Re: This is What Devs Are Wasting Time With Instead if Fixing Issues

by ComeWithMeKitty

Original Post

[ Edited ]
Champion

@KALIUMG wrote:

@cake404 wrote:

If you think buying a video game is like buying a house, I don’t even know where to start with you.

Going with your analogy, like you bought a house that, admittedly, was in need of some major repairs. And you’re not being charged extra for the repairs, but you’re complaining that all the painters and the plumbers and the carpenters and the electricians aren’t done with everything in just a couple of days. Because the people who sold you the house thought it would be a nice second house for you to go to on a vacation, but you apparently expected to live in it.

The analogy is fine, your understanding needs correction though.

How or why you ask?

Here is why: "it's like you bought a house that, admittedly, was in need of some major repairs."

Disagree, completely! 

"The admittedly, major repairs", came after he bought the house and had already moved in.

Nobody, not even You, would have bought this game, if it "admittedly needed major repairs" and they decided to sell it anyway.

I dunno, between the demo and reading the early access responses on the forums, it was preetty clear to me that the game is going to need some major fixes after release. And I mean, even the trailers more or less literally tell you “this world is unfinished and full of bugs.” I bought this game because I think it has potential, not because I expected it to be polished and free of technical issues at launch. Obviously, I would have preferred it to not have issues at launch, but you’d have to be blind to not notice this game is going to have them.

And I mean, I don’t remember the last time I’ve played a game I cared about that didn’t have issues, at launch or sometimes even months after launch. Unfortunately, between the games getting increasingly more complex and people wanting more and more for their $60 (which is worth less and less due to inflation), corners inevitably end up being cut. It’s not just EA or Bioware, it’s pretty much the entire industry feeling the pinch of the slowly collapsing world economy. But hey, at least Bioware are still trying to push the envelope, instead of just releasing endless sequels and copies of what’s already been done a thousand times.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 21 of 97 (196 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@KALIUMG wrote:

@cake404 wrote:

There are issues that make the game unplayable for some people. Increasing loot drops without fixing those issues would mean those people would come back to everyone farming GM3 in Legos with demigodrolls while they’re still trying to get their Epics.

Besides, increasing Lego drop rates wouldn’t fix the issue with the rolls being RNG in the worst sense. If you’re playing with a group if three friends and you get a lucky +500% damage inscription, you’re now doing more damage than the rest of the group combined, and they could grind for months and not get that lucky.

Guess what, fixing complex issues is hard, and they have a lot of complex issues to fix. Two months isn’t that much for the amount of technical debt this game seems to have accumulated during development.

Loot also probably isn’t on the list because loot drop rates are not a technical issue. Loot is working as intended, even if some people aren’t happy with it.

Hmm, gotta ask, are you by any chance Paul Tassi?

Because I am pretty sure that the highlighted part of your quote, is the same as something I read in an article by him earlier today.

You mean the guy who writes articles transparently dissing Anthem and promoting The Division from his soapbox in Forbes? You think he spends his time on these forums trying to get people to have some perspective and common sense? Maybe he does, but I am not him, no. But I guess he may have been right about something in one of his articles, a broken clock being right twice a day and all.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

Message 22 of 97 (192 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@cake404 wrote:

@KALIUMG wrote:

@cake404 wrote:

There are issues that make the game unplayable for some people. Increasing loot drops without fixing those issues would mean those people would come back to everyone farming GM3 in Legos with demigodrolls while they’re still trying to get their Epics.

Besides, increasing Lego drop rates wouldn’t fix the issue with the rolls being RNG in the worst sense. If you’re playing with a group if three friends and you get a lucky +500% damage inscription, you’re now doing more damage than the rest of the group combined, and they could grind for months and not get that lucky.

Guess what, fixing complex issues is hard, and they have a lot of complex issues to fix. Two months isn’t that much for the amount of technical debt this game seems to have accumulated during development.

Loot also probably isn’t on the list because loot drop rates are not a technical issue. Loot is working as intended, even if some people aren’t happy with it.

Hmm, gotta ask, are you by any chance Paul Tassi?

Because I am pretty sure that the highlighted part of your quote, is the same as something I read in an article by him earlier today.

You mean the guy who writes articles transparently dissing Anthem and promoting The Division from his soapbox in Forbes? You think he spends his time on these forums trying to get people to have some perspective and common sense? Maybe he does, but I am not him, no. But I guess he may have been right about something in one of his articles, a broken clock being right twice a day and all.

Could have sworn, that I read that phrase (almost seems like word for word) in an article, earlier today.

Just don't remember which, strange.

Message 23 of 97 (181 Views)

Champion

Well, I do try to phrase my thoughts well, and there are only so many ways to phrase them well in English language, so...

Message 24 of 97 (169 Views)

★★★ Guide

I didn't see anything addressing the pilot error crashing.  I'm pretty sure the issue came up via the community a few times since launch.

