Re: That was a fun 2 months.

by Vruhag

Original Post

★★★★ Guide

This game has only been out for 2 months! There are updates and more changes coming, but in a 2 month span I think they've been doing a great job. They are definitely still a big competitor with fortnite, at least for the older crowd like myself that hate fornite. 

Message 11 of 47 (881 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

That is not really good enough.

They clearly paid streamers to fan girl over this game, they should have had a back log of content ready for this game. The game has way too many flaws.

1) Team based only, People are jerks, and team base games the br community is not the best. Now people just go off and treat the game as a solo game even on team, and if they die they just leave.

2) Cheating...who the heck thinks this anti cheat is good?

3) poor balance of heros. I mean for real?

For all that money they paid Ninja to hype the game. You would think they would have had a back log of content ready to push out. To keep the hype going because at this rate, the game will not make it. You say just two months, but in two months having this big of a drop is a bad sign.

Message 12 of 47 (872 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@Silz616 wrote:

@Vruhag wrote:

Take a look at the average Twitch viewers; it's solid for such a new game, but the hype definitely is over! Respawn failed to use the initial gain they got in their own favor. Sad, but true.

Apex-Legends-zuschauerzahlen-auf-twitch-April-2019-nehmen-ab.jpg

That's Twitch views,

I always have full matches when I play. Between 55-60 squads anyway. Apex isn't that great to watch. Much better to play.

Twitch is scum platform anyway. Dubious business practices and ethics. I'll watch zero content on there.

Yes, these are Twitch views; and whether you like this platform or not, it gives a strong indication about the overall interest of the gaming community in the game or lack of. And for me it's clear that the hype, for which EA paid tons of money, is over, and now the game needs to either fix its issues if it should be able to maintain a stable player base and have growth again in the near future, or it will decline further.

And of course you've got full matches, because it doesn't matter if 1000 or 10000 players queue up at the same time, you'll have a few match soon enough. This really means now nothing at the moment.

For me the game is now in what the Gartner hype cycle calls trough of disillusionment. How much higher the plateau of productivity is going to be, we'll see.

Message 13 of 47 (842 Views)

★★★ Guide

@Silz616 wrote:

@Vruhag wrote:

Take a look at the average Twitch viewers; it's solid for such a new game, but the hype definitely is over! Respawn failed to use the initial gain they got in their own favor. Sad, but true.

Apex-Legends-zuschauerzahlen-auf-twitch-April-2019-nehmen-ab.jpg

That's Twitch views,

I always have full matches when I play. Between 55-60 squads anyway. Apex isn't that great to watch. Much better to play.

Twitch is scum platform anyway. Dubious business practices and ethics. I'll watch zero content on there.

Then maybe you take google trends more serious (even companies rely on these stats for business decisions):

ddd.jpg

Message 14 of 47 (820 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I mean they spent so much money keeping the twitch base going, that to say twitch does not matter is kinda defeating in itself. If it did not matter, why invest in ninja, and the rest of the people? Come on now.

It is sad because this game could have been great. I'm sad to see Doc, and the rest of them go back to fortnite. Well whatever.

Message 15 of 47 (768 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Interesting video and I don't normally bother, it also has valid points to it.

Maybe this will go down as a case study for the ephemeral pointlessness of 'inlfuencers' and how quickly their 'influence' evaporates when the money they are doing something for dries up and they go back to - in this case - Fortnite because it is where their main business is.

Also - these streamers are going to primarily influence under 16s, maybe under 12s, AL isn't really aimed at their demographic like Fortnite is who can be herded around at the will of a developer's marketing budget.

I tried Fortnite again last week after only 4 rounds when it first launched, after 2 rounds I uninstalled it as a childish java game marketed at children.

What adult wants to play a game where someone is running around building fences behind them as they run?  Ninja, but at $500k a week I would guess any adult would tolerate such childishness.

I would say a Lego game is more appealing to adults, I have a lot of them.

And the last point - that you realise there is nothing there after a while, the emperor's new clothes, the AL IP is great - on a par with Borderlands in my opinion, but the actual game itself is an empty husk.

I can see no point in playing, I am someone that cannot hit anything or kill anyone even when they are downed, despite having few problems in other games.

You drop and with the now faster ship and the teams are spread out more but you get wiped even quicker with players with just a handgun, I get more damage with punches and grenades than I do with any gun.

There seem to be three distinct strata of players - normal ones with approximately what kills you would expect them to have at their level and under 100 and also who miss, the pros who have x00 and constitute a problem for the normals as they are 75%-100% accurate, and the evolved humans with x000 kills, x000 head shots, x0 season 1 wins and 100% accuracy and NEVER miss, they make machines look inefficient and accident prone.

Normals - me - serve no real purpose with the other two groups other than as fodder or padding, even if you make it to the top 5 teams the other 2 strata sort of fire in your direction and you are dead in under 1 second.

I would buy an AL single player game without a thought, otherwise I am contenting myself with the not very good Overwatch free week, a couple of games of the not very good Quake Champions a day, the not very good Hearthstone every 3 days and in the absence of anything of better quality - which is really scraping the bottom of the gaming barrel - retail TF2 bought in 2009.

This?  Couldn't care less about solo mode, I just want a better gaming experience for normal players with engine improvements and the segregation of players who are playing 5 different online games at once and winning every one.

