Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Told you so - Anthem isn't going away - Critics and the Community are wrong:

by 000No-Mercy000

Original Post

Re: Told you so - Anthem isn't going away - Critics and the Community are wrong:

★★★ Apprentice

@TheReal_USA_MAGA 

"EA's best selling game ever in digital downloads.  I repeat:  EA's best selling game ever in digital downloads.  Let that sink in - that means FIFA and Madden dropped below that particular financial sledge hammer boys."

Source with literal actual numbers? Any info I've found on the topic all boils down to Anthem's main distribution method being through digital download instead of physical copies compared to past games when said method wasn't as mainstream yet. I.e. It says nothing to the overall longevity of Anthem when EA themselves admited it performed far lower than their expectations.

Even then, they literally did so by virtue of false advertising the game's features. Saying what you've said only have gone to prove that EA and BioWare's practice are as scummy as it can get, yet you boast it as if it's well deserved coupled by the fact that an active playerbase is the lifeline of a games a service yet the playerbase for this game has been disconcerting at best as of late.

"During the conference call, CFO/COO Blake Jorgensen said, "We continue to invest heavily in Anthem, with developers working on game quality, content, systems and game mechanics. It's great original IP and we've doubled down on the product." The company then restated its commitment to the IP, saying that BioWare will continue to support and improve the shooter going forward."

Cause they need to make a Return On Investment for the pretty much wasted 7 years of wishy washy mismanagement in development. To give up on the title now when it's supposed to be EA/ BioWare's 10 year magnum opus would just mean millions of dollars invested in this game on top of the aforementioned 7 years are wasted with nothing to show; i.e. surefire way to lose investors.

"The game will stand on the 3 pillars I outlined earlier but which I will restate here:

• The Anthem of Creation - Frankly the loss of the name 'Beyond' became the best thing that ever happened to this game.  Don't like the world? Don't like the enemies?  Screw it - the Anthem will pull in something different or move you to an entirely new plane of existence or dimension.  Don't like the laws of physics?  To hell with it - the Anthem can change those to.  Brilliant - absolutely brilliant.  Creativity is virtually unlimited and totally unshackled.  Good luck killing that
  • The Javelins themselves - you could lie and pretend they're terrible but these are clearly the most awesome moving things in gaming right now.  Don't believe me?  Here, argue with an expert:  https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/10/18304440/anthem-combat-game-design-animation
  • The games premise rests strongly within the Archetype of the Modern Gamer's Psyche:  The mix of Iron Man Suits vs Dungeon and Dragon type monsters is an Archetype of the modern gamer who has grown up or will grow up battling both

Now they have work to do - no doubt (increase those Legendary drops would ya) - but there are some ultra strong underpinnings on this IP. It won't just go away. "

• The Anthem of Creation - All the points you made in this one is just incessant rambling trying to justify the inconsistent nature of unbridled "creativity" You bash on the tentative term of "Beyond" when it literally helps describe the aspects you like on how things in the game's lore can very well go beyond laws of physics, etc yet you belittle it which ironically only shows how close minded and hypocritically uncreative you are.
  • The Javelins themselves - you could lie and pretend that they're fine the way they are but their related concept are nothing new; soldier/ ranger archetype, mage archetype, tank archetype, and assassin archetype. The most awesome moving thing in gaming? Try Warframe's multitude of frames, weapons, skills, etc. With how janky netcode is handled and rubberbanding is in Anthem, these animations you so much applaud ends up looking unpolished at best, pathetically outdated at worst. Citing an "expert" on the field when all she said has been done prior is just feigning ignorance on the fact that said mechanic existed prior pretty much points on your ignorant whiteknight mindset.
  • It doesn't matter if the game's premise rests within the archetype of modern gamer's psyche if the delivery is utter garbage. The reason Iron Man as a superhero concept took off was because it was done right in the silver screen compared to its past comic outings. Anthem's delivery has nothing but disappointment time and time again, even the concepts such as D&D type enemies literally act no differently than any that has been showcase in Borderlands, Warframe, etc which only shows how archaic and out of time Anthem's development is. It should have learned from the past and it has done nothing to prove its supposed value proposition instead.

