Re: The Next Big Star wars Game MMORPG

by ivrognard

Original Post

The Next Big Star wars Game MMORPG

★★ Newbie

EA Should just remake Star Wars Galaxies the MMORPG. Which as hands down been one of the best MMORPG on the market. If they keep the core feature the same and don't add any loot creates the game would make a * ton of money with updated graphics.

Message 1 of 2 (204 Views)
Highlighted

Re: The Next Big Star wars Game MMORPG

@alan376 impossible. The devs for that one were SOE (Sony). While Disney may have the rights after the aquisition of Lucas Arts, the code, the game mechanics belong to the developer.

The legal implications are quite big, so the only way would we see Galaxies back is either a complete change in gameplay (and no one wants that) or Disney and Sony reaching a new agreement and start developing a remake or a new game.

I doubt that it will happen any time soon. Most of the now defunct MMO's were never revived. If they were revived, they did not last much, as once people got past nostalgia, they've seen how the game is comparing with the newer MMO titles. 

Things evolved since 2011 (when Galaxies was shut down), plus EA has its own SW MMORPG (SWTOR). And bringing back the pre-combat upgrade Galaxies gameplay (circa 2005) would mean that there would be gameplay mechanics belonging to early 2k's, something that most of the current player base wouldn't taste. And while the older players might give it a shot, there is no guarantee for serious sales, especially if you keep the old gameplay. 

In the end, the game's downfall was due to poor development decisions and a shrinking playerbase. Most of MMO's do not last so long. Only a few manage to stay online and Galaxies had a good 8 years run. That is more than most, less than the most successful ones. 

A new game, heavy on the story, with modern gameplay, would be more desirable in our days.

P.S.: for its time, Galaxies was an awesome game. But all good things end, sadly. 

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 2 of 2 (188 Views)