Re: The Community Thread

by ivrognard

Original Post

Community Manager (retired)

@ivrognard 

Have you seen Ghost In The Shell movie? Was watching it last weekend, and personally I think it was much weaker, compare to anime one. My favorite is the first season of the series, one about The Laughing Man. As good as cyber punk can possible be IMHO.

Cheers,

Archi

Archi.png
Message 51 of 180 (764 Views)
Highlighted

@EA_Archi I've seen, probably, everything GiTS. To be honest, the anime movie's philosophical side was due to Mamoru Oshii's vision. Masamune Shirow's manga is the reference point for the live-action. Even Shirow (the creator of the universe) stated that each entry in the franchise should be watched as a different take and treated as such and that he enjoyed how people took his work and developed it. 

Shirow is great in pitching ideas, but he never pushed them as far as Oshii did.

If you are interested into japanese cyberpunk, i could recommend the Appleseed movies and OVA series, Armitage III, the Bubblegum series, AD Police series (same universe with Bubblegum, but much better in my opinion), Parasite Dolls (same universe as Bubblegum and AD Police), Cyber City Oedo 808, Patlabor series, Vexille, Battle Angel Alita, Serial Experiments Lain, Ergo Proxy, Texhnolyze, BLAME!, Psycho Pass and, of course, the famous Akira. 

Probably i've missed a few more, but those were the ones that came to me right now. All are high quality japanese cyberpunk anime and deserve to be seen if you are a fan of the genre.

I liked the GITS live-action, despite being weaker than the anime movie. Batou was my favorite in the live-action, as the actor did a mean portrayal of the character. Scarlett Johansson offered a clean acting, but i felt she was underused and shadowed by Batou. The visuals were amazing, pretty close to the anime movie. And Takeshi Kitano...need to say more?! He's "Beat" Takeshi, great in even the smallest part.

While not being on par with the anime movie, the live-action, i think, took unjustified flak. One of the reasons is plain wrong: many people felt that it was too westernized. Which is a false assumption. Masamune Shirow's manga has an western look since its inception and the author admited that he drew a lot of inspiration from Ridley Scott's Blade Runner. All the anime series have the same look and feel, with only Mamoru Oshii's movies leaning towards a more japanese feel. Due to my knowledge of the franchise, i went in without prejudice and i could enjoy properly the live-action. While not a great movie, it was a really decent effort and i'd say that 7,5/10. And yeah, i've read the manga and seen pretty much everything, with the exception of the GITS 2.0 and GITS: The New Movie (the last one is scheduled for this week-end, while the remake of the original anime movie will wait probably a bit more). 

And, damn, i got carried away againStandard smile

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 52 of 180 (755 Views)

@ivrognard Standard smile 

That was quite a insight into everything GiTS related. WOW! I hope you know all this, because you are a huge GiTS fan, and not like this is your standard "report " on any anime series out there.  

Cheers,

Archi

Archi.png
Message 53 of 180 (751 Views)

@EA_Archi i am an anime fan (which means i've seen a LOT of them), but i am also a cyberpunk fan. Which is a nasty combination, as i am always on lookout for my favorite genre. GITS is one of my favorite anime franchises, with Serial Epxeriments and the Bubblegum/AD Police/Parasite Dolls coming on the next places (two and third). That's my top 3 cyberpunk anime. 

Serial Experiments Lain might be right down to your alley, as is just as philosophical as the original GITS movie. Bubblegum Crisis is a more action-oriented series, but somehow, never goes in deep, despite having the potential to do so. AD Police has some serious storytelling and appeals to your feelings, being surpassed by Parasite Dolls in the department (and that would be my second recommendation for you and could serve as an introduction in the shared universe of Bubblegum/AD Police/parasite Dolls). 

Let me know if you watched any of the titles, as i am curious to see other people's opinion. And if you need more recommendations, i can dig through my "seen" list and check what else i can add to the list that i've already posted.

I blame Gibson for my love for cyberpunk and Hi no Tori 2772 for my love for anime (i was six when i've seen that movie and i've seen it again quite a few times since and is still one of my favorite anime movie)

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 54 of 180 (745 Views)

@ivrognard 

I`ve been into anime many years ago. But most of the series, I`ve watched were fantasy ones, like Fate Stay Night, or Full Metal Alchemist to name a few. Sadly, I do not have time to enjoy all the shows right now. The latest are Castelvania on Netflix and Attack on Titan (season 2 is the next thing on my To Watch list). And speaking of full length anime - my favourite is Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.  