Yes, they have A LOT of work to do - and that's a factual state of the game due to its shoddy, unfinished nature. It won't just go away because blind whiteknights like you keep on making this lalaland scenario where this game is all that is right in the industry thereby allowing * excuse of a * that is Anthem's launch state on top of EA admitting its sales are lower than expected. 

Message 31 of 73 (439 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Apprentice

It doesn’t matter how much they sell, once people find a way to return it people will flock to get a refund. It sold great because it was marketed as a awesome game, little did we know it turned out to be a total flop! Full of bugs, false promises and total lack of future proof content. 

It it might have sold loads but the reviews are beyond awful and the majority don’t even play it anymore, over half the player base have been confirmed as missing never to return. 

So yes yes anthem is dying! It’s a flogged dead donkey! 

Message 32 of 73 (407 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

did they also say how its their most refunded game in history as well or how the player base is a very small fraction of what it was

did they also say how the road map has been postponed and they cant even delever on the content they had planned

YOU GO WHITE KNIGHT YOU GO HARD THIS IS WHAT WILL SAVE THIS MESS OF A GAME LOL FACEPALM

ID ALSO LIKE TO SEE HOW MANY OF THEM sales WERE orgin access at 15$ and never renewed their sub 

Message 33 of 73 (367 Views)

★★ Guide

@TheReal_USA_MAGA wrote:

EA's best selling game ever in digital downloads.  I repeat:  EA's best selling game ever in digital downloads.  Let that sink in - that means FIFA and Madden dropped below that particular financial sledge hammer boys.

During the conference call, CFO/COO Blake Jorgensen said, "We continue to invest heavily in Anthem, with developers working on game quality, content, systems and game mechanics. It's great original IP and we've doubled down on the product." The company then restated its commitment to the IP, saying that BioWare will continue to support and improve the shooter going forward.

The game will stand on the 3 pillars I outlined earlier but which I will restate here:

• The Anthem of Creation - Frankly the loss of the name 'Beyond' became the best thing that ever happened to this game.  Don't like the world? Don't like the enemies?  Screw it - the Anthem will pull in something different or move you to an entirely new plane of existence or dimension.  Don't like the laws of physics?  To hell with it - the Anthem can change those to.  Brilliant - absolutely brilliant.  Creativity is virtually unlimited and totally unshackled.  Good luck killing that
  • The Javelins themselves - you could lie and pretend they're terrible but these are clearly the most awesome moving things in gaming right now.  Don't believe me?  Here, argue with an expert:  https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/10/18304440/anthem-combat-game-design-animation
  • The games premise rests strongly within the Archetype of the Modern Gamer's Psyche:  The mix of Iron Man Suits vs Dungeon and Dragon type monsters is an Archetype of the modern gamer who has grown up or will grow up battling both

Now they have work to do - no doubt (increase those Legendary drops would ya) - but there are some ultra strong underpinnings on this IP. It won't just go away.  

youre delusional. its sold less than 6 million copies. 6 was their estimate and it fell BELOW that. so you are in an even more severe state of denial than EA, but EA has a vested interest in pretending the game is going to continue to be supported (whats your excuse?) because they saw what happened when they let the world know andromeda WASNT going to be supported (which by the way anthem sold HALF as many copies as). 

as a side note I dont know that I would call 6 people with Stockholm syndrome a "community".

Message 34 of 73 (351 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Multiple other horrible games also aren't going away for years now.

How does it make this one less of a dumpster fire again?

Broken product is still broken and it couldn't be more irrelevant what developers are saying. 

I can grow old giving out examples of X dev has said Y and then done the opposite.

The only thing that matters is what they are doing and at the moment they are doing absolutely nothing to fix the game.

Message 35 of 73 (351 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Their staff sure is going away, sure seems similar to what happened with ME:Andromeda, discontinued all support after a year or whatwasit. Just give it time. I mean, BioWare has the next Dragon Age under development and EA has multiple other upcoming games under their wing, where do you think all of their major assets are going to be allocated?

