The True Reason why Hit Detection is bad in PvZ: BfN

by GutmanSca

Original Post

The True Reason why Hit Detection is bad in PvZ: BfN

★★ Pro

This is one of the most important posts regarding Battle for Neighborville's current problems, this issue is being pointed out since day one and nothing has changed since then.

Hello guys, i am Scatman and this is a post showing the true reason why this game's hit detection/registration/regulation is bad, aswell as why you got laggy servers, and potentially even more problems because of what i am about to show.

To understand this game's hit detection and lag problens, you first need to know what is TCP and UDP. You may have heard of TCP and UDP when setting up a router, configuring firewall software, or looking through VPN features. But what is the difference between TCP and UDP?

WHAT IS TCP?
Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) is a connection-oriented protocol that computers use to communicate over the internet. It is one of the main protocols in TCP/IP networks. TCP provides error-checking and guarantees delivery of data and that packets will be delivered in the order they were sent.

WHAT IS UDP?
User Datagram Protocol (UDP) is a connectionless protocol that works just like TCP but assumes that error-checking and recovery services are not required. Instead, UDP continuously sends datagrams to the recipient whether they receive them or not. --> This protocol has a big problem, wich is LACK OF RELIABILITY

What’s the difference?
TCP is a connection-oriented protocol and UDP is a connection-less protocol. TCP establishes a connection between a sender and receiver before data can be sent. UDP does not establish a connection before sending data.

And here comes the problem: every single game these days use those protocols to be able to have connection, using both of them at the same time to make online a better experience, and different protocols for different plataforms. Now, let's see what protcols Battle for Neighborville uses and its plataforms:

BFNUDPALL.jpg

As you can see, BfN uses A SINGLE UDP PROTOCOL, 3659, FOR ALL PLATAFORMS. Let's see another game, or games, shall we?

GAMESUDPTCP.jpg

So, yeah, it's exactly what you saw, BfN doens't use different protcols for other plataforms, and doens't use TCP, witch is WAY more reliable than UDP.

UDP can be used for when the game is passing a bunch of data, without the need to know if those datas are being lost or not being lost. (example: Cob Busters, Z1 Assault Blaster, Imp Blasters, Robo Lazer, Football Canon, Turbo Twister, Husk Hop, and much more)

TCP can be used for when the game is passing a small amount of data, but this data cannot be lost or sent at the wrong time or order. (example: Heroic Fists, Spyglass Shot, Spike Shot, Chomp, Ultra Flying Fists, Slobber Shot, Gravity Grenade, ZPG, Shuck Shot, Super Ultra Ball, Swoop Slam and much more)

Without the TCP protocol, this game cannot work appropriately, it needs this ASAP. Please, share this post with everyone and give it feedback, we need the devs to see this, or we are gonna never get better servers and hit detection, the solution of this problems may result in even more problems being solved instantly, and make this game much more fun and consistent to everyone. The essential is having different UDP and TCP protocols for all plataforms, but i don't know if that is possible in the current time we are in, but we certainly need more attention on this problem.

Message 1 of 22 (1,700 Views)

Re: The True Reason why Hit Detection is bad in PvZ: BfN

★★ Pro
@GutmanSca This is a huge problem, Hit detection is a problem that is simply persisting since the funders, it is essential that this be solved, popcap of special attention to this problem.
Message 2 of 22 (1,686 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

I think you hit the source code!

But seriously, Popcap sort it out,  you should be reading info like this, community could help bring back the game. Look where you went wrong.

Message 3 of 22 (1,649 Views)

★★ Guide

@GutmanSca pop cap should really look at this post. Currently they do not know what the fix would be for chomper's and SB's terrible hit reg. 

I made post on the subreddit showing a picture of what John told me what the situation: https://www.reddit.com/r/PvZGardenWarfare/comments/i55z3p/if_anyone_was_curious_about_chompers_and_s...

Message 4 of 22 (1,623 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Expert

@GutmanScaWhere did you get the port info?

This link suggest multiple ports https://portforward.com/plants-vs-zombies-battle-for-neighborville/

Message 5 of 22 (1,537 Views)

Message 6 of 22 (1,532 Views)

★ Expert

Never mind found it https://help.ea.com/en-ca/help/faq/opening-tcp-or-udp-ports-for-connection-issues/#pvz-neighborville

I would find it extremely bizarre to learn that this is accurate...one port is foolish.

Message 7 of 22 (1,527 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

This needs to be fixed as soon as possible.
I was thinking about bringing it with #Repairville, but I can't wait more.

Message 8 of 22 (1,324 Views)

★ Pro
@xandindj Repairville isn't going to happen. The developer's actions show that they don't care, and unless if the entire universe is against their will, only then will baby steps occur to fix it. I know this is pessimistic, but whether you like it or not, the truth is this concept isn't in PopCap's favor, so it won't do a thing. Sorry.
Message 9 of 22 (1,306 Views)

★★ Pro
@GutmanSca Good work. You're one of the best. It's a shame this won't get a response on the official forums of the game. Was GW2 like this too? If it wasn't, then why is BFN different?
Message 10 of 22 (1,240 Views)