Re: Tap strafing controller Apex Legends.

by GITS-SAC

Original Post

Tap strafing controller Apex Legends.

★★ Novice

Apex Legends I think you guys have ruined the game, taking strafing away from controller players and leaving MNK playing with this option is insane.

I have spent ridiculous amounts of money on this game, spent hours practicing tap strafing just for it to be removed. I understand removing the ability to use cronus zen because they are basically cheating but making it so I cant strafe using steam controller bindings blows me away. you will be losing many many apex players because of this. I hope you people decide to give us some movement back but until then I will not be playing this game including many others. 

I have played this game legitimatly the entire time, maybe nerfing aim assist makes sense but removing our only ability to keep up with MNK players is digusting. FIX THIS.

Message 1 of 34 (5,486 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
Respawn says: "We are making changes to remove "automated" strafing on controller"
I have no idea how they did it
"automates game mechanics for a competitive edge over other Apex players is considered cheating and is unacceptable."
totally agree

I suppose you can still set AWSD to the stikc of your controller and perform manual Tap strafing
That should also be removed, or playing with controller or MNK you shouldn't be able to use both.
I've seen streamers on Twitch who add keys to their controller, even a mouse wheel.
Message 2 of 34 (5,386 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

What they did is they just made it so you have no lurch on controller, if tap strafe on roller is activated you barely move. All other input binds in steam works (so that guys video with the no recoil, probably still works idk what the inputs were). It should affect the bs NEO strafing so thats good, granted i think a better solution would be to add actual fatigue system to excessive jumping, similar to dead sliding where you jump multiple times and your extremely slowed (think falling to a flat surface on all characters but horizon).

Realistically i think they should remove tap strafing until they figure out a way to make it balanced and available on all inputs. It's just a fun mechanic and it should be available to everyone. Realistically it should be fairly easy as nobody needs left stick for sprint, because everyone uses auto run on roller, so just make that activate wasd/mouswheel  movement (let consoles have fun for once). You could even make it an option once activated AA is gone or nerfed to .1

Not allowing a roller to bind other buttons isn't any different then allowing mnk to bind mousewheel to jump and W. Speaking of mousewheel it activates faster than any key or button can be pressed, so its basically a built in turbo (which maybe they should cap inputs per sec). I agree with the input argument locking you in only one because the same reasons as algs, otherwise you can use a roller close for AA and a mouse far for the more precise aim. So the answer to that is locked inputs, no reason a roller only, mnk only, and all input lobbies can't be added (oh wait game mode ui is garbage in apex and probably wouldn't allow it  =D ).

Regardless of what they do, i think controller support needs a full redesign, the customization for buttons in this game is the dumbest menu I've ever seen. Having an AA system that is OP at close range but garbage at long range is just trash and unbalanced, considering close range tracking is the most difficult aiming to do on mnk why make the other input strong in it. And nerfing guns in some half * attempt to hotfix balance the inputs is just lazy, granted I'm all for a shotgun AR meta.

Message 3 of 34 (5,326 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

This is just Apex way of saying that anything that costs money to properly fix should be removed.

When there is something wrong with a game, it should be fixed, not removed. And it's not like they have limited funds. One hireloom cost more than a preoder price of an AAA game, and don't get me started about the deathbox thing. And if you guys care so much about cheats, what happened to half of the top players(preds) that got exposed for cheating(it's not only No. 1 pred, half means at least 375). The only reason Apex Legends is still alive after all this is because of its unique movement features. So fix this or this will be the reason that Apex Legends dies. Fix means not allowing macros but allowing movement that requires effort.

@xXGOATRAMPAGEXx wrote:

Apex Legends I think you guys have ruined the game, taking strafing away from controller players and leaving MNK playing with this option is insane.

I have spent ridiculous amounts of money on this game, spent hours practicing tap strafing just for it to be removed. I understand removing the ability to use cronus zen because they are basically cheating but making it so I cant strafe using steam controller bindings blows me away. you will be losing many many apex players because of this. I hope you people decide to give us some movement back but until then I will not be playing this game including many others. 

