by apostolateofDOOM

Original Post

Re: The past 2 weeks of Apex was the worst experience I had with Apex

★★★★ Pro
@apostolateofDOOM literally the best comment i've seen in quite a while
Message 11 of 57 (1,367 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Not gonna lie, this game is unbearable if I’m not playing with my friends. I dont get the MM at all. You go against preds all the time and have noob randoms as squadmates. Not that I hate beginners, but they should be placed in another lobby with the same skill level. 

Message 12 of 57 (1,348 Views)

@Cheese9Man That's what beginners actually want. But guess what smurfing does?
Message 13 of 57 (1,335 Views)

★★ Pro
@LaughingSharko True, but can you really blame people for smurfing? The game is forcing people to abandon their main accounts because they get progressively harder to the point of becoming unbearable. It's making things worse no doubt, but what choice do these players have? There is no win here for the players either way. Play more = better player = harder lobbies = losing = play more = better player = harder lobbies etc etc etc....
Message 14 of 57 (1,326 Views)

@Sand_spitter You're describing the exact situation that smurfing creates, so I think the problem is selfish players themselves, not the matchmaking.

These "pros" complain that their lobbies are too hard, so they go and make the lobbies of new players even more impossible just so they can feel better.

And when the new players complain? "Learn to play, Noob" is usually the response.

So, I would say the same thing to players who are frustrated for not overcoming Preds yet. Work harder. Become a Pred yourself. You can do it. Stop complaining.
Message 15 of 57 (1,309 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@LaughingSharkoI did get pred and the game became mentally exhausting.

I can't play that often (not at all currently but that's out of choice) and i don't want to have one good round out of charity curtesy of Respawns EOMM just to warm up and play ALGS for the remainder of the evening.

If you improved then you should reap some benefits for it otherwise what's the point? Easier to play casual and win at the same rate.

Edit: I'm all for protecting new players and having some form of SBMM but it doesn't need to be so strict as variety is the spice of life.

Edit 2: Getting dms calling me a hypocrite for my posts in this thread. If you have something to say, then say it.  🤡

Message 16 of 57 (1,302 Views)

★★★★ Pro
@apostolateofDOOM

But there is this very prevalent belief that ALL players should win at the same rate because players “deserve” to enjoy themselves. I have had several people out right tell me that skill shouldn’t result in a player winning more (because that means weaker players lose more and that’s “not fair”)

I don’t like it at all but this is the direction that the video game industry has taken.
Message 17 of 57 (1,250 Views)

@apostolateofDOOM The DMs aren't from me. Not sure who you're getting them from.

I'm simply saying that what you're describing is exactly what every one of my matches is like thanks to smurfs. So the only persons a more lax SBMM would benefit is players like you. Being able to wipe out a whole lobby is fun!!! Well, except for the rest of us.
Message 18 of 57 (1,223 Views)

@Axs5626Sxa5001 In a PVP setting, this is what should happen for the health of a video game. Getting destroyed match after match results in many people quitting.

Which is ironically what the person I quoted is thinking of doing as well. It's not fun getting squashed, is it? But, a level playing field is the best we can hope for.

The person in question is a "pred," so why should he be placed with people who have kill death ratios massively below his skill level? That's like an Olympic athlete wanting to compete with grade school students to have a break.

That's like playing your solo video games on "easy." I don't think expecting that is very reasonable.

New players wanting to compete with players of a similar skill level isn't being entitled, it's about wanting a fair competition.
Message 19 of 57 (1,216 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@LaughingSharko I wasn't accusing you and the person is more than welcome to contribute or challenge anything i've said, if they wish.

Strict SBMM encourages smurfing so relaxing it would mean more players would stick to their mains protecting newer players. I've already created several threads in the past how smurfs have become a big problem.  This is the latest one:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/Let-s-bash-the-new-guy/td-p/9471200

I don't want to go against new players or players who are drastically worse than me, but i also don't want to play against a full pred premade lobby with friends that aren't anywhere near my rank or solo que with level 10s on my team constantly. You talk about fair but the only fair way would be to make it random after a certain point. I used to join servers in many fps games getting it handed to me till i got good enough to hold my own as did all. Why should the system manipulate the situation and hold your hand if you're not prepared to try and improve. 

We'll go with your analogy about the game though, if you're playing a solo video game and you die, do you have to repeat it till you get it right or does it automatically put you into easy mode the following attempt?

If we both put a 1000hrs into a game but you're better than me then you deserve to win more. We both had equal opportunity to improve and those that capitalise on that should be rewarded for improving otherwise what's the point?

Message 20 of 57 (1,205 Views)