The night I went blue ...

by EdwardDLuffy

Original Post

The night I went blue ...

★ Expert

Bored with this LTM, I decided to try this smurfing lark. Here's how it ended up.

e923fa2d-593d-4506-aaa8-5c03254144b7.jpg

Some observations:

1) It took me two attempts to complete training. The first time, LL's care package simply would not land. The second time I had to go close to the dummies to get it to land, far from Pathfinder. That must be bewildering to a newb.

2) I only found the first ten games are so were 'easy' - after that it was back to normal (as PUBS, anyhow).

3) You meet lots of other smurfs.

4) Some people are really bad at the game, I mean really bad. In one game in which I got 1,300 damage, Rev (who survived as long as me) got 17.

5) The key thing for me is '0' wins. I didn't even get close. As soon as you encountered a team with one more smurf on their squad than yours, you're dead.

In conclusion, I didn't enjoy it. The only bit I remember enjoying was a squad wipe at Labs, but it was just a normal squad wipe. I knocked one, hide, healed, waiting to hear the revive, popped out, hit the reviver and then 1v1d with the other dude and won.

I did enjoy it when an obvious genuine newb stuck to me like glue. I hope I helped them with movement and positioning. Most of the time though you're playing solo as newbs just don't want to fight.

And so endeth my smurfing career. Back to Ranked today Standard smile

Message 1 of 9 (284 Views)

Re: The night I went blue ...

@EdwardDLuffy "I did enjoy it when an obvious genuine newb stuck to me like glue. I hope I helped them with movement and positioning. Most of the time though you're playing solo as newbs just don't want to fight"

This is probably my only complaint with SBMM. I never get legit noobs on my team anymore. It was so much fun when I'd get the chance to carry someone to their first win in Apex. They'd get so excited about it, such a good time.. Match is ending "so uh wanna squad up?!" you could hear the nervousness/fear of rejection. I'd always say no and send them an invite to play some more.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 9 (259 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@EdwardDLuffy  I did this also a long time back, as a test of whether sbmm is actually protecting newbs, I do think I made a topic regarding it...I've slept since then though so who knows? 

First game, it was all news, ran around with two mozambiques and clocked 15 kills. Had 2 more similar games messing around with high kills and then it returned me to normal lobbies. So we can safely say that sbmm is protecting newbs somewhat...the core issue definitely lies in the ease with which players can create alt accounts to smurf with.

I'm tempted to make another and deliberately play awfully just to see how long sbmm does protect bad/new players...It's kinda hard to play worse than your opponents in that kinda lobby though so I doubt I'd get any realistic results.

P.s I approve of your choice of smurf name. Tongue out

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 3 of 9 (253 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

@EdwardDLuffyEveryone, raise pitchforks, light up the torches! We have found a smurf cheater! We must punish him! We must end the blue race Standard smile

Pointy garb aside, my smurfing experience was different, but can't say it's been fun at all.

I started a secondary account on my work PC because of very different setup and environment, restrictions, etc.. Played Winter Express almost exclusively and only pubs after that LTM ended. LTM fights were a pain as SBMM didn't seem to apply there and I also had very different, roughly tuned peripherals and a huge amount of input lag because my access to settings is pretty restricted.

In pubs, first game was a win, with 6 kills, 1K+ of damage and both teammates dead and spectating, although I was still struggling to overcome the input lag. It didn't feel satisfying, the teammates were more trouble than help, the enemies were literally sitting ducks, not dodging bullets, not pushing, not running away, not using abilities, not healing or otherwise doing these right in the open. It was arguably easier than fighting the AI enabled dummies in the firing range (by the way, I also had issues when trying to complete the tutorial, Lifeline's care package not landing in the first dozen attempts or so).

A few games later, I had the 2K on Lifeline, a couple of wins and my KDR peaked at 8. But it felt very frustrating, I couldn't build anything with my teammates, they were very unpredictable and obviously lacking skill. Sometimes I had other smurfs in my team, those resulted in wins or at least top 3 with good damage and kill count. When there were smurfs in the enemy teams only, the match ended much quicker, usually in a 1v2 or 1v3. Anyway, there weren't that many smurfs and, as I was advancing, I started to see more higher level players around anyway.

