Re: Throwback Thursday - Show your first gaming system

by roberta591

Original Post

Throwback Thursday - Share your gaming memories

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

Hi everyone,

Get ready for a blast from the past, because it's Throwback Thursday time!

Stop by with a story or a picture, and share anything related to your best gaming memories. Let's get that nostalgia pumping!

How to share? Write a story that oozes nostalgia, or hit us with your favorite picture that you've found or kept. It's all good on #TBT.

Message 1 of 22 (977 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Hello!

My story is short. My parents bought my first console in my life and it was SEGA ! I had a lot of games on it, but my favorite game was Sonic. God, I played Sonic everyday, just 24/7. One fine moment my cartridge stopped working.  At that time there was no Technical Support and I didn't know what to do. This game didn't want to work.  Then, I didn't play anything until my parents bought my first PC, Pentium 4 and my first PC game was Worms 3D, it was a very funny game!

Thanks! :D

Message 2 of 22 (952 Views)

EA DICE Team

@IIPrest0nII

I was a Nintendo boy which back then made us rivals! But now we're grown up and have come together on Origin.. Party hat

I did also play a lot of Sonic at friends though. My family had the Nintendo, and my friends had the Sega. 

The first gaming console my parents ever bought my and my brother was a SNES:

snes_render_2_by_grayfoxdie-1.png

In terms of nostalgia this was probably my favorite system with some great games on it:

• Mario Kart
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Mario All-stars
  • Street Fighter
  • Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Mega Man X
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Earthworm Jim

and the list just goes on... great stuff!

My first actual experience with gaming was on a Windows 3.1 system with both Lemmings and Prince of Persia, must have been somewhere around 89 /90? We also did have something in the house which played Pacman, but I simply have no idea what it was!.

Ahhh feels good to get all nostalgic - thanks Thursday! :D

Lastly, @IIPrest0nII thanks so much for sharing! It's been a pleasure to read about your experiences and memories.. Standard smile

Message 3 of 22 (946 Views)

Hero

Bubble Bobble on a C64 is probably the first thing that ran on a system in my house.

a

Completing that game is still one of my biggest gaming accomplishments along with the horribly hard Turtles game that came with the NES Tongue out

b

carbonic signature

Message 4 of 22 (934 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Still sitting where it was decommissioned 100_4889.JPG

Message 5 of 22 (921 Views)
Highlighted

Hero (Retired)

Somebody mentioned LSL - that was a must for the library100_4888.JPG

Message 6 of 22 (920 Views)

EA DICE Team

@Carbonic

Going back, most NES games were actually deceptively difficult.. Devil

@roberta591

Oh wow - she's a true beauty! Awesome that you still have that system!

In regards to LSL, it's a great and hilarious game, but can't say that I was allowed to play that as a child.. ;-)

Message 7 of 22 (915 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

God this brings me back... thanks for making everyone feel old @Straatford87 !

@IIPrest0nII, I loved Sonic so much, one of the best games ever made and it had the best music! In terms of technical assistance for cartridge based games I think this is as far as everyone went:

My first gaming system was the NES, I spent so many hours on that console driving my parents crazy & they said playing video games would get me nowhere in life.. LOOK AT ME NOW MUM :eahigh_file: 

All kidding aside I actually came across my NES when I was visiting my parents over the summer: 

received_10205368691880291.jpeg

It had been locked away in this chest of treasures for years so it didn't work and was full of dust, but that's the good thing about the NES, it doesn't matter. I took it apart and cleaned it up:

received_10205370982857564.jpeg

That's what I love about this console so much, the simplicity of it, I think there's only 20 screws holding this beauty together. It only took me about 30 minutes to take it apart, clean it up & get it running again.

received_10205370983017568.jpeg

I have the console at home now along with a dozen games, I played through most recently and enjoyed them all. Super Mario is somehow still as good as the day it was released but my favorite one has to be the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles @Carbonic !

Heroes in a half shell, TURTLE POWER! 

Roger.png
Message 8 of 22 (904 Views)

Community Manager

Mine was the OG Gameboy, armed with Elevator Action and the mighty Tetris. 

Sometimes I miss the cheesy gamebox art of the early 90s.

elevatoraction.PNG

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 9 of 22 (891 Views)

★★ Guide

My first console ever was the Sega Game Gear! It was my mom's but she wasn't playing much so she decided to give it to us (with my brother and sister) and bought us some cool games.

I was playing Sonic, I don't remember the exact version but you could choose to play Sonic or Tails. 

There was also Ecco the Dolphin - this one was a bit hard to be fair as far as I remember. I had to play it with my brother because for some reason the game was in English and I couldn't understand what to do (at that time my brother wasn't super fluent either so we used to play with a dictionary next to us!). Just searching for pictures of the game made me nostalgic, I miss this game so much!

Oh and there was this weird Bugs Bunny game - I never understood what to do, and if it was a full game or a demo. I don't know if it was a platform game, if there was a story... we spent hours on this game and still had no idea what was going on. I should look into this now!

Looking at all the pictures makes me want to play these games again, I think my parents still have the console but I'm pretty sure the battery is completely dead... I know some games were adapted on PC (Ecco is on Steam now) but it's not the same experience!

Message 10 of 22 (887 Views)