Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Text chat is absolutely required.

by Ratsle

Original Post

Highlighted

Text chat is absolutely required.

★★ Guide

Anthem is in dire need of text chat for coordination. Currently it seems everyone plays with VOIP disabled, making it absolutely impossible to communicate beyond vague emotes.

It is currently impossible to tell your squad where you are, where an important objective is, or that something is bugged. I have been in multiple Tyrant Mine, and free play missions where people did not know what do to with the relics, and would fly around until they got bored and left, leaving us missing a relic and halting progress.

Message 1 of 30 (812 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Guide

They're trying to figure out what is "feasible" which I don't really buy. Given that the game is just about to launch, it's clear they had no intent to add it until people started complaining. And then people started quoting a new law being enforced that is only being half enforced (can't have text chat without a text to voice option) yet there's no voice to text option for those that are deaf. So I also don't buy that the law is the issue. It just seems to me that they didn't want to spend time or money adding a system that would only be primarily used by PC players, you can look at the Ui and controls and see that the game was ported over from consoles instead of developed independently like some studios do. 

So yes, we need text chat, it's going to be a clusterfrak otherwise. 

Message 2 of 30 (783 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@Arsenic_Touch wrote:

They're trying to figure out what is "feasible" which I don't really buy. Given that the game is just about to launch, it's clear they had no intent to add it until people started complaining. And then people started quoting a new law being enforced that is only being half enforced (can't have text chat without a text to voice option) yet there's no voice to text option for those that are deaf. So I also don't buy that the law is the issue. It just seems to me that they didn't want to spend time or money adding a system that would only be primarily used by PC players, you can look at the Ui and controls and see that the game was ported over from consoles instead of developed independently like some studios do. 

So yes, we need text chat, it's going to be a clusterfrak otherwise. 

This.

Not to mention, there are other games coming out that have text and voice chat without these apparently "legal" issues.

Message 3 of 30 (767 Views)
Highlighted

★ Apprentice

LOL WHAT!!!

There's no text chat in game...but bioware made starwars the old republic (RIP) they had a text chat box....they have the technology they know how to make it work....they know most people are on PC (PC Master Race!) 

Did EA just not give Bioware enough time to make a great game or is Bioware dead?  I really want to know more!

LOL seriously if there's no chat in this game I forsee a nose dive...

Also nobody uses Voip because nobody wants to actually voice chat with a random or child (REEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!)

lol EA: GIVE US YOUR WALLET!

Message 4 of 30 (756 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Guide
To everyone wrongly blaming EA/Bioware for not having text chat in anthem, please do some research before screaming bloody murder.

"Brenon Holmes explains the implementation is complicated by the Twenty-First Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act (CVAA), which mandates text-to-speech functionality in certain games released after 12/31/18."

"The FCC had extended its video game industry waiver for another year back in December, which means games released past December 31, 2018 will have to adhere to these guidelines. While the task of turning all text in-game to speech would be monumental, it’s disappointing a publisher as big as EA isn’t able to commit to having these features."
Message 5 of 30 (729 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Apprentice
I looked up that act act at https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/21st-century-communications-and-video-accessibility-act-cvaa

I don’t see why we can’t have text chat based off it though, we need text to speech Incase a blind person is playing the game?
Message 6 of 30 (713 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Guide
@Ratsle
It's one of the laws that started with good intentions but ended with a bad aftertaste.
Message 7 of 30 (707 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Novice

@PurpleHairMcgoo wrote:
@Ratsle
It's one of the laws that started with good intentions but ended with a bad aftertaste.

CVAA does not require removal of text chat. There are plenty of games launching that are meeting CVAA requirements.

Message 8 of 30 (622 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice

I'm perfectly happy without text chat. Could use a ping system though.

Message 9 of 30 (619 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Pro

I counter with "Text chat is absolutely not required", even if it was implemented there is no guarantee it would be paid attention to after 5 mins of the inevitable "yo mamma" garbage and the bullying by one or two in a run to get players to do it their way. I personally have played a bunch of online games with no text chat and no problems.

Message 10 of 30 (611 Views)
Twitter Stream