Re: The story behind your name

by SCOTTT_ES

Original Post

The story behind your name

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

Hi people,

so, often when i read other people's names I am asking myself what the idea behind the name was. My name came, when i registered on steam in 2011 and my name i used before was already used, so i just wrote down the first thing that came to my mind which was Babyhuehnchen ( German word for baby chick)  and then i used it on all other websites and games as well. But what is the story behind your name? let us know Standard smile

Greetings,

Babyhuehnchen

I do not work for EA, i am just a random guy who like to help other with their problems. All answers are my personal ideas and not affiliated with EA.
If my post helped you, please consider giving me XP Angel
Please mark the post that helped you solve your problem as solution so other people can see it right away Large smile

Message 1 of 25 (1,640 Views)

EA DICE Team

@Babyhuehnchen

I love this question! I'm very curious to find out the answer from other users Standard smile

Message 2 of 25 (1,620 Views)

★★ Pro

The Mathematics part is because i like math, the number is randomised

Message 3 of 25 (1,609 Views)
Highlighted

I used my nick for the first time around 2005 or 2006 when I started playing F1, at the time one of the Formula 1 drivers was called Scott Speed, from that moment on I always registered with that nick, with only a few variations.

Ps.: Sorry, my English is not good!

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 4 of 25 (1,605 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favourite thread on the Origin Community.

To say that I'm a huge Mass Effect fan would be an understatement. Spectres (short for Special Tactics and Reconnaissance) are the special agents of the Citadel Council in the game.

Your friendly neighbourhood forum admin.

spectre.png
Message 5 of 25 (1,604 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Well, long story. Initially I had two different nicknames. In Hidden & Dangerous 2 (my first FPS) I played as Spitfire, which came from the Supermarine Spitfire fighter plane (I've played a WWII flight sim around the same time and fell in love with that plane). Meanwhile, in RTS called Original War I used the handle Siemion, because 1) It was the Russian version of my RL name and 2) one of side characters had that name.

Now, to merger. It had two stages. First one came in first Call of Duty. There was that bug, where some of people had all the free space in the nickname filled up with a certain digit repeated ad infinitum. I came to a conclusion that, instead of fixing it, I would make my name longer... so instead of Spitfire333333333333333333333333333333 I ended up being SpitfireSiemion_PL33333333333333333333 (_PL because 1) 3 more characters and 2) It actually helped with dealing with my fellow Poles when they caused ruckus on our servers). When I started playing Battlefield (from BF3), for some reason I thought that uppercase characters can't be used, and I also removed _PL... that's how I got to spitfiresiemion.

Also, fun fact, in one of games where I used Siemion as my nick, the leader of my team was called Spitfire (in his case it was about the song called Spitfire). Ah, and both of us used Spitfire as our Teamspeak handles. It always confused the hell out of other people on the server.

---------------------------------------------------------------
If you think that someone's post helped you, feel free to press the 'Grant XP' button. If someone's instructions helped you solve your problem, please press 'Accept as Solution', so that other people with the same problem can easily find the solution in the future.

I am a volunteer moderator and I don't work for EA. All opinions expressed are my own.
Message 6 of 25 (1,589 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

Thanks everyone for sharing!

I think this is an awesome method for us to find out more about other members of the community. Thread has been stickied! :eahigh_file:

Once again, kudos to @Babyhuehnchen for coming up with the idea.

Message 7 of 25 (1,563 Views)

Hero

Fylinss is my nickname for at least 17 - 20 years now.

This name comes from one of the main character in a book I was writing.
For some reasons I had to find a name that sounded like a dragon's name. I put double 's' at the end to make the sound of "S" as in "Snake", and to make it sound like one.
The pronunciation is the same I you would pronounce it in English: Feel in ss.

There are 3 funny things to know about my name :

Somes of my friends and my family call me Fylinss ou Fyl.

This is not the real name of the character, it's was a nickname chosen by the character himself in my story.

To this day and in 17-20 years, only one person said it correctly at their first try, it was Mr Falls. The great streamer of the FNB.

I always found it funny when a guy have trouble to say my name for the first time on TS or other.

Big thanks to @EA_Billie, for translation help Tongue out

Je ne suis pas un employé d'EA, juste un joueur présent pour donner un coup de blaster main à ceux en difficulté.

Une solution proposée à résolu votre problème ? Cliquez sur accepter comme solution.

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

@Babyhuehnchen

I have to admit that for some reason I thought that your name had Asian origins.. am I the only one who thought that? Embarrassed

@mathematics654

Is it weird that I think that it's funny that your name is so straightforward? :-)

@SCOTTT_ES

Are you still a fan of Scott Speed after all this time? Speed is also a great last name to have if you're a race car driver.. Large smile

@spitfiresiemion

That's really cool that your name came to be by playing through so many games. In a way, it's like you've earned it by all the in-game battles that you survived.. :-)

Is it safe to say that you're very attached to the name?

@Fylinss

Great story! Thanks for sharing! And also kudos to @EA_Billie for helping to translate.

I do have to ask though as I'm now super curious: did you ever finish writing that book? Standard smile

Message 9 of 25 (1,523 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Yeah, I am not planning to change my name anytime soon. Unfortunately, some games force me to shorten my nick ("no more than 14 characters allowed"); in such cases, I usually revert to something Spitfire-based.

---------------------------------------------------------------
If you think that someone's post helped you, feel free to press the 'Grant XP' button. If someone's instructions helped you solve your problem, please press 'Accept as Solution', so that other people with the same problem can easily find the solution in the future.

I am a volunteer moderator and I don't work for EA. All opinions expressed are my own.
Message 10 of 25 (1,509 Views)