The composition of Platinum players

by Cro_Pittt

Original Post

The composition of Platinum players

★ Expert

Based on my solo queuing matchmaking i think Platinum player base can be divided like this:

5% of Platinum players are between Plat III and Plat I playing decently for that rank;

2% is made of old predators that started to play again and have to grind back to it;

93% is the amount of Plat IV noobs that got boosted by their friends and simply remain there because of tier demotion protection and keep ruining games to us normal players who can't grind properly because of them. GG Respawn for not rewarding skill.

Message 1 of 9 (445 Views)

Re: The composition of Platinum players

★ Pro

"Plat IV noobs that got boosted by their friends"

Not by friends. Any bot can get up to Platinum by playing with randoms. It just takes slightly more time.

Message 2 of 9 (438 Views)

★★★ Pro
@Cro_Pittt I think Plat is a easy push tbf, gold isn't hard really.

It's the pushing through Plat that gets tough at times.
Message 3 of 9 (422 Views)

★ Expert

@rockyboy1998 @SlivPTS whatever. My point is remove rank demotion protection so noobs can bo back to their ranks.

Message 4 of 9 (418 Views)

★ Pro
@Cro_Pittt
Newbies will stop ruin game for other players. Seems like good idea, but...
Problem here is that everyone will get to the rank they want and they will stop play ranked. It will dramatically decrease number of players in ranked mode.
Message 5 of 9 (399 Views)

Champion
@Cro_Pittt I only play ranked to get away from sweaty pubs. Tonight I tried it and in silver died to full premade smurf teams. 🤣
Message 6 of 9 (384 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

@Cro_PitttBut demotion protection makes ranking up easier not harder. I agree it makes games less interesting when half the lobby just dies because they don't care, but if all you want is to rank up - that's definitely simpler. With dia4 being put in diamond lobbies since start of this season, getting master is easier than ever (although I still don't think I have the will to put in that many games, as it's still a lot of points to grind).
By focusing on you getting the rank 4's on your team you're completely ignoring the other side of the coin - there's also the same rank 4's in every other team, so 1) getting placement points is much easier (pretty much the "entry cost" of each game is lower because of that); 2) getting KP, even when you're the only 1 alive on your team, is also easier.

I agree that there should not be rank demotion protection - that ruins the "tryhard and sweaty" ranked experience (games would feel a lot different if everyone were doing it, instead of just half or even less of the lobby). But you're wrong thinking that removing it would make ranking up easier - it would be much much harder and higher ranks would have much lower % of players in them than now (assuming scoring rules stay the same).

Message 7 of 9 (362 Views)

★★★ Pro
@Cro_Pittt Yeah, I do agree, in some ways.

The thing is, the step up from Gold to Plat is just insanely different and the step up from Plat to Diamond is also insanely different.

I am struggling to even get RP at the moment in Diamond. It's a joke.
Message 8 of 9 (336 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This is my second time making it to plat. This go around I made it through silver and gold very quickly. I was never carried and almost always lead my team or was a close second. As soon as I got to plat I hit a wall. I’ve been in plat IV (with some RP) since I promoted. 

Message 9 of 9 (304 Views)