Re: The fraud that is NFS:NL

by PaladineUK

Original Post

Re: The fraud that is NFS:NL

★ Guide

I don't normally necro threads but given we were discussing this issue almost 2 years ago and there are recent developments I figured I would share them.

So today (due to yet more cash grabbing by EA) the Belgian Gaming Commission has stated that RNG boxes in video games are classed as gambling and as such they must abide by gambling laws (I explained the legal position on this a looong time ago - see earlier int his thread).  They are now looking to ban Pay to Win RNG boxes in video games which is likely to become an EU wide ban at some point int he next couple of years.

Furthermore, Politicians in the US are also calling out EA's predatory practices (gambling laws in the US are very strict) so we will probably see some action there as well in the not too distant future.

So back to this thread - because it has now been established that RNG boxes are a form of gambling, they must follow gambling laws which means that the outcome cannot be pre-determined in a game of chance - meaning that the boxes in NFS:No Limits -must- be random in order to be lawful.

I haven't done any further research on the boxes in NFS:No Limits on whether or not EA have changed their behaviour to make the outcome random or not since this thread back in 2016 - but it would be interesting to know.

Today's ruling by the Belgian Gaming Commission is a really good thing because RNG boxes have rapidly become one of the worst aspects of video games and I for one will be very glad to see them gone for good.

Message 51 of 51 (2,703 Views)