Now, I'm just speculating but it's possible that they don't want to keep working on a train-wreck of a game and get hated by people but can't just give up since that wouldn't go down well (well except in ME:Andromedas case, people forget about that), certainly seems that way by the lack of effort about doing anything much to actually improve the game, except tunnelvision their roadmap forward with small content drops but mostly cosmetics to keep up appearences. I of course understand this, took 6 years to get to what we got now so can't expect much in nearly 4 months Anthem has been out now.

Message 36 of 73 (329 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@Dalistar17 wrote:

85% of the issues are solved by fixing the loot. Something Bioware does not know how to fix. That should worry people that they can't fix something so simple.

That is not even close to accurate. If they turn up the loot faucet people will very quickly realize there is nothing to do. There is no endgame here and that is far more serious than the loot situation.

Message 37 of 73 (315 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

One good thing I can report.  I have not come up against any tired faces in Anthem as yet.  That has to put it leaps and bounds above Andromeda.

Message 38 of 73 (283 Views)

★ Apprentice

You're absolutely right. Players take breaks with every game for every conceivable reason.

Anyone who would permanently give up on a title simply because it wasn't good enough for them at that time isn't a rational person.

If it's not good now, quit. That's rational.

If it becomes good later, I'm still not coming back. That's irrational and spiteful. 

I'm certain that all manner of quality of life improvements will occur throughout the life cycle of Anthem. There is plenty of room for improvement, but it stands on a foundation that is solid in concept and design. I haven't been as excited for any other game as much as I was for Anthem.

Is the current state of Anthem disappointing? Yes. I feel it is. Does that mean I'm going to get mad at the game and permanently quit out of spite in response? Absolutely not. I will always have hope that future improvements will bring the title where I feel it should be.

I still love the game. I am just currently frustrated because I feel the current matchmaking system 15 minute restrictions have discouraged players looking for full teams to complete GM3 content from even attempting to select GM3 difficulty at all.

I personally don't want to do legendary missions/legendary contracts/strongholds on GM3 because I realize the likelihood of having to solo the content. That isn't fun for me. GM3 takes way too long to solo (strongholds seem almost impossible to solo on GM3). 

What I do want is to do legendary missions/contracts/strongholds on GM3 with a group because it's still challenging, but doesn't feel like trying to pushing a boulder uphill while being continuously shot in the *.

The 15 minute matchmaking restriction is blocking the possibility of players joining me after the first 15 minutes, which isn't likely because of the infrequency of players matchmaking into GM3 content. 

Message 39 of 73 (237 Views)

★ Apprentice

I don't understand why so many people have this instant gratification-inspired arbitrary time table for everything they perceive as wrong with Anthem being fixed. 

Wake up, everyone! This is the real world. It takes time to fix bugs and glitches. Bugs and glitches are a fact of life in programming major titles (realistically, any titles).

It's not like they can just press a button and fix a problem. Just because a problem isn't fixed in your arbitrary time table doesn't mean they are incompetent or ignorant or indifferent.

Some issues are difficult to resolve because they don't present themselves consistently. Try fixing an erratic bug that only presents itself under very specific conditions.

As a live player, you are still allowed to assist in bug fixes by identifying issues and as specifically as you can about the situation in which this bug presented itself. Do that rather than whine about bugs and glitches in general.

Ultimately, saying "your game is broken, fix it" doesn't do ANY amount of good. You have to be specific enough when identifying an issue in order for them to be aware of the problem and take steps to resolve it. 

When you talk about players "keeping faith" with BioWare fixing Anthem, you're basing all of your opinions on arbitrary time tables and what you personally feel (or read about what somebody else claimed to feel) they *couldn't* or *didn't* do.

Realize that *you* personally don't get to use your arbitrary estimations on how long it should take to complete a task and pretend they are realistic without having logical understanding of what that actually means. 

Message 40 of 73 (231 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help