Around level 24, the game finally pushed me out of the beginner lobby. How did I noticed that? Easy! My KDR was at 5 or so and literally the first game after reaching 100 kills and buying Caustic, my team got vaporized in mere seconds by a full premade pred team, where my killer had about 11K kills and 1K+ wins for S7 alone (after 2/3 of it!). I spectated them, they had to be pros, judging by how they played together, their impeccable movement and spot on aim.

Now, sitting at 43 hours, most stats are similar to those on my main account, but the experience is awful. I have to struggle with the input lag while facing skilled enemies. I can't care about battlepass grinding, as a lot of challenges depend on locked legends , while rerolling dailies not only eats up precious tokens, but is also very broken (if you do a second reroll, there's a very high chance you will get the initial challenge again). The fact that it takes 25 hours or more to unlock one legend with tokens is one of the most absurd things in this game at this point.

Message 4 of 9 (244 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Expert

@DoYaSeeMeSame here, kind of. I had the 8-kill game in which I felt I was the only decent player in the game. Then one TM disconnected and the other ... just stopped playing. I could hear him on mike (didn't recognise his language) but he was talking to someone else (a child by the sound of it) and when I respawned him he just stood there. I was on 6 kills and got two more before I complete squad wiped me.

My KDr was over 4 by then ... and that was it. Every game after was my normal 1, 2 or 3 kills per game and my KDr whittled down.

I would have been interesting if I could have played legends I am used to playing (mainly Rev and Fuse - they suit my playstyle, aggressive to a point but no gung-ho) but I mainly played BH and when I didn't get BH, Bang.

Message 5 of 9 (232 Views)

Champion

I admit I've never wanted to try smurfing. Killing people that have no clue what they are doing just doesnt do it for me. Same as a hot drop where I get a volt and start killing people with nothing. 🤷‍♂️

Message 6 of 9 (214 Views)

★ Expert
@hayhor In one game last night I found a crouching Octane during a hot drop at Estates who seemed to firing an RE45 at absolutely nothing. I put him out of his misery, and probably did him a favour.
Message 7 of 9 (210 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I also have a smurf, but the main reason is to play with my noob friend. Since SBMM looks at the best player instead of the average team skill, it's impossible to play with my low skilled friends, and it has been since season 4, only gotten worse. So i made a smurf to play ranked with him, so i could grind my own rank on my main.

Everytime i want to play with friends they complain that the opposition is sooo much harder then when they play alone. And for me i still feel like i get the same lobbies with at least 8 preds, master and diamonds. I just get an even worse teammate (my friend) then normally. So tbh those kind of games are quite useless and not fun because he doesn't even realise what's happening before he get thirsted. So all that's left is to play a bit of ranked toegether on a smurf. But with the new system i have to watch out not to get too many kills or i rank up too fast and we can't play together anymore either.

So yeah this game got some serious issues.

Since the devs always love to blindly stare at stats they probably don't even realise probably half of their 'new playerbase' are just smurfs. And the only reason is the relentless SBMM that people get tired of because it results in the same game 99% of the time. Double the damage then both your teammates and running into a 3 stack. But hey, i guess people nowadays find it normal that the winrate of top 5% player is the same as a noob who only plays the game once a week. We are all winners!!!! is the motto the devs grew up with i guess.

Message 8 of 9 (204 Views)

★ Expert

I confess I smurfed three games before tackling ranked last night. It's a good way to warm up. Also one game at the end of the session to cool down. Nearly got a win too - second place because we had a Horizon who didn't use any ability once (44 damage).

We'd landed with an enemy squad at Elysium. The other squaddie LL just ran around thumping everyone ... and they all seem petrified of her. Seeing a Bang (with a weapon) just turning tail and running scared was so funny as LL unleashed her fists of fury. She knocked two but got knocked but I killed the last squad member and we got our fists of fury LL back hoorah!

Message 9 of 9 (153 Views)