The official Matchmaking blog post

by Cheese9Man

Original Post

Re: The official Matchmaking blog post

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Pro

Personally, I'd prefer tighter matches more often instead of getting obliterated in humiliating fashion for multiple games in a row by players WAY better than me.  My current solo queue experience is often  struggling to get a single kill for 10-12 games in a row with the occasional win & 4-5 kill game thrown in there.  My KDR is about 1.0, give or take, but the quality of the wins & good games does not consistently offset the cumulative aggravation of the deaths.  I'm OK with deaths where I F'd up or just missed my shots but am not OK with dying repeatedly where I feel like I had absolutely no chance.  Nobody likes playing a game that's rigged against them and that's the feeling lots of people have under the current matchmaking system.

I applaud Repawn for finally saying something on this topic.  However, the post is mostly non-committal and IMO unnecessarily vague on certain points.  It all leaves me in the same place I was before the post ... very skeptical that anything will change significantly.

Message 21 of 246 (1,976 Views)

★ Expert
@HappyHourSumwur I wanna know which server/region the changes are in effect LMAO!
Message 22 of 246 (2,083 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Expert

Bruh... then there's this Valk on the other team getting 21 kills, we lose big as 4 of them have double digits. Now, what is mm's response to this? How about putting this Valk and I together next game? So she can destroy a bot team again, but this time I'm allowed to do the same. She and I literally held their home spawn for 2 minutes, while our team naturally took B and managed to come help us afterwards. Ended up a win by lockout.

@Gabrielmojo26 Definitely not Frankfurt!

Message 23 of 246 (2,075 Views)

Champion
@Rumpel1028 Nothing is as easy as it is looking from the outside. It doesn't matter what your job is.
Message 24 of 246 (2,066 Views)

Champion
@HappyHourSumwur What you bring up is the challenge tho. In a 20 team BR, if everything is equal you should win 1 in 20 games. What constitutes a fair fun game in the other 19? If the lobby was fair, you would likely die on first encounter in 9 or 10 of the games and win the first fight in the others and finish top 5 in 4 of the other games.
Message 25 of 246 (2,062 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

MM looking good so far. Why?

1CF19044-6FBC-497E-AA11-150F15910949.jpeg

Message 26 of 246 (2,034 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Pro

@hayhorIt is how lopsided those lost fights typically are that chaps my @$$. Then you look at the recap and spectate only to realize they were either 1) way better than you (ridiculous stats &/or rank leading you to think it is a matchmaking problem), or 2) actually not that good (they get killed immediately while you are watching &/or miss all their shots so you just F'd up). I get #1 way too often, IMO. Not to say that I don't make stupid decisions, am caught napping, or miss all my shots. That all happens, too.

Message 27 of 246 (2,017 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Most of time it isn't the opposing squad. It is someone on own squad trying to pro 1v3 to pad stats then down quit. Not interested in winning.

Occasionally if I know a team mate is about to head into 1v3 danger and they don't listen. I fake ping an enemy behind closer to pull them back. It works...

Message 28 of 246 (1,991 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@hayhorWhat I appreciate about your commentary right now is that it’s calling into question something that I have consistently spoken about for years: outcomes.

-What are “fair” outcomes?

-What are the average outcomes? Should there be a difference in outcomes based on skill? How do we achieve that?

-Should outcomes be “curated”? If so, are people ok with the difficulty of their lobbies being manipulated to achieve said outcomes?

-Should outcomes even be “fair”? Or should we accept natural outcomes? Should skill be what determines who gets what outcomes?

Most people aren’t thinking about these questions. Most people (from below to above average) just want to perform well and win. And it’s an injustice in some people’s mind when they don’t 

And look, I know not everyone is obsessed with winning, but let’s be honest here: this is a PVP battle royal; the HIGH MAJORITY of people loading into a match are trying to win said match. So I don’t want to hear “I only play the game because I want to casually walk around and enjoy the graphics”. So when some people suggest that there should be no disparity in outcomes based on skill, I do roll my eyes.

TLDR: I want people to think about outcomes and who should be achieving what outcomes and at what rates. And I want people to be reflective on the issue.

Message 29 of 246 (1,971 Views)

Champion
@Axs5626Sxa5001 That was my point. In a BR the outcome is going to be negative a huge majority of the time. Expecting to get 4 or 5 kills often, even without winning is unrealistic but dying in the first engagement will happen a lot, especially if the opponents are at your own level or above. This isn't a tdm or an arenas shooter where there are 2 small teams and the sbmm is easy to manipulate to ensure people win every other match.

The system we have right now, without the changes does try to protect people but as they mentioned in the article it does a poor job due to speed of MM and small bucket sizes.

Would it be more fair without anything? Yes, absolutely. But we know that isn't going to happen. Every shooter does it to help retain players. It's better for the majority of the player base.
Message 30 of 246 (1,960 Views)