Re: Trying to buy my child an expansion pack physically impossible?

by wydannaa

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Trying to buy my child an expansion pack physically impossible?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hi,

Some background: A while back my child wanted to buy The Sims 4, so I made an underage (child) account for her and after a couple of hours of reading on the EA website, trying stuff and attempting to get the customer support to understand my problem finally someone from customer support managed to just move the game from my account to my childs. It's possible that I was just being an idiot but it seemed very difficult if not impossible to do this without buying the game from like a retail store.

Fast forward to a week ago: My daughter has saved up for an expansion pack which is now 50% off, she's been asking me for it every day since. So since it was hard to find a clear guide on how to do this I contact customer support:

• Customer support tells me to buy the expansion on my own account, then find the product key and enter it on the underage account
  • I buy the expansion on my own account and there is no product key anywhere
  • I find a page saying expansion packs don't have product keys
  • Customer support tells me to get a refund
  • There is no refund option, then I find a page saying you can't refund DLC's

Now I clearly remember that when I bought it the buy page said I could withdraw from the purchase within 14 days if I didn't download the content (which I didn't). What the hell?

I also asked the guy if there is any way to upgrade my child's account to an adult account so I could purchase it directly on hers, but he said there isn't.

Is there any way I can get my daughter the expansion pack? If not, can I at least get a refund for the expansion pack? I don't even own the game on my main account so I don't have a use for it. If there is no other way I'm also okay making a separate adult account for her, but I don't want to have to pay for everything twice (the original game aswell as the expansion). Could the original game be transferred from the child account to a new adult account?

As you can imagine the frustration is building up and some solutions would really ease the butthurt. Thanks alot.

Simon

Message 1 of 3 (470 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

Hey @harambe2049,

Sorry to hear this has been such an ordeal just to get your daughter playing a game.

Child accounts are subject to some additional restrictions by law, so we are fairly limited in which actions can be taken in that regard.

This page goes a bit more into the various limitations of an underage account and may be worth checking into, as does this article.

Typically digital games are automatically claimed on the account where they're purchased and would not have a separate key to enter elsewhere. Physical copies of the game would still have a key that can be redeemed manually.

As you don't own the base game on your own account support should generally be able to assist with a refund of the DLC, though a couple other factors play into this and support would need to take a look at your account specifically.

Regarding upgrading your child's account or transferring that content to an adult account for her, this is not an option for legal purposes if she's still a minor.

Beyond that however, I'm afraid we are unable to make any changes to an account via the forums, so in this case you would need to reach back out to support to see what other options they may be able to offer if you speak with someone else. Apologies for the hassle, hopefully this clarifies a few points for you.

Mako.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (443 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey @harambe2049,

Sorry to hear this has been such an ordeal just to get your daughter playing a game.

Child accounts are subject to some additional restrictions by law, so we are fairly limited in which actions can be taken in that regard.

This page goes a bit more into the various limitations of an underage account and may be worth checking into, as does this article.

Typically digital games are automatically claimed on the account where they're purchased and would not have a separate key to enter elsewhere. Physical copies of the game would still have a key that can be redeemed manually.

As you don't own the base game on your own account support should generally be able to assist with a refund of the DLC, though a couple other factors play into this and support would need to take a look at your account specifically.

Regarding upgrading your child's account or transferring that content to an adult account for her, this is not an option for legal purposes if she's still a minor.

Beyond that however, I'm afraid we are unable to make any changes to an account via the forums, so in this case you would need to reach back out to support to see what other options they may be able to offer if you speak with someone else. Apologies for the hassle, hopefully this clarifies a few points for you.

Mako.png
Message 2 of 3 (444 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@harambe2049 Stay away from EA
Message 3 of 3 (199 Views)