The real reason we’ll never get a permanent solo’s mode

by Bean2kay9

Original Post

The real reason we’ll never get a permanent solo’s mode

★★ Guide

having no teammates would mean EA couldn’t use their “rigged” SBMM system which puts you in games you’re more likely to lose by giving you teammates of a much lower skill level than you and therefore more likely to lose their next games 

EA literally has a paper on their idealised version of SBMM called EOMM (engagement optimised match making) which has been found to have the highest player retention, in other words we’re being placed in frustrating games with low level people and paired against three stack predator teams because it’ll keep us playing longer and the more we’re playing the game the more we’re buying the fancy skins.
One of the devs did deny this on Twitter and claims Apex doesn’t use this system but after playing the game so long it’s very obvious that they do, or at least a version of it anyway, it’s definitely not “true” SBMM that’s for sure 

now if we had a permanent solo mode then this system wouldn’t work as well, yes we could still get placed in higher tier lobbies with predators, but we wouldn’t have any teammates dragging us down and if every encounter is a 1v1 instead of a 1v3 against high level players then you’ve got a much higher chance of winning said engagement, and winning more and more games, which isn’t what EA want.

anyway this is just my opinion on why we’ll never get a proper, permanent solo mode and I know many people would agree with me, there’s tons of links and videos online. Look it up if you don’t believe me, EA and their engagement optimised matchmaking. 

Message 1 of 17 (803 Views)

Re: The real reason we’ll never get a permanent solo’s mode

★★★★ Pro
@Bean2kay9 Thats one reason. Other reason is simple. Classes! Game cant be balanced with solo classes. Funny, I used to play mirage lot solo. Revealing enemy positions with decoy is HUGE perk. IT was fun on short, but it cant be on long. Like every second house was camping caustic, or every hill/roof sniping paths.
Message 2 of 17 (778 Views)

Champion
@Bean2kay9 The real reason is because of legend balance. They know solos would result in some legends never ever getting used. The game simply works best as a squad game, no matter how ridiculous some people play it.
Message 3 of 17 (746 Views)

★ Expert
@Bean2kay9 "the real reason" "this is just my opinion" lol
For real though I never really understood how frustrating games = longer playtime cause whenever I start to get frustrated I just stop playing the game and take a break. And to be honest if I could get more fair games I would probably play longer. In league I used to play for almost 6-7 hours everyday and that's cause the matchmaking(atleast in their ranked) feels fair and now in Apex I can barely go over 3 hours cause of how annoying the games usually are.
Message 4 of 17 (741 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@Bean2kay9 This could be one of the reasons yes. That stuff about legend balance is completely invalid in my opinion. They are not able to balance legends and they don't have a clue what they're doing in trios too, so it is certain that they won't be able to balance stuff for solos. Who cares if you're gonna meet only pathfinders and wraiths, I don't.

What I cannot understand is their refusal to add solos. Every popular battle royale has it as far as I know. People were asking for solos for ages in apex. I bet they've lost a big part of their population because solos is not added in the game yet or they could gain a lot of players by implementing it. Forums and reddit are full of posts about noob teammates and stuff. It is sufficient to play the game to realize that most of your randoms are deadweight and you should ditch em.

I just don't get why they refuse time and time again to add a mode so clearly needed. Maybe it is how you said it, but they're kinda shooting themselves in the foot if that's the case.
Message 5 of 17 (729 Views)

★ Guide
@Bean2kay9 The gamer conspiracy theory group never gets old. You're absolutely right on this reasoning though. EA must've seen your .74 KDR and 250 average damage per round and thought, we need to rig games against him stat!
Message 6 of 17 (714 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@nejackso1Instead of making snarky comments to people who actually play the game you should play it yourself too and experience the same problems. I can't tell you have many times I won with high kills 2-3 games in a row and then got destroyed for 10 games, without feeling like I had a chance. After that you're back in bot lobbies and you're the one destroying. That's how the game works. This is coming from a 2.5kdr player if that matters to you.

Message 7 of 17 (711 Views)

★★ Guide
@nejackso1 The fact that you only mention KDR and damage shows that the point of BRs in general is completely lost on most people like you.
When you have enough about you to discuss winrate (i.e.the whole point of the game), rational discussions can be had.
Message 8 of 17 (685 Views)

★ Guide
@dougieee The fact that you think the only way to play is to sit and camp it out and worry about your winrate is why the point of BR is lost on you. There's many different ways to play a BR. If you want to have a discussion about whether a win is impressive if your team combined for three kills and six hundred damage then we can. But it's undeniable that the it's an FPS game and part of the game is getting kills and doing damage. If the only stat you're focused on at all is winrate, then I think we can guess how your other stats look. Congrats on your winrate though! If you want rational discussion here, perhaps try starting one rather than accusing me, someone whose winrate is unknown to you, of not getting the point of a BR.
Message 9 of 17 (676 Views)

★ Guide
@Tad844 But it's a BR. There's a ton of randomness built into the game, including what people you get matched with on a squad. There's also randomness in choosing drop locations and what loot is at a particular location.

There's about 100 other things that come into play without immediately assuming there's some vast conspiracy. A conspiracy which, by the way, doesn't make any sense logically. Respawn rigs hundreds of games against good players by somehow knowing your exact skill level and only placing you against people that are much better than you, all with the goal of increasing your play time because you lose a ton of games.

Whether my response was snarky or not, you can visit the forums for any other competitive FPS on the market right now, and these exact same threads are there too. Threads about these massive conspiracy theories where the developer has implemented a system to sell more skins. All ignoring the fact that any person can exercise free will and simply stop paying for skins or stop playing the game at any time.

Rather than assume it's a huge conspiracy, I think that it's safe to assume that Respawn is simply a hapless, borderline bad developer team that doesn't really know what issues should be looked at. In this theory they've organized some sort of system that places people based on exact skill level to make sure that they lose games and continue playing. This would be considerably difficult to do. This is the same developer team that after almost seven full seasons can't fix obvious and continuing audio issues, can't put the game on workable servers, can't fix netcode and hit registration, apparently can't do anything at all to the game except for every two to four months or so.

I'm sorry but the idea that they're good enough to implement some sort of system that this thread is discussing just isn't likely. Sorry for the snark I guess.
Message 10 of 17 (673 Views)