more than do-able.  The math adds up to about 57 vanquishes per day over seven days.

2)  Vanquishing a friend in the back yard is NOT cheating.  PvP in the backyard is an inherent part of this game, a huge improvement over GW1 in this regard.  When you have up to four players allowed in a yard, one can hardly expect the game to divine the intention of the players who are vanquishing each other.  I certainly exploited this a bit to level up some character variants that I hated playing.  Pretty much everyone I know did a bit of back yard exploitation to level up.  A little cheap?  Yes,  But "cheating?"  Come on.  Who exactly are they cheating?

Message 16 of 19 (1,225 Views)

★★ Guide

Honestly i agree with @keaton_fox on this one, i despise multiplayer because of the players, nearly every MP game i join has some chompers who just burrow into a big pile of zombies and die as soon as they eat one, then there's the pogo peas who like to hyper and bounce around making them a pain to hit with root abilities (bolt blaster, gatling, etc.) and there is the dark drones flying around and wreaking havoc with their insane dps, it's just terrible, so i prefer to play solo as well, the CPUs may have incredible aim, but at least they aren't pogo peas and stun spam engineers.

Message 17 of 19 (1,219 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@pandareno1999

2)  Vanquishing a friend in the back yard is NOT cheating.  PvP in the backyard is an inherent part of this game, a huge improvement over GW1 in this regard.  When you have up to four players allowed in a yard, one can hardly expect the game to divine the intention of the players who are vanquishing each other.  I certainly exploited this a bit to level up some character variants that I hated playing.  Pretty much everyone I know did a bit of back yard exploitation to level up.  A little cheap?  Yes,  But "cheating?"  Come on.  Who exactly are they cheating?

Re yr. point 2: I agree it is cheap, but it is equally clear that it's ALSO cheating. You're defeating the whole point of the challenge.

This guy on YouTube (if that's what you're referring to) had worked out that by standing at a particular point in the sewers, using the split screen and having two controllers (no friends involved in his case), he could ensure that the character connected to his other controller respawned right in front of him. Entailing that he'd get his 400 vanquishes within a 20-minute session rather than the intended 5 days!

It's just as bloody frustrating to hear this, as when they gave away the Goat Hoverboard and the Torchwood after having spent hours and effort when passing the Gnomus trials (the same frustration GW1 max rankers have with talk of giving away the Unicorn Chomper). What's the point in having these challenges except it's for the dummies who try to live up to the game's intentions. I'm surprised that there are people on this forum who defend this sort of gameplay.

Message 18 of 19 (1,206 Views)

★★★ Novice

@xIsraelHandsx wrote:

@pandareno1999

Re yr. point 2: I agree it is cheap, but it is equally clear that it's ALSO cheating. You're defeating the whole point of the challenge.

This guy on YouTube (if that's what you're referring to) had worked out that by standing at a particular point in the sewers, using the split screen and having two controllers (no friends involved in his case), he could ensure that the character connected to his other controller respawned right in front of him. Entailing that he'd get his 400 vanquishes within a 20-minute session rather than the intended 5 days!

It's just as bloody frustrating to hear this, as when they gave away the Goat Hoverboard and the Torchwood after having spent hours and effort when passing the Gnomus trials (the same frustration GW1 max rankers have with talk of giving away the Unicorn Chomper). What's the point in having these challenges except it's for the dummies who try to live up to the game's intentions. I'm surprised that there are people on this forum who defend this sort of gameplay.

Everyone forgets this is a kids game not a hardcore game. Stop trying say it unfair to everything that people do. Kids cheat yes kids collect also which  tying up unicorn chomper over a work challenge is unfair to little kids a like. Adults should grow up and let kids get the characters they want and how they want to get them. If this was a hardcore mature game I would say yes tying up unicorn chomper is the way to go for a adult game. Yet this is a kids games and i’m Sick of adults think they know best when they are to blame half time for what has happen to the world.

Message 19 of 19 (1,190 Views)