Until then I don't see pretending it is going to change after nearly 70 hours ingame nor waste any more time.

Message 16 of 47 (751 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Yea the really dropped the ball. This game was the Fortnite killer and they couldn't run away with it. Took way to long to get stable servers. Too many lag fests when first dropping in and instead of addressing the issue they were telling players it was their own internet when it was happening to everyone in the lobby.  Took way too long to adjust the wingman.  Too long to address the rampant cheaters in the game. The battle pass was extremely bad.  The game at its core is the BR by far, but too many problems and lack of communication with its player base. People have been begging for solo player and duos which would've helped with the server load.  That part personally doesn't effect me, but a lot of those sole players out here have no incentive to play the game right now.

Message 17 of 47 (692 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@DarkWingPenguin2 wrote:

Yea the really dropped the ball. This game was the Fortnite killer and they couldn't run away with it. Took way to long to get stable servers. Too many lag fests when first dropping in and instead of addressing the issue they were telling players it was their own internet when it was happening to everyone in the lobby.  Took way too long to adjust the wingman.  Too long to address the rampant cheaters in the game. The battle pass was extremely bad.  The game at its core is the BR by far, but too many problems and lack of communication with its player base. People have been begging for solo player and duos which would've helped with the server load.  That part personally doesn't effect me, but a lot of those sole players out here have no incentive to play the game right now.

could be malicious haters.  and if all them left to go find another game thats fine by me.  still popular enough to have good match maker.  titanfall 2 is still popular enough for me to have competitive matches.    so apex is hugely popular in comparison.  pubg just had a tournament and its not as many players as apex still.

but I don't know why it doesn't have a decent matchmaker.  I don't mind waiting titanfall 2 queue times.  which is like  a couple minutes.

ban quitters.  ranked and unranked queues.  skill rated matchmaker.   

Right now playing without two friends is murder.   torturous with randos that run around with rambos for kills.  Its really cool we can invite last squadmates and I like that alot,  but usually i'm looking to just find people at my own lvl.   like if we all won a match with even dmg and kills.    we gonna regroup for sure.  but a skill rated matchmaker on dmg and kills would be great without having to search for friends.     and ranked season queues with elo rating based on wins.  or top 3 placement.    and then unranked queue for practice or people who like randoms..

obviously I'm dreaming but if they did any of those it would be cool start. 

Message 18 of 47 (674 Views)

★★★ Guide

@RichAC wrote:

@DarkWingPenguin2 wrote:

could be malicious haters.  and if all them left to go find another game thats fine by me.  still popular enough to have good match maker.  titanfall 2 is still popular enough for me to have competitive matches.    so apex is hugely popular in comparison.  pubg just had a tournament and its not as many players as apex still.

but I don't know why it doesn't have a decent matchmaker.  I don't mind waiting titanfall 2 queue times.  which is like  a couple minutes.

Right now playing without two friends is murder.   torturous with randos that run around with rambos for kills.  Its really cool we can invite last squadmates and I like that alot,  but usually i'm looking to just find people at my own lvl.   like if we all won a match with even dmg and kills.    we gonna regroup for sure.  but a skill rated matchmaker on dmg and kills would be great without having to search for friends.     and ranked season queues with elo rating based on wins.  or top 3 placement.    and then unranked queue for practice or people who like randoms..

You forget the most important thing about your stance:

It doesn´t matter at all how popular the game is for YOU or the other 100 people left in any game that ever got released (even you can still get matches running).

The game has to be popular for a huge amount of people, especially if it´s F2P because only a small percentage will buy cosmetics.

Otherwise the companies behind these games wouldn´t have enough revenue the keep devs (who work on bugfixes, balancepatches), servers (which are usually rented and even cost upkeep like energy and traffic if they´re their own), anticheat (which you usually have to pay a monthly fee) paid.... which will usually end in games getting shut down after ~1 year.

Message 19 of 47 (637 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@MjNaise wrote:

@RichAC wrote:

@DarkWingPenguin2 wrote:

You forget the most important thing about your stance:

It doesn´t matter at all how popular the game is for YOU or the other 100 people left in any game that ever got released (even you can still get matches running).

The game has to be popular for a huge amount of people, especially if it´s F2P because only a small percentage will buy cosmetics.

Otherwise the companies behind these games wouldn´t have enough revenue the keep devs (who work on bugfixes, balancepatches), servers (which are usually rented and even cost upkeep like energy and traffic if they´re their own), anticheat (which you usually have to pay a monthly fee) paid.... which will usually end in games getting shut down after ~1 year.

And a game can still be popular without it being big on Twitch. I never watch Twitch, and neither do any of my gaming friends.

Yes Respawn paid influencers to get the game in public eye, but Fortnite and it's teenage audience is what makes streamers their money.

If  my wait times start to suffer, that will be the true proof if the game is suffering. Right now, I have full lobbies and matches within seconds of loading up the game. That shows the base is still healthy.

Maybe once the Twitch craze is over, players will stop acting like DrD and move on to something else. That guy, his attitude and playstyle stink. What a lovely example to the community... not. Toxic vile person who's key audience is again, teenage kids. Monkey see, monkey do mentality.

Message 20 of 47 (633 Views)