The Mastiff is Ruining CQC Fights in APEX

by Tempest131

Original Post

The Mastiff is Ruining CQC Fights in APEX

★★★ Novice

The peacekeeper was a strong gun. It did insane Burst Damage, but it was very difficult to use properly, and people who didn't have a good aim with it would get very inconsistent results when shooting with it. Sometimes they'd get 80+ damage, sometimes they would hit for 18 damage. It took skill to use, and it was rewarding for people who took their time to get good at the game. The mastiff, however, is not as powerful as the peacekeeper (the still very strong) is so much easier and much more consistent to use, that pretty anyone with the mediocre aim can use it. This means that most CQC fights you get into now, most people have a mastiff and can consistently hit you with it, even using it as a mid-range weapon. It's really boring to use, and frustrating to play against people with this gun over and over and over again. PKs were common in Apex, but Mastiffs are EVERYWHERE and why wouldn't you replace any gun for the mastiff, when it is basically free damage.

I get that the devs wanted to shake up the meta, but all they did here was replace a high skill shotgun with a low skill shotgun that now everybody can use effectively, not just people who take their time to improve at this game. This gun is lowering the skill ceiling even more. I love this game, but this change is making me want to go play something else that scratches my competitive itch. Such a shame.

Message 1 of 3 (563 Views)

Re: The Mastiff is Ruining CQC Fights in APEX

★★★ Expert

Honestly I've found the Mastiff to be pretty disappointing, and given you need to really upgrade it to make it work, I'd rather have a double tapping EVA now.  But really, I'd rather have almost any better close range weapon, or just a friggin Wingman.  SMG's seem to wreck people with Mastiffs all the time in early game, and by mid game, you can find better.

Will I use one if I don't have another weapon?  Sure.  But is it preferred?  Hardly.

I think taking the Peacekeeper out was a big mistake, and I'm not surprised with all the complaining.  What was missed is that people complain all the time about the thing that kills them, without really thinking if it is balanced, or took skill or not.  On that you are correct.

People never want to admit that they got killed by someone who is better than them.  No, they want to go blame the Peacekeeper.

Message 2 of 3 (552 Views)

Re: The Mastiff is Ruining CQC Fights in APEX

★★ Apprentice

PK was so OP it was ridiculous. All you people complaining about it when some random scrub with no aim hits ya 2 times and kills ya with it after missing 2 clips.

The Mastiff is a little OP right now as well(hit a few people for 120 yikes), I mean lol.. if you have any aim to begin with.

Message 3 of 3 (544 Views)