Re: Thoughts on Engineer and support in general in BfN

by Provin915

Original Post

★★★★ Guide
@Iron_Guard8 He’s just pure annoyance since he can bum a turret and vanquish anything that moves. He should only be able to give a buff to teammates.
Message 11 of 25 (695 Views)

★★★ Guide
@malfinman Indeed. Honestly, Engineer is in a decent spot. It shouldn't get random nerfs because people don't know how to play against it... I understand it's a frustrating character, but remove the infinite ammo and increased shooting speed and Engineer get's clapped easily..
Message 12 of 25 (676 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

I honestly think that just making it so Engineers don't get buffs from the turrets would go a long way to fixing them. It's the constant uninterrupted spam that's the main issue with the character. The speed boost is not that great, even on TT and it's worse on modes like TV where you spawn all over the place, and it's easy to destroy. They nerfed the swarm mines awhile ago. 

Message 13 of 25 (640 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@Iron_Guard8Really? Engineer feels much more fun to play in BFN. Main reason for that is Double Time. Just so much fun to pull of trickshots with that especially in Battle Arena. His insane mobility leads to his surivability, his gun is fun to shoot with. I guess it's because I don't camp with Engineer I love running around dealing damage. But yeah the Turret is the questionable part and I agree with you there.

Message 14 of 25 (632 Views)

I think Engineer is unique, tricky, and not OP character. Those mean he is good character.

Some players say he is OP, but I believe most players (include I) can't use him much well, at least in Turf Takeover.

Message 15 of 25 (609 Views)

★★★ Guide
@shurikeninja Great points. The one thing that's fun about the character is the trickshots. I completely forgot about it, but yea the bouncing projectiles are too fun!
Message 16 of 25 (575 Views)

★ Guide

I'm sure everyone knows "the spot" for Engineer on Turning Point first objective. It has turned into an even bigger fragfest now with the Plant AI pathing very frequently and very predictably walking straight into the engineer death box over and over. It'd be nice to see the AI pathing be a bit less predictable when moving towards the objective.   

Message 17 of 25 (559 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@Iron_Guard8 Engineer doesn't have mobile support unlike Scientist with Healing Hose, and teammates don't stay near the Heavy Helper for Engineer to be considered support, so Engineer is forever alone when the Heavy Helper is placed down, if it could move it might help or the Engineer could control where it can go kinda like the Parrot Pal
Message 18 of 25 (533 Views)

★ Guide

Agree with @Provin915 regarding engineer overall. The rate of fire increase itself is great incentive, and I personally love to take advantage when I'm playing all star for example, but some other suggestions I want to throw out there regarding ammo regen if it were to be nerfed -  perhaps instead of "infinite" ammo, reduce the ammo replenish rate, so its like players would have "double" ammo capacity before overheat occurs or before having to reload. Or one step further, don't replenish ammo, but improve the reload times to twice as fast. Those are some "in-between" solutions aside from removing the ammo regen attribute entirely.

Something I read about often, as far as engineer actually supporting instead of playing selfishly, I think it's easier when the engineer knows the spots to plant the turret and other players can then join and take advantage. It's rather inconvenient to follow a random player around to support them with a turret, it's not like a sunflower heal beam, and other players can be unpredictable where they are moving or trying to go. Not to mention, there is a 15 second penalty when the heavy helper gets destroyed - this makes engineer think twice about where to plant it.

Nonetheless, there are quite a few great spots I can think of in Turf Takeover such as behind the statue/fountain on the first and third objective of Peachy District. Other spots are harder to describe but they are definitely out there on the TT maps. I've had instances playing engineer where certain players would follow/join me where I place the turret throughout Turning Point and other maps so I can say there certainly are engineers out there playing in the supportive role with teammates taking advantage!  Finally, in terms of map design, the developers do seem to appropriately limit the number of very strategic positions to place the turret, it would be OP if every objective of every map had "perfect spots" to support the team. 

Message 19 of 25 (506 Views)

★★ Pro

Limiting Engineer from using the full effects of his turret could be a good way to nerf him. He sometimes does feel like a defensive / support class. You can still kind of rush players with Double Time + Stun if they get in range. Not sure if it's balanced, but it is fun. I guess to put it simply, there is a bigger incentive for Engineer to camp rather than support his team.

Scientist still has the same problems since day one, which is that Warp activates instantly. He can still be played too aggressively, and the instant Warp allows too much survivability. I personally do not like Sticky Healy Thingy either and it's higher heal rate. Steam Blaster has great close range damage, and it doesn't help that some plants do really mediocre damage in comparison, like Corn, Sunflower, and probably Nightcap and Rose.

I also think Healing is kind of annoying. It completely shuts down a lot of important effects too like 80's tags, Butter Beacon, and Fire damage. It makes playing higher ROF classes less fun, but this is mostly due to their low damage output. In my opinion, the primary damage of some classes' are too low for them to kill supports effectively, and some of them are attack classes.

Message 20 of 25 (459 Views)