I have played this game legitimatly the entire time, maybe nerfing aim assist makes sense but removing our only ability to keep up with MNK players is digusting. FIX THIS.

Message 4 of 34 (5,048 Views)

★★★ Guide
@xXGOATRAMPAGEXx Ok, I wasn't aware they went this far. I heard they are taking steps to get rid of the fake flipity junk, but to still allow MnK to do it is wrong. It needs to be gone period if it can't be learned without changing scripts or binding multiple movements to one key, making it an unnatural movement not possible without a mod.

I can still tap strafe with my gyro controller in switch because it is part of the controllers movements and I just flip my controller sideways to do it, and a PC controller with gyro capabilities could probably still tap strafe since a gyro acts as a mouse wheel right?

Anyway, I don't think they should give MnK users an unfair advantage over controller users, that's just wrong. The game needed the fake stuff removed, but it looks like more still needs to be done.
Message 5 of 34 (5,017 Views)

★★ Novice

Well i wouldn't even say MnK has an advantage. The movement they nerfd was knee * reaction to that one video of a guy stating he made steam configs for everything, no recoil, neo strafe 1 button, auto armor swap, and other things that are downright cheating for controller. I'm all for stopping this especially with how out of control neo-strafing was becoming.  But the fix just killed lurch, I have no idea if these other things still work or not, they probably do and even without the movement on roller, a equally skilled roller player to mnk will still out shoot them because of the strength of AA. ALGS is a prime example, its basically 2-1 ratio of roller to mnk. I hate to say but theirs some clear incompetence here (you know where). It's W their tying to fix cheating, but lets be honest were drinking the Apex copium because its an overwhelming F how they did it.

Message 6 of 34 (4,978 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@xXGOATRAMPAGEXx Well they disabled it because people were abusing configs for way more ridiculous things like instant looting, instant armor swap, no recoil//jitter aim, shot + instant 180, instant supergliding, neo, strafing, etc. Tap-strafing most likely fell victim to all of the other configs being abused. It's unfortunate that controller players can't tap-strafe while M&K still can. I just had a Pathfinder barely escape one shot in ranked due to a tap-strafe and by the time I got to him he got a full batt off and one-clipped me since I was a 4th shield and full health causing me to get 11th place and take a -45 after just taking a -75 to a bad teammate landing us hot.
Message 7 of 34 (4,928 Views)

★★ Novice

They only disabled lurch movement. you can still insta loot and 1 button superglide. So they literally just removed the movement.

Message 8 of 34 (4,858 Views)

Hero

With the changes they shipped out what it did was remove the ability on steam for players to set up automated movement mechanics. This is 3rd party applications that is trying to gain an unfair advantage against others. 

Let's not forget not only did steam controllers get hit but as of yesterday they also shipped out a patch that completely removed these abilities from mouse and key. No more cfg files for automated movement either. 

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 9 of 34 (4,807 Views)

★★ Apprentice

They are just trying to kill controller players on PC. If you ask me, all movement like tap strafing and super gliding and moving while looting should be removed from both inputs.

But, just do what a lot of others in the Apex Discord have said. If theyre going to keep attacking controller players while babying the MnK crowd, go buy a Cronus and level the playing field.They said they were getting rid of tap strafing and the MnK crowd cried so loud they reverted their decision. Now, theyre completely ok with removing it from Controller players that are trying to level the playing field and the advantage MnK has. 

Im seriously considering it, because MnK has every single advantage over Controller but "AiM AssIst" which doesnt even come into play unless youre at point blank range but their next nerf will be to aim assist. So yeah, the devs do not want controller players in their game.

So go buy a Cronus, use the built in macros that cant be banned because it only uses the available game inputs, and go about your game. 

Until Respawn actually decides to actually even the playing field, I say do whatever is necessary to do it yourself. 

Message 10 of 34 (3,996 Views)