Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: To the people saying "loot is fine"

by Loki_Deezie

Original Post

To the people saying "loot is fine"

★★★ Apprentice

i have seen a lot of discussions about all the different issues concerning anthem, from the QoL issues, to game breaking issues, disconnects, loot and many more.

while i cant really get myself to play anthem lately (and i have been hyped for anthem for a long time and defended it harshly after release) i do have my problems with the incredible amount of bugs... but the biggest concern is definetly the lack of progression.

ive played around 100hours of anthem and got 1 javelin at 788 and the others at early 700s, so i have been rather lucky with a lot of legendary drops (when comparing to other players that have played the same amount of time).

and yes... the biggest game breaker is the "loot system"

it is not that we need 10 legendaries in each mission, that would ruin the game. but u actually get to the point were the only gear improvement can be achieved thru legendary items pretty fast. and 99% of all drops aure useless spacefillers. so i have spent days playing for 3-5 hours without any progression... yes there are MW drops, they are useless. u get 1 legendary item, its useless cuz of bad inscriptions

we need changes to the loot system... that includes:

- changes to the crafting system

- being able to craft new inscriptions or change them (like in Diablo 3) on items with ember or other materials/items

- up the legendary droprate by a tiny amount at least

its just sad that in a looter-shooter (that is supposed to be grindy) you have no option for progression whatsoever and no reward for playing anymore.

you can play a game "just for the fun of playing around" for a while, but not for more than 30mins a day in my opinion.. at least thats how long i last in anthem in the past weeks before quitting.

so how can people say "the loot system" is fine?... its not only about the drop rate, its about most items being completely useless in an item-grind game.

Message 1 of 10 (217 Views)

Champion

The issue with spreading out the progression is, you end up with the playerbase spread out across that progression. Some people play more, some people play less. I don’t even have all Masterworks yet, but the friends I play with already have Legendary javelins.

And considering the fact that the loot cap is so low, you’re pretty much forced to scrap lower tier gear as you progress, making it problematic to go back and play with people who are undergeared. I keep a bunch of Epics lying around so I can queue for Normal and Hard to reinforce people who are new to the game or leveling new characters, but the truth is that even Epic gear is basically overpowered even for the Hard difficulty.

Unless they fundamentally redesign the progression system (such as, for example, make higher difficulty tiers based on enemy damage resistance, countered by resistance negation on your gear – as opposed to exponential hitpoint/damage increase), or introduce some way to “bolster down”/power match when playing with less geared players, you’ll just end up with a whole bunch of players who can’t even play with each others, while those who play 100 hours per week will still be at the progression cap and threatening to quit unless the progression is extended even further.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 2 of 10 (202 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Also, not everyone sees it as a “loot grinding game” in the first place. Some people have no interest in hardcore grind, and just want a game that can be played with friends a couple times a week. I’m still not entirely convinced Anthem was really ever meant to be a grindy “looter shooter” – or that there are compelling reasons for it to try to become one, for that matter.

I kinda feel like the endgame was actually meant to be about grinding coin for the customization options. Granted, I would argue that it kinda fails on that front, since the vanity store is a moving target, and the coin influx is so small that shards are the only practical way to get those items with any kind of regularity (which kinda makes people resent the idea of buying them at all). But that’s a different conversation.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

Message 3 of 10 (190 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

If there was just more to do. And with that more to do came better flow of that more to do. Then I think loot would be less of a main topic. 

But also, on the other hand. If they are going to make such crazy RNG with stat rolls across the weapon and ability board. Then we really just need to see mo4e of them dropping.

It's a looter shooter. We should be coming back from missions with 3 legendaries when the mission takes close to 30 minutes. Just need a fair trade off for time put in.

I guess. It's just my opinion though. Not saying I'm right.

Message 4 of 10 (180 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Guide

@twotoeMJ wrote:

If there was just more to do. And with that more to do came better flow of that more to do. Then I think loot would be less of a main topic. 

But also, on the other hand. If they are going to make such crazy RNG with stat rolls across the weapon and ability board. Then we really just need to see mo4e of them dropping.

It's a looter shooter. We should be coming back from missions with 3 legendaries when the mission takes close to 30 minutes. Just need a fair trade off for time put in.

I agree with some of this but not all of it.

30 minutes should not give 3 legendary in my opinion. I think 1 leg an hour is more of an acceptable range. But, what they I think they need to do is give us a way to reroll the inscriptions. So we can find the item we want, if it has crap inscriptions we can spend, lets say 100 MW embers, to reroll the inscriptions instead of tossing it and trying to find the item again, which may never happen. 

I have found well over 100 leg. I have only kept maybe 30 of them and most of them have useless inscriptions but the still are better (component wise). 

In that 100 leg I have yet to see Thunderbolt of Yvenia, Ten Thousand Suns, and many others. But I have seen maybe 10-15 Vassa's Surprise and Rolling Carnage.

