The problem with people that want SBMM removed

by MrCarri-X

Original Post

The problem with people that want SBMM removed

★★ Pro

I have no doubt that SBMM isn't working correctly, I get matched against predators when I never could get anywhere higher than platinum 3, I have 1.2 k/d ratio and I'm nowhere near to have any 4k damage or 20 kill badge, though I still get matched with these people. 

Even of that I am in complete favor of SBMM, although I'd love for it to work better so I get against same skill opponents and not opponents who are clearly better than me. I just think that people who just spam "remove SBMM"  is because they want easier kills, basically. The argument of "I don't want to sweat every game, there's ranked for that". Allow me to tell you: If you are a predator, why should you play in an easier lobby because you have to "sweat", so just because you can't stand playing against people of your same skill, the average playerbase must play against someone who is clearly better than them? SBMM is great and has always been, it makes us average players and bad players to play against each other and have fun, because I really don't have fun when a predator kills the entire lobby and pushes every damn squad, but well, I guess that isn't a "sweating match" then...

Also, "we don't want two ranked modes". Seriously? You dare compare public matches to ranked? Ranked is completely toxic and unfun, more than 10 squads camping a super small ring, your squad getting shot from 7 different sides and camping because you don't want to lose RP. Pubs are NOTHING like ranked, don't compare to stuff that are completely different just because you are getting matched against similar skilled opponents which is the point of ranked also.

Overall, I believe that SBMM could use some adjustments as my k/d ratio has fallen over .10 points throughout these seasons because I get killed against predators in my lobbies, but it's not like this happens every match. On the other hand, the removal of SBMM is completely absurd request and just note it on your mind, it will never happen. So maybe change your request to "Fix SBMM" instead of "Remove SBMM", that is more of a valid argument. I still have fun playing though c:

Had to get that out of my chest :v

Message 1 of 15 (1,395 Views)

Re: The problem with people that want SBMM removed

[ Edited ]
★★ Expert

@MrCarri-X I get what you're saying, but there's also a big, big difference between the people who want easier kills and, "It is physically and mentally exhausting to have to play my best every single game." There's also a big difference between, "I'm a Predator stomping pub lobbies haha this should be the norm." and "I'm Predator and want to play with my friends but we can't because the SBMM matches us against other Predators despite my friends being only level 40." 

There's no "problem" with people that want SBMM removed, you're just stating your subjective opinion as a fact, and use hyperbolic exaggerations to make it seem reasonable, deeming that people of higher skill should have to try-hard every single game because it's not fair to lower skilled players that there's a Predator in their game.

In my opinion, what's really not fair is that ranked was created for the express purpose of try-harding every single game to prove that you're the best, yet we had the SBMM forced onto us using a broken metric which matches us up against skilled players anyway, fostering an environment in which no one really seems to be having fun in. 

Message 2 of 15 (1,371 Views)

Champion
@MrCarri-X Sbmm isnt based on long term stats. Keep track of your games or better yet play like 5 or 6 in a row where you dont get a kill and do nothing. I bet you get a lobby of nobodies.
Message 3 of 15 (1,348 Views)

★★★ Expert
@MrCarri-X If you'd play against yourself, you'd have a 50% chance of getting a kill, so basically a k/d of 1. You're at 1.2, to me it seems that you're above the average of the lobbies you fall into.

What's the definition of a perfect SBMM? Let's say it would be the formula that drops clones of you every lobby. That would become repetitive and boring after a while, which does not "rhyme" with perfect, does it? The actual SBMM is dynamic, gives you some easier lobbies and then some harder ones, depending on how you perform. There's enough room for chilling and learning from the better players and less chance for boredom.

@pastaclown this is entertainment, not a mandatory thing. If it consumes your energy, you're free to take a pause, quit, do something else.. If you choose to stay and get exhausted, it's not the game's problem, but yours. Maybe you're taking it too seriously...
Message 4 of 15 (1,331 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Expert

@DoYaSeeMe Not saying it consumes my energy nor that I don't take breaks etc. etc. I used to take this game super duper seriously, but it really isn't worth being constantly exhausted as you point out. I did already quit once for an entire season anyway.

Message 5 of 15 (1,317 Views)

There are arguments to be made for and against SBMM. I think right now EA/Respawn are trying to find a happy medium with SBMM. That means they are toying with various settings to see what is going to be most effective. Something that won't make the game to hard for top ranked players, but won't the game too hard for players in the middle. 

@pastaclown I think it's important to keep in mind that ranked is where competitive gamers go to play competitively. It's not necessarily an area where people go to play against similarly skilled players. The idea behind ranked is to grind towards the top and earn rewards/bragging rights. I definitely agree that SBMM can have some negative consequences such as making it difficult for higher skill players to play rounds with lower skill friends. 

There needs to be a happy medium when it comes to SBMM so players of all skill can find lobbies that are enjoyable and fun for them. If you put better players in lower skill lobbies it leads to negative experiences for lower skill players. But on the other side if SBMM is to tight, high skill players end up in lobbies that leave no room for error. The best way I can describe high skill lobbies to players who have not been in those lobbies, imagine it as a RPG type game in which you're facing down the hardest boss in the game. You have to attempt it multiple times before you finally succeed and beat the hard to kill boss. It's stressful, it's a grind, it takes everything you have in the game to win and you're happy it's over with when you finally beat it. You have that "finally!" moment when it's over. High skill SBMM lobbies sort of feel like that, all of the time.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 6 of 15 (1,253 Views)

★★ Pro

I think that's what most people mean, that it should be fixed. I don't call it sbmm because skill has nothing to do with it the way it is now. Crappy players like myself are matched against preds and 20k players, so where's the skill exactly? If it was about skill me and him would never enter the same lobby. 

Message 7 of 15 (1,221 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

i'm level 12 and i am with predators too, why ?

i did around 8 to 15 kills per match from lv 1 to 12 because peoples are extremely bad and probably never played fps, now i'm with predators with idk how much thousand hours of playing and i get rekt in every single fight, is that normal ?

for Apex, if they do around 8 to 15 kills per game and i too, we should be in the same match. they need to fix that andt hey should take the account the playing time, the level etc too for that.

Atm i am re creating an account everytime that stupid game made me fight against these players if i want to enjoy something.. but they should remove or fix that beacause it's impossible to enjoy that atm..

Message 8 of 15 (1,199 Views)

★ Guide

I always said SBMM gonna ruin the game. And here we go we got it.

RESPAWN if you want add something you have to be prephared for it way better because now It is horrible SBMM. 

You can fix your mistakes by only making people be able to choose between SBMM or regular MM.

Message 9 of 15 (1,178 Views)

★★ Pro
@RukaTheChicken It seems like you only enjoy playing against people who are (in your words) extremely bad and probably never played fps and when you get paired up with higher skilled opponents you create a new account to play again against the same "bad" players.
Although I understand that you shouldn't be playing with people who make 15 kills on pred lobbies while you make the same amount but in basically bot lobbies which is way easier. But well, you almost prove my point
Message 10 of 15 (1,148 Views)