Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: The Current Experience (From a Player that is having fUn)

by DonCat3000

Original Post

The Current Experience (From a Player that is having fUn)

★★★★ Novice

Hey people, its Derweanq (Derwin) Ps4,

So...over the last 4-5 days (I can't remember how long its been because of the lack of sleep)...I have found a consistent rotation of players out there to run squads in Anthem. I mean I had to find a whole new subset of friends because my hundreds of friends I already had said... no thanks.... However this has been a great experience!

However However, this has also been a weird experience.

Over the past two days I have hit the legendary gold mine, and I am sorry for those who are triggered by this, because I certainly was before two days ago. And to a certain degree some players that I have been playing with has not had the same luck. And....boy does it suck...let me explain.

We all know Rnjesus expects you to be completely free of logic to gain access into the guild of those who receive his blessing of extreme favor int he form of wondrous loot. But man...maybe im a little soft in the heart but can anybody out there relate to the extreme enjoyment of getting a legendary and wanting to shout out loud in your living room, but when you do you hear the pain in the sighs from your team...And understand this....I know those guys are happy for me, I know they understand its random, I know they get over it and continue to enjoy the game...But its kind of a let down....I mean there was a streak when I got 3 legendaries while sparingly waking up from falling asleep on the mic while my team was doing all the work...I awoke just to say...I got a legendary!....

So...is there a way, the devs can tie the chances of a squad together? Idk...I was playing the division and the experience was the complete opposite. Not only did everyone get something useful after every mission ( i only played 3 missions)...the stuff they didnt like or had duplicates of..they passed on to me...so its like...nobody felt like crap...I mean..we are all putting in work...and in general people feel like the loot system is broken...

I mean look...a new update is coming...maybe it changes all this...maybe people start experiencing that increase in loot drops...

maybe this post is all for nothing...I mean...look there is the other problem that some of my masterworks have better inscriptions than my legendaries...but all in all...Im having fun on the game. and I think i may be addicted to combos.

Message 1 of 10 (295 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I had good luck in Anthem and got several near-god rolls on desirable items.

I still ceased to have fun, as their gameplay impact was negligible, and I was still grinding the same strongholds.

It's fun for a while, but the real disappointment kicks in when you get the stuff you want and realise:

a) The content is the same;

b) The gear does not, really, make a massively meaningful difference.

c) There is little hope grinding whilst it's currently repetitive and tedious will pay-off in an awesome game 'tomorrow'.

I'm glad you're having fun; I also did for a good few weeks. There's no longevity beyond this though. For the folks who are unlucky they're (perhaps knowingly) hiding this behind loot rarity - as long as there's something to grind for, people will grind. This is really as cheap, stopgap fix though, as you realise when you loot the near god-roll stuff, and after a few novelty runs ask the fundamental question 'what now?'.D2 (which I'm playing now, instead) at least dangles the carrot of PvP-awesomeness. Not a perfect incentive, but in lieu of that incentive - then what? There's no extra content legendaries let you access. You're never going to be blowing away content and be the hero of a squad if you have it, because of the dubious mechanics. 

Message 2 of 10 (286 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

In world of warcraft classic(and in almost every MMO) in dungeons a lot of times bosses dropped only loot for one class and nothing for others or maybe an item most could roll on but others won.  Its the nature of these looting games.   That game started to go downhill when they started "gift" loots to anyone with the ssame frewquency. Everything felt less rewearding after. Most of the fanbase left....

Personally I have never had problem with this and I think world of warcraft had been one of the best game where players had to work for their progression while everyone accepted that we were did not get the loot with the same frequency as everyone else.  Some was lucky the others were not but thats why the others got even more excited when they became the lucky ones.

Message 3 of 10 (277 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

In world of warcraft (classic) (and in almost every MMO) in dungeons a lot of times bosses dropped only loot for one class and nothing for others or maybe an item most could roll on but others won.  Its the nature of these looting games.  After they started to "gift" high tier loots to anyone (token system) with the same frequency the game started to feel less rewarding  and it went downhill than the majority of hardcore fans left. It lost its charm and became a dumbed down experience.

Personally I have never had problem with this and I think world of warcraft had been one of the best game where players had to work for their progression while everyone accepted that we  did not get the loot with the same frequency as everyone else.  Some was lucky the others were not but thats why the others got even more excited when they became the lucky ones.

Message 4 of 10 (276 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Yes, as an ex-MMO player, I'm not saying the boss needs to drop loot for everyone on a guarantee. Or even at a high frequency.

But I'd assume if you dropped the run in WoW, you couldn't even roll the dice? As in, you do the run on a chance of the item you want. You very well might not get it (in fact, the odds can be ridiculously stacked against you), but if you don't complete the run, it's guaranteed you won't get it.