At least with the ability to reroll the inscriptions, I can search for the item and not have to hope the inscriptions are useful and instead reroll them till I get the ones I want.

Message 5 of 10 (163 Views)

Champion

@Loki_Deezie wrote:

I agree with some of this but not all of it.

30 minutes should not give 3 legendary in my opinion. I think 1 leg an hour is more of an acceptable range. But, what they I think they need to do is give us a way to reroll the inscriptions. So we can find the item we want, if it has crap inscriptions we can spend, lets say 100 MW embers, to reroll the inscriptions instead of tossing it and trying to find the item again, which may never happen. 

I have found well over 100 leg. I have only kept maybe 30 of them and most of them have useless inscriptions but the still are better (component wise). 

In that 100 leg I have yet to see Thunderbolt of Yvenia, Ten Thousand Suns, and many others. But I have seen maybe 10-15 Vassa's Surprise and Rolling Carnage.

At least with the ability to reroll the inscriptions, I can search for the item and not have to hope the inscriptions are useful and instead reroll them till I get the ones I want.

I assume part of what's taking time to do some more changes to loot is considering the multitude of options they actually have.

I personally liked the idea of combining some of the less necessary inscriptions, like making one out of the various inscriptions for additional drops, and maybe getting rid of the gathering ones altogether. 

That would increase the chance to get an inscription you actually want.

I've been thinking about whether it would be a good idea to have a possibility to "merge" duplicates to raise one stat by a certain amount. For instance, you have the same weapon twice and sacrifice one to raise a damage inscription on the other by an additional +5 or +10 or something (not sure what would be a reasonable amount). Add a cap, so you can't get higher than the max that's dropping naturally.

That way you'd actually be happy to get a duplicate until you get one with god-rolls.

"From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire."

[Robert Frost - Fire and Ice]

I don't work for EA. The opinions I express are my own.
Message 6 of 10 (158 Views)

Champion

I do agree that a way to re-roll inscriptions would definitely be helpful. I also had a suggestion a suggestion for a system to do that a while ago. I also agree that crafting would be a great addition to the game.

It would still help to raise the Vault cap up from 250 if they’re going to do that though, since otherwise you wouldn’t really have much room to keep copies of the same item with inscriptions for different builds, and once you’re close to “best” rolls on what you have, there won’t really be any way to upgrade anything at all. And overall, given the number of different components and possibilities, I think this game has a better shot at having a viable horizontal progression” (trying different stuff), but unfortunately most people are used to having a vertical one (upgrading the same gun or two to be more powerful until you’re sick of it).

Message 7 of 10 (129 Views)

Champion

@cake404 wrote:

I do agree that a way to re-roll inscriptions would definitely be helpful. I also had a suggestion a suggestion for a system to do that a while ago. I also agree that crafting would be a great addition to the game.

It would still help to raise the Vault cap up from 250 if they’re going to do that though, since otherwise you wouldn’t really have much room to keep copies of the same item with inscriptions for different builds, and once you’re close to “best” rolls on what you have, there won’t really be any way to upgrade anything at all. And overall, given the number of different components and possibilities, I think this game has a better shot at having a viable horizontal progression” (trying different stuff), but unfortunately most people are used to having a vertical one (upgrading the same gun or two to be more powerful until you’re sick of it).

I think a lot of games train you to think that way if you want to do high difficulty content.

There is BIS gear, and that's what you need. Maybe little differences in skills and stats for different bosses.

Fun doesn't really factor into that.

So far I've found Anthem to be refreshingly different on that account.

"From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire."

[Robert Frost - Fire and Ice]

I don't work for EA. The opinions I express are my own.
Message 8 of 10 (122 Views)

Champion

Exactly. Some might still argue that there is “BIS” gear for higher difficulty content, but my impression so far is that it depends a lot more on party composition and cooperation than having that one specific build that’s better than anything else.

And besides, if we run a stronghold in thirty minutes with a different loadout and have fun in the process, that’s better than running it in twenty five minutes a thousand times with the same loadout just because it’s “more efficient.” I don’t play the game to be “efficient.” It’s not a job.

Message 9 of 10 (120 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

@twotoeMJ wrote:

Pretty much hit the nail on the head here.

I don't mind running stuff over and over but when there is no insightful progression for running that stuff over and over it just isn't much fun.

I have two suits at 700 something don't even remember. Log in once or twice a week now just to run one legendary mission and log out. 10 MW 3 or 4 blues and no upgrade of anything anymore it makes playing just a chore. THe game is fun when you can see some progression of something,heck any game is fun when there is a sense at least of upgrading.

And three legendary's wouldn't be a bad start because all three of them will probably be something you cant or won't use

Message 10 of 10 (103 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help