Re: The Perfect Star Wars Game

by DanteYoda

Original Post

The Perfect Star Wars Game

★★ Newbie

I wish there was a suggestion tab or a way to contact devs...

I've been a HUGE Star Wars fan since it came out in 1977. Unfortunately, all of the games REALLY suck - bad. I kind of like SWTOR, but I hate MMOs as everyone walks all over each other. I like a lot of Steam games where you can make your own server so you can play solo or with some friends, to keep things kind of realistic. Or, just play solo without having to have a server.

I liked about SWTOR that I hate about all of the other Star Wars games:

1. Character creation. You can make your character look however you want, including different races, and you can name your character. Then there was outfitting them with wardrobe and weapons. What I hated was the fact races were pretty much campaign specific, also a lot of the wardrobe was class specific. What if I don't want my jedi in robes, but in a trooper suit?

2. Never ending. Though there is an end story with each build, there is still plenty to do until the next one comes out.

3. Crafting

4. Companions... a DEFINITE like, and the ability to customize them (looks, skills, equipment). I also enjoyed being able to send off companions on their own missions. What I really liked was the fact that you had more than one, but would've liked to have seen the ability to have more than one with you like in the first Guild Wars where you could have 6, or like Kenshi where you can have over 300 to assign to jobs or fight with you.

5. The most awesome cinematics and cut scenes of any other game out there. Hell, some are better than in the movies. Awesome graphics and cga. The other Star Wars games look like 2d cartoons or stop motion... it's worse than what Disney did with Clone Wars, and the action, when there is any, sucks. (Before someone argues that it's my graphics card or memory, I've been building my own systems since 1996 with the newest and best NVIDIA cards on the market and my RAM is always maxed out with the fastest. My systems are always HQ and outperform anything new on the market for up to 7 years or more.)

What I hated about SWTOR and I hate about all Star Wars games:

1. You are locked into your class. What if I want to make a Jedi that turns Sith, or vice versa? Suppose I want my smuggler to become a bounty hunter. Or a bounty hunter, trooper, smuggler, or imperial agent with sith or jedi powers?

2. As mentioned, the locked equipment.

3. As mentioned, the ending of the storyline.

4. Your choices really DO NOT affect the game, no matter what they say. Oh, it changes the dialogue and such, but the endgame is always the same. A choice you make really doesn't affect the SWG. For instance, in SWTOR, you aid a sith for a bit, but you can never bring him to the light side of the force, and after that campaign, you never see him again. I'd like to see him again and maybe work with him again. The SWTOR KOTOR expansion kind of works along that line, and I liked that, but the devs made it crappy as they took out the cinematics, cut scenes, and voiced dialogue and took it back to the 80s and 90s with text, and that was one of the main reasons I quit playing SWTOR, that and like I said, I hate MMOs.

5. No real freedom of choices or play... like I said in 4, all outcomes are the same, and in 1, you are locked into class and what you can do... even the skills, though SWTOR does give many choices in your builds. Also, your class, and your alliance locks you into a storyline which totally sucks. There is no freedom to decline missions if you want to advance in the game.

EVE Online is the best sci-fi game out there, as it is truly open world. You can change anything and everything at anytime, but like I said, I hate MMOs, and EVE Online is pretty much solid PVP. It's PVE is VERY limited, but like I said, it is the TRUE open world, sandbox experience that is so realistic, that it is like a second life, and I was in it for over 12 years with more than 3 accounts. One of the things that totally sucked was no planet side, it was all space, and there wasn't even walking in stations like with BSG and STO.

I'd have to say, that my favorite game is Skyrim by far. It is truly open world. It is so realistic in the fact there are children you can adopt, and you can even marry companions or other npcs. You are never locked into a class, and like EVE Online, every skill you learn, just builds you up. I play Elder Scrolls Online, but I HATED it for the same reasons as SWTOR - locked class, can't build your skills as you like, and can't learn them all, plus MMO with everyone walking all over each other. Though unlike SWTOR, your class can use any and all equipment, and you can have outfits and just change their attributes to anything at all. Another thing I LOVE about Skyrim is that the choices and quests you choose DO affect the game.