It's not about having the boss drop 50 legendaries every run, it's about having it either drop loot that it - and only it - drops, or a sufficiently boosted chance over trash to make it worth it.

Again, game design basics, and something Anthem is remarkably lacking in. These aren't the subtle nuances of grind-game design, they're the absolute basics.

Message 5 of 10 (247 Views)

★★★ Guide

My question pertains to the division 2 loot you were talking about.

Do you get something you can use everytime you go on a mission? Or is it just at the beginning and when you hit end game you dont always get something useful. 

When I first started anthem, every mission I ran I received and upgrade. But once I hit endgame and a GS of over 700 (after the gs boost) I stopped getting something everyone run and now its every few runs or so and now for me it's all about inscriptions.

From every other looter I have played once you get to a certain point you loot upgrades get smaller and smaller.

Message 6 of 10 (230 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

They inevitably get smaller in the Division 2, but they have some mechanics from experience that make it more engaging:

1) You get a lot of 'top tier' loot, the challenge is getting the right roll. You're supported a bit by the ability to transfer a stat from one gear item to another. This is not a perfect system, by any means, but I look at my 100+ division 2 items and hesitate to junk them thinking 'hmm... actually that might be great in a build that....'. However, you get less annoyed at 'meh, nothing dropped', as it puts it on you to say 'something dropped, is it useful?'.

2) The diversity in game mechanics (aided by PvP, which I'm not a fan of), means you can have many items that are legitimately useful depending on the scenario. Perhaps I loot a gun that would synergise fantastically with a heal on crit build. D2 makes me horde and covet loot for that.

3) The diversity in item attributes and potential rolls also furthers this. I struggle to see what a 'perfect' roll on something in D2 would look like, unless it's with a certain build in-mind.

D2 isn't perfect by any stretch, but there's much more depth to the endgame loot in that you can explore (or exploit!) different builds. Objectively, you have more slots, mods, and attributes. Subjectively, these are motivated much more by the potential 'killer' build you might make (whether PvP or PvE). The 'perfect' build in D2 doesn't really exist, and takes a fair amount of thought regarding what loot you have, and what you're looking for to make the best one you can. Anthem is just 'moar DPS', in fewer slots, with fewer effects, and it becomes trivial.

Message 7 of 10 (218 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Novice

Good point. Your correct. I am not sure with division. I can say that my friends are taking longer to get from point A to point B in Division as opposed to my journey to 700 with Anthem.

In division the missions I have played have all felt fresh in some ways, although I imagine it does get repetitive at some point.

Look, I am not really trying to compare the two because I am not a huge fan of division. But there is a growing sense of disproportionate regret or resentment growing. I spend alot of time enjoying the grind while dealing with alot of disheartenment.

My new Anthem buddies and i were talking the other day wondering why not give us more loot and have us grind for the inscriptions. It like...if I had a bunch of trash legendaries, in a reasonable time frame, which is different for every player I think, I would still mix and match the ones I have. Right now I just have a couple.

Its hard for me to describe. Like in warframe I can watch build videos. Because I know I can go onto the game and reasonably get the mods i need and if I am really impatient, I can buy the mods I need to achieve the build I want. 

In Anthem, I skip most build videos because I don't want the disappointment of having to farm it. I just play and whenever I get stuff I get stuff. I would probably be more upset at the game if I was grinding for specific types of legendary items. right now my mindset is "become legendary" then go for legendary specifics. 

I feel it would be more doable to grind Gm3 content for specific legendaries once I am above the threshold to be a legendary.

Message 8 of 10 (208 Views)

★★ Pro

@SharkyH wrote:

In world of warcraft classic(and in almost every MMO) in dungeons a lot of times bosses dropped only loot for one class and nothing for others or maybe an item most could roll on but others won.  Its the nature of these looting games.   That game started to go downhill when they started "gift" loots to anyone with the ssame frewquency. Everything felt less rewearding after. Most of the fanbase left....

Personally I have never had problem with this and I think world of warcraft had been one of the best game where players had to work for their progression while everyone accepted that we were did not get the loot with the same frequency as everyone else.  Some was lucky the others were not but thats why the others got even more excited when they became the lucky ones.

Some of my friends and I have discussed the same thing many times, you make some of the same points that we discussed. "Personal loot" or tokens for loot is extremely boring, guaranteed loot even more so. 

Message 9 of 10 (185 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I dunno about anyone else, but I never got gear to GET gear. I got gear to DO things with it. Like gear up for the next harder raid/dungeon/etc. Stuff that furthers the plot. We have none of that here. Just gear up to grind the exact same content you just grinded to get to where you are. And at the top? More nothing. The loot thing wouldnt BE an issue if there was anything else TO do once you hit 30 OTHER than just grind to get loot for no purpose

Message 10 of 10 (164 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help