Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: The disgust from devs toward players is thick

by donotwantt

Original Post

★★★★★ Guide

@cake404 wrote:

The dumpster fire isn’t the game, it’s the “community. *snip*

This gave me a good laugh. Not sure if you noticed, but the community is barely large enough to fill a waste basket, let alone a dumpster.

Message 41 of 55 (212 Views)

Champion

@TheRealNichivo wrote:

@cake404 wrote:

The dumpster fire isn’t the game, it’s the “community. *snip*

This gave me a good laugh. Not sure if you noticed, but the community is barely large enough to fill a waste basket, let alone a dumpster.

When you take a look at some of the forum posts you'll find enough egos each one not fitting into a dumpster although some were very fitting for just such a place.

"From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire."

[Robert Frost - Fire and Ice]

I don't work for EA. The opinions I express are my own.
Message 42 of 55 (201 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

If a game was free and it was released with bugs and barely any content, players wouldn't really have much room to complain if they did not pay a dime towards it, unless it has microtransactions, but you don't pay the microtransactions before playing the game. 

If you pay full price for a game and at release it is plagued with bugs, lack of quality end game content, supposed 6 year development time,  a good chunk of the player population has left and poor communication between your devs, players can voice their opinions how they want, as long as theyre not threatening. But in all cases anyone can interpret anything anyway they want now a days. People CAN be very sensitive. But all that aside. There has been a TON of shade on Bioware from release and even prior, people were expecting the game to fail from the start.  Bioware tripped on release, right out the gate. And with our angry and toxic, and pretty hateful behavior they seem like they want to get back up but with the leadership they are currently under just aren't mature enough to  know handle the bad opnions better than we handle our own.  It is even questionable whether they know they can handle the current state of the game and if they can quickly  bring themselves back up and finish the race stronger than when they started. I hope they can, I just feel they won't quickly accomplish that under their current leadership. Weeks are months in the game world. I'm sure they're working long hard hours, but it doesn't mean those hours are spent efficiently. We will see.

Message 43 of 55 (196 Views)

★ Apprentice

@cake404 wrote:

The dumpster fire isn’t the game, it’s the “community.” Unfortunately, burying the community is not an option, so they’ll have to fix the game with a million backseat drivers telling them how to do it.

@donotwantt wrote:

@Spiritual-Zombie wrote:

I don’t know if it’s the case but the devs have every reason to feel disgust toward players. Anthem has received a ridiculous amount of over the top hate and disrespect from its player base. And all while players threaten to quit the game and never comes back they also hold entitled expectations that Bioware never stop supporting this game, while simultaneously cheering on its demise.

On what planet is it fully reasonable for someone to launch a poor product and then be upset with their consumers for voicing their opinions?

Get a grip, those people are not slaves and there isn't a gun to their head forcing them to host the stream. If they want to receive praise they will deliver on what was promised, communicate clearly, and stop making excuses.

I can't shed a single tear of empathy for the 'poor devs' getting what they deserve for releasing this and failing to make any meaningful progress on fixing it.

On what planet do you live on where doing your job is optional and you can just choose not to and walk away?

And nobody is saying there should be nothing but praise for the developers, but you can give credit where credit is due, and be civil about pointing out the issues. The game is not a total trainwreck, and they are making progress on improving it, even if it isn’t as fast as you might hope. Throwing tantrums on the forums trying to make it seem like this game is in some indie pre-alpha state doesn’t help or motivate anyone to communicate with you or work faster.

Especially when people rarely provide viable solutions for fixing the game, or provide necessary information to reproduce the issues they experience. That’s like calling a doctor about a headache but refusing to elaborate or come into the office, going “it’s your job to fix it and it’s not my job to help you! I’m paying insurance for this!” Not to mention the cases where people experience technical issues on their end and blame the game for it.

Found the 18 year old who hasn't had a tough job before!

Found the person who is literally too scared to conceive of leaving a job that is toxic.. Found the person who will stick around in a sweat shop 12 hours a day job where you bust you *** to get a job done and its still never enough. 

Since you haven't grown up enough I will relate a pearl of wisdom to you as someone who stayed too long in one of those jobs: 

You quit for your sanity, because your awful employer doesn't care about you or your well being.

Thanks for reminding me that most of the population playing these games is under 20.

Message 44 of 55 (185 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

My guess is you’re probably fifty or over, and haven’t actually had to survive in the economy the younger generations have inherited from you. With each passing year, fewer and fewer people are able to just walk away from a job for their own sanity. I’ve done that when I was under 20. I may be able to do it now. But it gets harder when you get older and have things like bills, loan payments, and health insurance to worry about – for yourself and, in some cases, for your family.

But yea, got it, Bioware devs should just quit their jobs for their sanity. But their players shouldn’t quit driving them up the wall for the sanity of everyone involved. Because the customer is always right. Right?

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 45 of 55 (152 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
Game is a dumpster fire
Message 46 of 55 (147 Views)
Highlighted

★ Apprentice

@cake404 wrote:

My guess is you’re probably fifty or over, and haven’t actually had to survive in the economy the younger generations have inherited from you. With each passing year, fewer and fewer people are able to just walk away from a job for their own sanity. I’ve done that when I was under 20. I may be able to do it now. But it gets harder when you get older and have things like bills, loan payments, and health insurance to worry about – for yourself and, in some cases, for your family.

But yea, got it, Bioware devs should just quit their jobs for their sanity. But their players shouldn’t quit driving them up the wall for the sanity of everyone involved. Because the customer is always right. Right?

Poor guess, I'm 29 and i would hands down leave any job that threatened my mental health, including my current one I worked my * off to get. You have a lot to learn if you don't think you can walk away from bad jobs. You're no good to society burned out because you lacked the capacity to walk away from a burnout position 

Message 47 of 55 (132 Views)

Champion

As far as the society is concerned, you are no good to it either way once you’re out of money. And more and more people these days are living paycheck to paycheck and are one major financial setback from bankruptcy. If losing a job isn’t an example of such setback for you, you’re one of the lucky few, may you continue to be so lucky in the future.

Regardless, this converation is veering off-topic. But I still find peculiar that you’re so concerned over the devs’ mental well-being that you’d see them quit their jobs over it, yet don’t think we as the playerbase should behave in a slightly more civilized fashion to avoid jeopardizing their mental health to that degree in the first place.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 48 of 55 (114 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@donotwantt wrote:

Poor guess, I'm 29 and i would hands down leave any job that threatened my mental health, including my current one I worked my * off to get. You have a lot to learn if you don't think you can walk away from bad jobs. You're no good to society burned out because you lacked the capacity to walk away from a burnout position 

The game industry is very specialized and highly competitive. Changing jobs can require changing your country of residence. You're working in position where you're creating products that are seen by millions of people. In many cases game industry folks are creating a part of modern culture. When you make the 'International big leagues' in any industry, you'll put up with way more than someone with the average mundane job - because you want to stay. It's like a drug. Quitting could leave you with an industry wide reputation and surviving gives you a badge of honour among your colleagues. Add a professional creative drive and youthful enthusiasm to that equation and you have a recipe for loyal employees. If I was working in a creative position in game like Anthem, I'd chain my leg to my desk.  The average gamer has no idea the level of pressure that 'the Devs' are under. The average forum poster would be weeping in a corner if their work received the same amount of public scrutiny.

Message 49 of 55 (87 Views)

★★★ Guide

@cake404 wrote:

It's more than that for many people because of the industry. If your job is a calling and part of your self-identity you'll sacrifice a lot more than someone working for just money. In creative fields some people are attracted to the work.

Message 50 of 55 (81 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help