Re: Tired of playing the turning game in a dogfight

by Billkwando

Original Post

Tired of playing the turning game in a dogfight

★★★ Newbie

There has to be a better escape system. Otherwise you’re stuck going in circles with a guy until one of you either dies by another teammate or gets tired of turning the entire time. 

Message 1 of 10 (807 Views)

★★ Apprentice

There are better things to do. 

1. let him fly above your head in the turn, then boost straight and turn to joust

2. Alter throttle rate in your turn fight from 0 to 50 to 100 and back, this will stagger you and you'll break the turn fight

3. Go for a ram to make him break the turn fight

4. Call for support

5. Drop a mine

Just a few examples. 

Message 2 of 10 (793 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Get tight and fast with the terrain, put power to engines and use the boost and boost drift Play with the throttle don't just sit at max. Half throttle for fastest turns, max throttle (plus boost) to open up distance, cut throttle to try to make them overshoot or get so close they can't respond when you suddenly pull a boost drift. 

This game is actually great for it's seat of the pants flying, yes you can let yourself get into straight turn fights but unlike a lot of games there is almost always a better option than just trying to turn inside your opponent. 

Message 3 of 10 (786 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

There are multiple ways to get out of or win a turn fight. You can even avoid them outright if you have the right setup. Keep playing and learning. There are a lot of peopleb here willing to give advice. However, complaining in two threads back to back because you fought people who probably have years of flight sim experience is not the way to go about it.

Message 4 of 10 (761 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

It's because you're accepting the 1v1. It's 5v5.

If someone is trying take you in a 5 minutes turning circus,  just boost away, drift 180 degree and joust him if you think the trade will be positive for you, or circle through target to see if there's not another enemy low on health, go on him, help your friend who is shooting him. Perhaps you'll shake off the turning guy after you, and if not you're now 2v1 against him.

Message 5 of 10 (731 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Use boost drifting and the surroundings to your advantage. I have never experienced endless turning in this game.

I'm using the slam engine on my fighter setups which is great for boom and zoom tactics - can absolutely recommend it!

Message 6 of 10 (728 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

I try to boost away and start doing fancy turns using the battlefield objects around you and shake the person. (Unless you are on Yavin)

Also marking the attacker, for the team to attack helps a lot.

One thing I took inspiration from the movie was try not fly a straight line and avoid massive turns if you are being chased. Harder for people to aim.

/Atic

Message 7 of 10 (724 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I so rarly end up in turn fights in this game. I usualy use speed to go into the Zone fast, pull the Trigger and retreat to safe distance. Repeat. In preparation I cicle through targets to id low hp targets or Look out for high value targets like bombers. Also I ping my target, cause If someone joyns the Attack run its more likly to destroy the target. I don't mind ending up with an assist. Its a team Game after all.

Message 8 of 10 (682 Views)

★ Guide
@seanimusprime98 Target your attacker > Ping target.

If no one comes to assist you, you're on a team of d!ck$
Message 9 of 10 (656 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@H_Lecter wrote:

Use boost drifting and the surroundings to your advantage. I have never experienced endless turning in this game.

Exactly. Boost drifting was clearly their solution to this age old complaint that someone always end up referencing, as long as PVP flying games have existed. Like you said, obstacles are your friend.

You don't even have to 180. You can boost straight, and then turn up or down, so you're flying away in an L-formation. THEN regroup/loop back and attack (for example, when you do NOT want to go nose to nose with a TIE bomber....OR.... DO go nose to nose and spam dumbfire rockets.).

Message 10 of 10 (637 Views)