The r99 meta needs some nerfs

by Mad_Dog8762

Original Post

The r99 meta needs some nerfs

★ Guide

We all know that THE competitive weapon RN is the r99. Often paired with a peacekeeper or wingman for maximum dps in a short amount of time. And that is fine

BUT, I do think the r99 is too effective at medium ranges

With good recoil control, you can rip a mag into someone even at medium ranges.

I think to help keep the r99 in its SMG, CQC dominant role, it should have an increase in horizontal recoil

The idea is this weapon should NOT be accurate at range in anything less than short controlled bursts.

This would keep the r99 great in CQC, as it should be, but will leave the user notably lacking in any sort of ranged engagement if they choose to run r99 and peacekeeper

Will help give the 301 back its mid range role (as most players prefer the r99 even at medium ranges due to superior dps)

Message 1 of 16 (789 Views)

Re: The r99 meta needs some nerfs

@Mad_Dog8762 my friends left this game after the wingman nerf and the bunnyhop off at nerf 99, it's my turn
Message 2 of 16 (726 Views)

[ Edited ]

btw. I do not understand why something need nerf, in dota2 all characters have OP skills and everyone is happy

buff useless wEApon > nerf strong wEApon

Message 3 of 16 (719 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

Well R301 is still much better at mid range, but it is a little funny that after the recoil randomness nerf for the 301, it actually has much more random recoil than the R99. R99 has a weird and hard to control pattern, but it's too consistent for a weapon that's not intended to be used at longer ranges. I think all SMG's should get the R301 treatment and get recoil randomness increase, essentially limiting their effective range a bit more. R301 should have a little more edge at mid range over the 99 than it currently has, so that loadout consideretion would have more nuances, rather than which secondary weapon to bring to what fight. There's little downside to having 99 as primary as it is now. That's not a bad thing, but I do think the game could be a little more nuanced if it lost some of the range.

On the other hand, SMG's could also have much slower bullet velocities, making shooting moving targets much more difficult at range.

P.S. R99 is not the only "always best" weapon as it is now, there are a lot of equally good options(e.g., for strictly CQC - alternator is better in some situations, devotion, while more a longer range weapon is also much better in some situations and of course for mid-range, R301 and flatline are still better). It's just that there's little reason to ever drop it, since there's not much downside (apart from it chugging light ammo like crazy).

Message 4 of 16 (693 Views)

★★★ Expert

Kind of agree with this, and im saying against my bias, (99 is favorite weapon)

I personally always go for a Wingman for ranged fights along with that, so I won't personally mind it that much, but I definitely get lazered with 99s at times from fairly long ranges.

At least alternator has abysmal accuracy at those ranges.

Message 5 of 16 (628 Views)

★ Pro

@Wingmannedbro wrote:

Kind of agree with this, and im saying against my bias, (99 is favorite weapon)

I personally always go for a Wingman for ranged fights along with that, so I won't personally mind it that much, but I definitely get lazered with 99s at times from fairly long ranges.

At least alternator has abysmal accuracy at those ranges.

They nerfed the alternator last patch and the addition of disrupter rounds. The r99 should be worse at midrange than the alt due to the higher fire rate....

Message 6 of 16 (616 Views)

Champion

R99 doesn't bother me really, it's like the havoc in the sense that both take skill to use effectively. Maybe this is more of a pc issue as recoil control is easier?..or so i'm told.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 7 of 16 (614 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@MandatoryIDtag U r right. As a pc player, i dont think this game has recoil, it's so minimal to regconize.

Tracking is way more important than recoil control in this game.
Message 8 of 16 (589 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

Try not compensating for recoil at all and then say with a straight face there's no recoil XD.

Just pulling down is not enough to use R99 at extended range - you need to compensate the full S pattern. The problem is it's still learnable and hence it still eventually becomes default for longer ranges. That's the main reason why randomness in recoil patterns is a necessity. R301 got the randomness treatment and it's much better for it. R99 should be next.

P.S. That's all assuming R99 is not intended to be used effectively at range. If there's no such intention, then I guess everything is fine as it is now. But considering R301 got the nerf because it competed with DMR's at long range, I would suspect R99 is not supposed to compete with R301 at mid-range either.

Message 9 of 16 (579 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

@Mad_Dog8762

The R99 is overpowered.

It needs a massive ads accuracy nerf.
And a slight magazine size buff.
Repurposed as a hipfire smg.
Also it needs the triangle hipfire reticle.

Aka, just give us the R-97 Respawn.

Message 10 of 16 (515 Views)