Basically what I'm saying is, I'd LOVE to see an Open World Star Wars game that is like Skyrim. I'd love to see it be like many of the games on Steam where you can play solo, open up your own server to play solo or with friends, or open up a server to do MMO. Of course, like with Conan Exiles, it would be nice to see it's own MMO server as well (What I don't like about CE is the lack of NPCs to interact with - no quests). It'd be nice to see a truly open character creator like in STO (I wish ESO and Skyrim had it as well as a lot of features like hair color, body builds, eye color are race specific and kills the reality of making hybrids), or one as advanced as EVE Online where even the bone structure can be changed. I'd love to make truly young and old characters. Another thing that sucks about Skyrim, Kenshi, Empyreon, Conan Exiles, and some other games, you can only have 1 character (Skyrim allows for more than one if you watch your saves or download an add on). That's something else that's nice about Skyrim and ESO... addons. I LOVE them. The Steam games also have a workshop where players can make addons that truly enrich gameplay. Another nice thing about Skyrim is that it is really never ending... no endgame. There's ALWAYS something new. VR would be icing on the cake, which I've heard, but can't confirm, the new upcoming Elder Scrolls chapter may incorporate.

In short, Star Wars has been fueling the imaginations of all ages for generations. It saddens me that a big game producer like EA (which seems to pretty much own the Star Wars gaming franchise) and Bioware lack the imagination and/or ability, to deliver a truly worthy game to the Star Wars fans out there that will continue Lucas' legacy of fueling the imagination of all ages.

Message 1 of 4 (743 Views)

★★ Novice

Well said!!... I too am a HUGE Skyrim fan, and have been playing it for years. I totally agree in the fact that I would really enjoy an Open World Star Wars game with the customization, personalizing, and overall openness that a game such as Skyrim offers. 

I love what EA has done with Jedi Fallen Order, and I also LOVE Battlefront II. 

I do not want to compare much with other games, as I really feel that EA is doing an awesome job with these Star Wars games. But something along the lines of a Star Wars Open World that has the freedom and exploration of Skyrim, with the detail and uniqueness of Red Dead Redemption 2. In my opinion, Open World Star Wars is totally needed, and I wouldn't care if it is the biggest / most expensive game I invest in! That would be a dream come true.

I would love to see all that you mentioned in your comments. 

It would HAVE to have:

- Character Customization

- Freedom of Multiple Characters (Like Skyrim: Special Edition)

- Customizable Starfighter / ship 

- Travel to Different planets (suitable to the Star Wars Era selected)... E.g. Courasant (Jedi Temple included), Tatooine, Mustafar, Kamino, Naboo, Kashyyyk, Dathomir, Felucia, Geonosis, etc (Clone Wars Era example)

- Customizable Weapons: Guns, Lightsabers, Staffs, etc.

- Skill Trees (Such as Skyrim with all branches of skill perks to upgrade and focus on depending on preferred role playing)

- Purchasable Homes w/ storage for items and outfits, etc. on the different planets

- And just an Open World that you can make with it as you will (such as Skyrim)

- Jedi path option

- Sith option 

- Assassin option (such as Dark brotherhood)

- Rebel or Empire ( alot like Empire/ Imperial or Stormcloak)

- Bounty Hunting 

- Smuggler Options (I guess like the Thieves guild or something like that)

- etc. 

Preferably an Open World Star Wars such as this that is focus on Single Player (such as Skyrim)... Again, I wouldn't care how expensive or how big the game would be for it to happen. I would just LOVE to see a quality Star Wars game like this. 

EA..... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make this happen. 

Message 2 of 4 (636 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

A massive undertaking it would be. Able to handle it EA wouldn't be.

Respawn are great at certain things, but a project like that would involve tons of decent writing, quest tiers, careful structure to assure quests play out and affect involved characters and events, and tons of play testing and QA. That's where EA would step in and have fits with deadlines, promises to stockholder, etc. As a result, all the creativity and polish would be taken out of it. They couldn't even manage to give them time to properly polish THIS game, which is why it hitches a lot.

It's been said Where good dev teams go to die EA is.

Message 3 of 4 (611 Views)

★ Pro

SWTOR seems to be what you are looking for.

Message 4 of 4 (535 Views)