Thanks for installing crapware in the guise of anti cheat with out notice

by Horus_Blackheart

Original Post

Thanks for installing crapware in the guise of anti cheat with out notice

★★★★★ Novice

I bought the game via Steam despite my reservations. After installing the game and having issues linking my steam and origin accounts, I find out that the game is bundled with easy anti cheat. This installed without my knowledge or informed consent. There was no mention of it on the steam page or the Eula just vague mention of 3rdparty software. This is not good enough EA. I don't appreciate or desire software on my system that installs with out my express consent. Further the fact this crapwhare requires ring 0 access makes me genuinely angry. No game requires that level of control over a system, not to mention the inherent security and stability implications. Bad form EA. Luckily I'm still with in my refund window and its something I'm seriously considering. Only malware and other shady software installs without user consent.

Message 1 of 23 (951 Views)

Re: Thanks for installing crapware in the guise of anti cheat with out notice

It's up to you to choose what to do and you clearly have the option to do so.

Though it seems entirely reasonable to have measures to combat thieves and cheaters, this is hardly unexpected for such a game, particularly as i don't think anyone would enjoy multiplayer with rampant cheating going on. Standard smile

Mostly following BioWare & Star Wars games. Old timer. Helping out here does not mean I work for EA so I don't have all the answers. Also hangs out on BSN. 

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 23 (905 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@Horus_Blackheart The only people that dont like Anti Cheat software are cheaters
Message 3 of 23 (885 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Crashd0g Sorry, I disagree. I'm a network security professional and have seen issues with this type of software. Sony had issues with it several years ago. Ring 0 should be reserved to OS only as a security measure.

I'm glad I saw this. I won't be purchasing the PC version, but I might buy the XBox version (need to see what they're doing on that platform).
Message 4 of 23 (848 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Not true that anyone criticizing an AntiCheat is a Cheater. AntiCheats can do their thing and be effective without making your PC at greater risk than it needs to be.
Ring 0 access is not needed to make a good AntiCheat. Ring 0 is a lazy approach that leaves you vulnerable.
They should be using Machine Learning and getting the hell out of Ring 0. Not even your AntiVirus needs Ring 0 access to put it in perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM7x2-52H98&

Message 5 of 23 (787 Views)

Champion (Retired)
Hi @Horus_Blackheart

You're really complaining about Anti-cheat software?
Can you explain what anti-cheat should be implemented because EA can't win with you guys.

I take it you don't have an anti-virus program on your PC and you don't use platforms like Facebook right?
Message 6 of 23 (747 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Oh boy, where to begin. I'm not complaining that an anti cheat system exists. I'm complaining that there was no notice on the store page or anything in the Eula, nor any consent prior to installation.

1Standard smile I do use security software extensively;. What some seem to be missing is what ring level 0 access means. The software has direct access to the windows kernel  equivalent to root level for any Linux people if something in ring 0 has bugs or security flaws  it could be used to exploit the system with out user awareness. since its whitelisted security software wont stop  malware thaty hoock in to a signed process. That is why this is bad.

2Standard smile "Only cheaters complain about anti cheat har har" That's such a well constructed rebuttal I might as well get off the internet :P In fact that statement is the height f ignorance. That's on the same level as saying "only thieves and criminals care about DRM

3 Standard smile the counter argument seems to come  down to "but muh game" with out considering  the wider implications.  when people cant assess risks that's how exploits happen.

Message 7 of 23 (736 Views)

Champion (Retired)
@Horus_Blackheart
I myself understand what ring level 0 access is and I’m quite happy to allow that on my system if it makes for a good anti-cheat.
You only need to look at the complaints on the battlefield forums to see what happens when you don’t allow ring level 0 access. Like I said it’s a no win for EA.

And sure it’s a fair point if you wanted to know prior to installation, but if you were so concerned about something like this I thought you would have looked this up beforehand?

There is a thread that’s been on this forum for a while where I mentioned the game uses Easy Anti-Cheat.

I mean what would you do if they did tell you prior to installation, ask for a refund? Because it would make zero sense to make it optional.

Message 8 of 23 (714 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@CarbonCarl Let me get this straight. You are totally fine potentially compromising your system to stop a few cheaters Further you expect buyers to research all the potential anti cheat systems EA Could implement with no contest prior to buying the game? If so that makes no logical sense.
If they had disclosed it prior I would have assessed the risks and impact on my system then decided if the trade off was worth it.(its not). .Having made that determination I would have not bought the game. Further more I rarely look at these boards so while you were aware of the system used I'm betting a majority were not aware of the implementation. I would take valves Vac system over anything that needs ring 0 access to function. Anyone that really wants to cheat will and compromising everyone system to try and stop that is like hiding under a table when a nuke go's off kabuki theater at best.
Message 9 of 23 (700 Views)

★★ Guide
@Crashd0g Indeed.
Message 10 of 23 (680 Views)