Archi.png
Message 55 of 180 (730 Views)

@EA_Archi  Oh, yes.  Vampire Hunter D: Blood lust it's still one of the best vampire anime shows out there. And because you've mentioned Fate series. Did you see Tsukihime and Kara no Kyoukai movie series?! I think that those are the best entries of the Fate universe. 

Message 56 of 180 (725 Views)

And this is something dedicated to @EA_Archi.

Hope you will enjoy it and thanks for the awesome job you do here.

Message 57 of 180 (641 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

I've seen the 1995 Ghost in the Shell movie but not the newer live adaptation. I've read the manga some and played the PS1 game back in the days Tongue out

I honestly should watch newer anime myself. I used to watch anime a bunch a decade back and back when I was school age but then life has taken me in directions where I haven't had time to it so much and somehow I felt back then like the quality of anime wasn't pleasing me. Now I feel like getting back to it again but don't quite know where to even start.

Message 58 of 180 (625 Views)

@RedFoxxie  Anidb is a pretty good resource. But don't put too much stock into user reviews or user's runts. Use the calendar to check waht was released since you've dropped anime watching. Anidb has a calendar structured on months or seasons, but to get a specific year you will have to type the year manually (small problem, easy to ignore due to the actual content of the site).

Anime (and not only anime) is usually launched in Japan in January, April, July and October. So if you the month setting you can see the most part of of a specific year launches. What is released between the specified months are usually a few OVA's and movies, rarely you will see a series launch outside those 4 months.

I never gave up on anime and i can usually find a few good ones in any given year. And in '95, i was in my first year in college. But my love for anime dates since i was six, when i've seen Hi no Tori

It captivated me so much that i had to find it when i grew up a bit. Probably seen that particular movie in the series 7 times by now, Still not bored of it and still relevant for me. There are series that many people are finding them to silly, but they seem to completely miss the second layer of the story. Too focused on the fun part, so they end up missing the whole drama that is behind (City Hunter, Cat's Eye, Great Teacher Onizuka and Lupin The Third are examples of such anime). There are forgotten series like Kimagure Orange Road, Galaxy Express 999, Legend of Galactic Heroes, Monster and many, many others. There are some better known like Noir, El Cazador del Bruja, Madlax, Gunslinger Girl, Haruhi Suzumiya, Kanon, Air or Clannad. And of course the series that most people know (Naruto, Bleach, Dragon Ball and such).

I recognize that i find old anime better. But on any given year i can probably spot three, four new titles that are at least decent, if not great. My favorite this year being so far The Saga of Tanya The Evil (Youjo SenkI).

Would help me to make some recommendations based on your likes and the year when you gave up completely on watching anime.

Message 59 of 180 (615 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@ivrognard  Ah GTO , that surely brings good memories. My Cresta ! Been meaning to read the manga since forever.

The last anime I remember watching was (Zan) Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei which was from 2009 I believe. But generally I've been watching less and less anime since around after 2006. Back then I remember watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and really loving it but afterwards I simply didn't have as much time or desire to watch things and by 2009-2010 I ended up really just dropping anime completely.

Generally I am namely not too interested into the whole Action/Comedy/Fantasy genre where One Piece and Naruto lie at. I can find it enjoyable to watch random episodes here and there but I just can't put myself through a whole series of it. The older generations of such animes like Dragon Ball-series is just and just enjoyable but again not something I really prefer. Harem-things like Love Hina really, really are not up my alley either. I also generally dislike horror and in-general dislike excessive use of blood. For this reasons for example I find Elfen Lied difficult to enjoy even though I completely can see it being promising.

Probably one of my favourite animes is The Legend of Galactic Heroes. I also enjoyed Cowboy Bebop and I used to like Gundam-series up until SEED where I felt difficulty enjoying it fully. I mean, it's story-wise alright but.. The art-style was really not enjoyable to me. It's not just about robots and neo-stuff though, I do enjoy a good comedy-drama-romance mixture and the slice-of-life genres. Clannad for example I've always loved and liked. School Rumble and Azumanga Daioh along with GTO were what more or less symbolize to me the early 2000's anime, haha. Then there's the parody genre. Like I mentioned Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei , but I have hard time remembering many others. All I can think of right now is Cromartie High-School.

There are exceptions, too, though, such as me liking Fist of the North Star.

Some friends of mine suggested me Angel Beats but I haven't gotten to it.

Message 60 of 180 (605 Views)