Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

The “Carry Me” Club

by Valiantsword

Original Post

Highlighted

Re: The “Carry Me” Club

★★★ Guide

My suggestion is be a hero. 

Save the day. Show the other players something to aspire to.

Message 21 of 52 (195 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@rune0077 wrote:

Hopefully finding a good team you can trust and rely on becomes easier once the clan features are implemented.

Yeah, clans are sure to help, if nothing else you get people on the same Discord channel who have a reason to be civil to each other - at best you have amazing resources for pre-built teams. I think clans could do a lot for this game right now. Guilds are currently showing planned for April.

BTW: If you see me on your team, I'm one of these guys who struggles sometimes - and I appreciate the support I get from players I don't know - but you won't see me in GM2/3, only GM1, currently at 576 and still find GM1 rather challenging.

Message 22 of 52 (193 Views)
Highlighted

@TROUBLEWITHTOIL wrote:

@ValiantswordI literally put people who do that on "ignore" and report them for cheating. the first thing I do in EVERY mission is look at the levels. I wont even start if its a bunch of grapes or interceptors.

Haha, I do the same thing now.

I've learned my lessons the hard way.

Message 23 of 52 (189 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Quote:

Rule number one of online PvE games: you play a public match, you have no control over who you end up with. It's pointless to moan about that, because that has always been happening, and will keep happening. If you play public always expect you have to carry the team, and never play a mission/difficulty you are not comfortable with being the one who does the carrying. Then, when you don't have to, you will pleasantly surprised.

Otherwise you need to team up with some friends. It's not other people's responsibility to live up to your expectations of them. If you can't accept playing with underpowered players, then it's your responsibility to find a team that you are okay with. In short, you are the one making it a problem, so it's up to you to find a solution. The solution in this case being, don't play public matches if you aren't okay with the results you get. Hopefully finding a good team you can trust and rely on becomes easier once the clan features are implemented.

Funny thing about this. We had a discord that had over 300 people playing and it has dwindled to less than 10 people logging in weekly cause Anthem just keeps losing players in droves.
Sadly a lot of the players I regularly teamed with are now. playing something else that works. - major issues still abound and im talking optimization here not minor bugs and annoyances.

Message 24 of 52 (150 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Expert

@Malignance wrote:

Quote:

Rule number one of online PvE games: you play a public match, you have no control over who you end up with. It's pointless to moan about that, because that has always been happening, and will keep happening. If you play public always expect you have to carry the team, and never play a mission/difficulty you are not comfortable with being the one who does the carrying. Then, when you don't have to, you will pleasantly surprised.

Otherwise you need to team up with some friends. It's not other people's responsibility to live up to your expectations of them. If you can't accept playing with underpowered players, then it's your responsibility to find a team that you are okay with. In short, you are the one making it a problem, so it's up to you to find a solution. The solution in this case being, don't play public matches if you aren't okay with the results you get. Hopefully finding a good team you can trust and rely on becomes easier once the clan features are implemented.

Funny thing about this. We had a discord that had over 300 people playing and it has dwindled to less than 10 people logging in weekly cause Anthem just keeps losing players in droves.
Sadly a lot of the players I regularly teamed with are now. playing something else that works. - major issues still abound and im talking optimization here not minor bugs and annoyances.

I actually saw a thread complaining about a Discord server for Anthem that apparently was atrocious, I have been in Discord servers that I will never go to again. Not saying yours was that one, I don't know, I haven't been in yours, but there are a variety of reasons why people would leave a discord server. Unless you exit polled them all its hard to say that they left because they aren't playing Anthem.

Message 25 of 52 (140 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I actually thought, I'd never comment on this post.. But after the last run of ToS GM2.. All I can say is OMG. I have since extended my mute list by three.. Which consisted of a colossus, and two storms who despite their PL.. Had absolutely no clue, poorly geared or had no concept on how to run ToS. No one rezzed, even though they could. One Storm stood right near me, yet refused to help out.. and my Ult fully charged. Honestly, do they expect everyone else to do the work for them or what..

Message 26 of 52 (127 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Apprentice

I've had similar experiences (both as a noob and as a mentor) but have a different outlook on them.

The main draw for me for games like Destiny and Anthem was the social aspect: meet strangers in the world and cooperate by conversing with game mechanics not words. This way you get an unspoiled immersive experience in the world's fantasy, but also get a sense of purpose and meaning to your play: I helped that person and they helped me, that was a awesome experience.

So for me I like helping people do content they find challenging. I have to adapt my playstyle to assist them, which makes me a better player and more able to help others in future. I also am highly social, emoting to people: waving when we spawn / meet. Throwing flares at treasure chests I find. Clapping when the team earns a chest. I find doing this actually gets others to see that I'm a human on the other end of the internet: and then they themselves adapt their behaviour, and we have fun.

Some of the most memorable games I've had was when I was underpowered relative to others but stayed social, and people helped me through by setting up comboes, reviving me and protecting me, showing me safe spots etc... I learned from those mentors and now am a mentor myself doing the same to the new players. I find it rewarding and meaningful.

Thus I'm rather suprised by a mentality I see where people focus on loot rewards as the reason to play... You get people rushing content to increase drops per time: they play for the reward not for the reward of play... And that sucks! Cause they're going to get frustrated and impatient and negative; which rubs off on others. Suddenly other players are just doing their own thing so I might as well be playing with AI allies.

However, I do agree that if the game says +xxx power recommended then allows players of significantly lower level to do that content, then that should be corrected. I did have one player stay out of combat while others fought cause he kept getting one shot. So to fix this I stayed with him, kept looking at him, kept using my support ability. Slowly they got more confident, knowing I'd had chosen to make it a self-imposed mission to help them out. Would have missed out on that experience if the game just booted them.

Message 27 of 52 (121 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

Had the same experience, on GM3, where I was doing all the damage and rezzing the rest of the guys in the group, and I was the least geared one in the group at 690

I mean the only metric I have to judge performance is the xp you get at the end and I got like 4k, which was 4 to one what the other guys got, including the legendary javelin.

Message 28 of 52 (108 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@OdysseyHome great post, 100% what you said.

Carrying is part of any multi player experience and it makes the game more challenging which can be great.
In this case the OP was still able to clear the mission so I have no idea what the complaints about? A true battle that you power through and win in the end? Sounds like the perfect round.

I do agree we need a power cap, but mainly to keep the overpowered players from one shotting their way through my games and making strong holds just too easy.
If you go down to a level you are way to strong for your abilities, guns shields etc need to be nerfed to maintain balance.

Message 29 of 52 (85 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Apprentice

What about looking at it like its an opportunity to get someone else involved and love the game as much as you? Teach them? tons of people still don't know about mini bosses in the tyrant mine or the simple fact that killing random mobs in between the bosses has way better chance at loot so instead of rushing take the time to say hi to someone new and chat? I know it doesn't always work and I hate just carying people too but a lot of the time its someone that has no clue what their doing. By now I feel ive got every camp spot and advantage point on lock and would be glad to share. better to help them out that ignore them..

lol that being said..we do need better verbal AND non verbal communication in game. a kick system rly doenst work in practice cause of greifers and trolls...OR elitest  that "refuse" to play with purples or blues. Ill never play Neverwinter again because of issues from that system. Either way glass half full guys Standard smile

Message 30 of 52 (75 Views)
Twitter Stream