The Characters I want to see getting NERFED in the next update

by GutmanSca

Original Post

Re: The Characters I want to see getting NERFED in the next update

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@benn1nat0rYes, yes you can stack the 3 health upgrades for Acorn.

Peashooter is nuts. This character has been broken since GW1 and no one does anything about it. Bomb's sfx is buggy and you can't relly on it to get away, it's size is really small and hard to see, but the explosion is broken 10 meters range. Pea Suped completely makes him overpowered, more than he already is. If you know how to use direct hits, you can basically make the game yours.

Action Hero's damage output is simply stupid, if a character demands aiming, doesn't mean he isn't overpowered.

Homing Peas and homing in general shouldn't exist in the first place. It's just cheap noob gameplay since GW2.

Message 21 of 36 (364 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Basically, they need to find where the median performance of any character should be and then balance everyone towards that line, bringing extreme outliers towards that line first, and then fine tune as needed. I can't say what the line they want is and you'll likely get a scattering of performance points that will never fall neatly on that line but need to be an acceptable distance from that metric. For example if a character chosen is determined to be the median and they are given a value of 1.0, a character at .96 is still acceptable while a character sitting at 2.1 is not. I don't want to get crazy with detail here but the values would be based on; DPS, overall win%, streaks, XP rate, and so on. It's Likely best to focus on PvP values instead of PvE ones as it's more crucial that PvP balance is taken care of for a healthy and competitive environment. Obviously upgrades are a huge part of this and not just the legendary ones, foot soldier's rapid fire, acorn's hardened, and some others have been problematic and skew performance values compared to other upgrades.

They should also tweak play styles that aren't fun to play as/against and work on them so they are neither. As an example; Engineer was a favorite in GW1 and 2 (I miss the drones from GW1 especially), but in BfN, they are certainly effective but just not that fun to play, especially when defending in TT. The turret system needs to be changed to be less powerful, it's always strong but it's extremely effective when defending.

Message 22 of 36 (351 Views)

★★ Pro
@benn1nat0r At least on console, I find that the matchup against Soldier (when I'm playing as Peashooter) is generally easy, and vice versa. I consider myself a good soldier player, but I often struggle against good Peashooter players. And it's not just about that matchup, Pea does well against almost everyone. He's so versatile and fast and powerful.

Message 23 of 36 (325 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@shurikeninja wrote:
@benn1nat0rAt least on console, I find that the matchup against Soldier (when I'm playing as Peashooter) is generally easy, and vice versa. I consider myself a good soldier player, but I often struggle against good Peashooter players. And it's not just about that matchup, Pea does well against almost everyone. He's so versatile and fast and powerful.

The Peashooter vs. Foot Soldier is a classic matchup and since GW1, the Peashooter is usually the victor thanks to their splash damage against the soldier's assault rifle and this is a big part where 'pogo pea' comes from. Since the Peashooter can use that splash damage and the soldier has to hit directly, its far easier for the peashooter to win that contest, especially when jumping around like crazy.

Message 24 of 36 (317 Views)

★★★★ Expert

@shurikeninja & @Iron_Guard8 

I think your comments only prove my point. In order to win, Peashooter has to waste one of his abilities and jump like crazy (Pea Souped).

Without using it, Soldier would win because of his way faster rate of fire. In addition to this, he has a missile with a crazy large hit box and splash damage.

And he has the op rapid fire upgrade. This upgrade shouldn't exist, or be a legendary upgrade, since every other upgrade that changes the primary significantly is a legendary upgrade. His damage should be reduced with the upgrade, but ammo capacity and rate of fire improved.

I consider myself to be very good with both Peashooter and Soldier, and in my experience both have an equal chance to win if they use their abilities. Without using them, Soldier has the upper hand 80% of the time.

Message 25 of 36 (308 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

It's important to note that Peashooter didn't have Pea Suped in GW1 and 2, they had hyper or that hyper leap ability that almost no one used as basic hyper was better. It made you move faster and jump higher but didn't affect your fire rate at all. And even without it, because the pea damages the soldier on near misses, but the soldier has to directly hit, the peashooter has come out on top in these exchanges the majority of the time. In fact the main reason you see pogo peas so often is that it's become second nature to a lot of players, even without these abilities. 

The rapid fire upgrade for soldier is indeed too good and can be considered essential in the current environment. There's no doubt it needs to be removed/changed/nerfed. 

But assuming no ZPG or bean bomb, and without rapid fire soldier upgrade, the peashooter is going to win more often with or without pea suped, pea suped just makes it easier. If you throw the stink bomb in the mix, the soldier will do better, especially in BfN where zombies can see through it, but again, if the peashooter can get enough splash damage and avoid the solider's shots, the peashooter is going to do well, even if they lose that soldier is going to be in bad shape. 

Message 26 of 36 (305 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@Iron_Guard8I agree that the ability shouldn't increase his rate of fire. I understand a lot of your arguments and believe that they reflect you experiences made in the game accurately, but mine are a little different. I always encounter Soldiers that just use ZPG when Peashooter uses Pea Super and win, because the hit box of the damn thing is so broken.

Message 27 of 36 (300 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

I would like Foot Soldier’s Rapid Fire upgrade to remain as is, maybe even buff its speed to more than it provides now, however it should cost 4 upgrade points to use, reduce his damage and increase his time to reload.

Message 28 of 36 (292 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@TheSprinter85 This would also work. I think it needs to make some aspects of him worse, else it is op. I think they could rework it into a legendary upgrade.
Message 29 of 36 (286 Views)

★★ Pro

Added 2 more characters to the list. Hopefully the next month balancing is worth the wait.

Message 30 of 36 (258 Views)