This is driving me nuts ...

by EdwardDLuffy

Original Post

This is driving me nuts ...

★ Expert

I've developed a habit of tensing up when starting a fight. So what, you may ask. The problem is I end up pressing down on the right stick unintentionally. This used to trigger the fabled "autopunch" feature so I switched melee and jump around, so now I "autojump".

I have tried countless mappings. I tried to switch R3 to the quip wheel (which I never use) but in fights the quip wheel pops up, obscuring my view. I would love to have R3 unmapped or unassigned, but XBox and Apex won't allow you to do this. I would also love to switch R3 to the quip wheel and then diasable to quip wheel, but no can do.

I am losing fights because of this and it's super annoying. Last night I went into a 1v1 v a BH - jumped then fired, the BH ducked behind cover, I disengaged, reengagaed and jumped again and the BH downed me. I did not hit him once.

I have two controllers and it happens with both. I tried wrapped tape around the right stick to make it harder to press down but that just affected my movement. I can't win!

Any tips?

Message 1 of 16 (743 Views)

Re: This is driving me nuts ...

★★★ Expert
@EdwardDLuffy I have the same problem of pressing the wrong keys (on PC keyboard) while tensed up. I don't want to change mapping because it's hard to relearn, but I also came to the conclusion that the best fix is to learn to calm down and focus. It's very difficult, but, when I manage to do it, I get wins and wipe full squads on my own
Message 2 of 16 (714 Views)

Champion

@EdwardDLuffy  Try remapping melee to crouch,at least you can quickly recover it as a crouch strafe then, and even if you forget to do that you've got a tightened crosshair for hipfire lol.

Also like @DoYaSeeMe  said just try and stay frosty. Tongue out

Breathe and relax bruddah!

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 3 of 16 (672 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@EdwardDLuffy Think of the enemy as something you've done countless times and at which you're good at. Like dishwashing or building a chair or whatever. visualize the process of doing that thing you're good at instead of shooting the target and you'll not tense up anymore.

Or just hover you're finger above you're controller
Message 4 of 16 (629 Views)

★★★ Pro
@EdwardDLuffy Tip, don't go into gun fights thinking you're about to fight a god and get wrecked, look at every opponent like another kill for your stat sheet and you won't tense up much if at all 👍
Message 5 of 16 (616 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@EdwardDLuffy Use custom mapping and change it to "crounch".

Message 6 of 16 (569 Views)

★ Expert

Thanks for the tips. I switched crouch to R3 and jump to B and it worked wonders! I think I won about 50% more 1v1s last night without the initial jump. I don't even notice if I crouch during a fight!

Of course in tense situations I crouch when I want to jump and jump when I want to crouch, but I guess I'll just have to wait untlil my brain is rewired Standard smile

Message 7 of 16 (509 Views)

Champion

@EdwardDLuffy  Awesome,  glad it's worked. Standard smile

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 8 of 16 (490 Views)

★ Expert

OMG i am a *! I thought the autojump gave me a slight disadvantage. I limit my Apex sessions to four hours and if during the session if I reach double digits in kills I consider it a success.

My total last night after the jump/crouch switch ... 28!

I am now auto crouching but that gives me an advantage. I even got kills with a Mozambique last night including an epic prolonged battle on the train with a LL armed with a charge rifle.

Message 9 of 16 (414 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@EdwardDLuffy i moved punch to L1 , crouch to R3 ,ping to R1 and ability to down arrow this is for LL,BH,Gibby
rest is same but R1 is ability and down arrow is ping
Message 10 of 16 (383 Views)