Message 25 of 97 (147 Views)

★★ Guide

they dont need waste time to fix a loot drop issue. if lets us modify our own gun by a pile of material is we got. I think everyone is still play got a pile of material and We dunno what to do with it :c

Message 26 of 97 (139 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Apprentice

@Quixter wrote:

Yet I have experienced no rubber banding, no disconnects, no glitched missions in the past week among other improvements that have been made recently........loot looot loot looot .......yes quality of loot needs improved yet there have been a lot of improvements that actually affect game play itself rather than the need of a leprechaun looking for its gold.

Dont get me wrong the loot is important but it’s not the only thing.

what we didn’t need was yet another thread pointing this article out

Day or two ago, finally got a legendary after a week of daily free play, only to get "searching for server" moments later. Permanently repo'd. 

Message 27 of 97 (122 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@RoninJed wrote:

@Quinxder wrote:
No it’s like we bought a house and got a tent.

Yeah I could see why the people who act like Anthem is the only game in video game history to get a downgrade from its E3 showing would believe that. Makes even more sense when they complain about the game crashing from bugs because their current console or old PC can barely run the game. Hmm wait a minute maybe it got a downgrade so people without 4k+ PCs could play it too....nah we were sold a tent.🙄

I’m never mentioned E3 so what do you want from me? BTW i have all new PC but anyway 

Message 28 of 97 (117 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@cake404 wrote:

@KALIUMG wrote:

@cake404 wrote:

If you think buying a video game is like buying a house, I don’t even know where to start with you.

Going with your analogy, like you bought a house that, admittedly, was in need of some major repairs. And you’re not being charged extra for the repairs, but you’re complaining that all the painters and the plumbers and the carpenters and the electricians aren’t done with everything in just a couple of days. Because the people who sold you the house thought it would be a nice second house for you to go to on a vacation, but you apparently expected to live in it.

The analogy is fine, your understanding needs correction though.

How or why you ask?

Here is why: "it's like you bought a house that, admittedly, was in need of some major repairs."

Disagree, completely! 

"The admittedly, major repairs", came after he bought the house and had already moved in.

Nobody, not even You, would have bought this game, if it "admittedly needed major repairs" and they decided to sell it anyway.

I dunno, between the demo and reading the early access responses on the forums, it was preetty clear to me that the game is going to need some major fixes after release. And I mean, even the trailers more or less literally tell you “this world is unfinished and full of bugs.” I bought this game because I think it has potential, not because I expected it to be polished and free of technical issues at launch. Obviously, I would have preferred it to not have issues at launch, but you’d have to be blind to not notice this game is going to have them.

And I mean, I don’t remember the last time I’ve played a game I cared about that didn’t have issues, at launch or sometimes even months after launch. Unfortunately, between the games getting increasingly more complex and people wanting more and more for their $60 (which is worth less and less due to inflation), corners inevitably end up being cut. It’s not just EA or Bioware, it’s pretty much the entire industry feeling the pinch of the slowly collapsing world economy. But hey, at least Bioware are still trying to push the envelope, instead of just releasing endless sequels and copies of what’s already been done a thousand times.

That is 100% wrong. First I never checked the forum. Why should I. Second, the trailer never showed any bugs nor did the trailer reveal any lack of content or loot and a bad story. Third, the demo was meant to be a tiny piece of the huge and awesome story and there were way more to explore....yeah well.....no but anyway. Last but not least, I wasn’t aware of heading start.

I didn’t have any issues with TD2. No crash no nothing. Everything works nice and smooth. Same with Anno 1800 which I played at launch. Ace Combat is fine...what also did I got, I dunno...but Anthem is bugfest as hell. Oh Apex i tried at launch and it was rock solid. No crashes no bugs which effected my game.

Message 29 of 97 (108 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

The demo definitely did not have much more to explore. It had roughly half the area of the full freeplay map at most. If you looked at the map, you could see how much of it was darkened out.

And it did have only a tiny piece of the story. It had like tree missions and a stronghold. The game had three strongholds at launch, and something like twenty missions in the core storyline alone (plus three faction side stories, each about ten-fifteen missions long I think).

If you didn’t think any of that was epic, well, that’s unfortunate, but if that’s “lack of content” then I’m not sure how much content you want at launch. And if you had fewer issues in the demo than you did in the full game, that’s really strange, because for me the demo had several issues I’ve never experienced in the main game.

And if you weren’t reading the forums, weren’t even aware there was early access, and expected the trailer to tell you everything you need to know about the game... well, all I can say is, you clearly didn’t spend nearly as much time doing research prior to your purchase as you have spent by now complaining about it afterwards. For your own sake, I definitely hope you’ll take your real estate purchases more seriously.

Message 30 of 97 (100 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help