TTK and it’s impact on higher skilled lobbies

by Axs5626Sxa5001

Original Post

TTK and it’s impact on higher skilled lobbies

★★★★ Pro

I hate to say this, but the Apex experience for any players slightly above average has become really problematic. 

I have made multiple threads on SBMM but S6 seems to be magnifying all of the pre-existing issues. For this group of players, the game literally allows you to make ZERO mistakes. The lower TTK have made pubs feel 10 times more punishing than ranked games of the past.

I know the devs and this community support SBMM and the idea of keeping lower skilled players safe, but I literally BEG YOU to step outside your current perspective and acknowledge that players are being absolutely punished for “having good aim”. 

Good players are winning at a lower rate than medium tier or low tier players— how is this fair???

Message 1 of 23 (845 Views)

Re: TTK and it’s impact on higher skilled lobbies

Champion
@Axs5626Sxa5001 I'm very curious to see the next pro tourney and how people react.
Message 2 of 23 (833 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I prefer lower TTK.  I came from COD so it’s just a style that I’m more comfortable with.  I always felt apex ttk was too long.  Seems like the game rewards those with fast twitch reflexes more now and I prefer that.  I’m down for anything that speeds the game up.  Now if only there was some way for apex to fix the Slow overly conservative play style of every single team I’ve been paired up with lately....

Message 3 of 23 (818 Views)

★★★★ Pro
@hayhor My issue is that, in a pro tournament, it SHOULD be extra sweaty and unforgiving.

I’m talking about PUBLIC MATCHES. I am not a pro player, yet literally every single match pairs me with the top 5% of players in the world. I’m talking pred and master trails comprise about 55% of the lobby and the rest are diamond trails and no trails.

My kill feed is constantly comprised of the top PS4 streamers or known preds. As a players who can’t break into preds, I find it odd that the actual high majority of my pub matches feature the same preds game after game.

And look— I want lower skilled players to enjoy themselves on Apex, but I want skill to be the determining factor between who wins more than who. I’m currently on a 60+ game losing streak and my lobbies are still comprised of a majority of preds and masters.

Does my experience online matter? Or nah?
Message 4 of 23 (812 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Expert

@Axs5626Sxa5001 I'm pretty sure @hayhor was agreeing with you. Lower TTK across the board has exacerbated multiple pre-existing issues that the game already suffered from, notably third partying, lack of functioning audio, SBMM, hit-reg and server performance etc. etc.

I think what they meant was, "It's going to be interesting seeing how people react to lowered TTK in a professional setting what with the pre-existing issues we've had, and how lowered TTK has only made these things more prominent." 

Like from here: https://clips.twitch.tv/AuspiciousHedonisticGoshawkRaccAttack

Professional Esports player gets caught in an invisible Wattson fence, and the casters don't say a thing about it. 

Message 5 of 23 (798 Views)

Champion
@Axs5626Sxa5001 I feel for you I really do but.......and this is not how I think it should be.......your level of player is comprised or 3 to 5% of the player base, assuming you are diamond or above. So they sacrifice you so the other 95% will keep spending.

It is like twitch streamers or youtubers. Everyone goes wow that guy gave $100 to a steamer but really it is about the thousands that give 5 to $10 not the elite people.
Message 6 of 23 (789 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@hayhorYeah man I wasn’t disagreeing with you. I have read multiple posts from you in this community and I am certain we are in agreement.

I’m trying to get other people to reconsider their own perspective on what the gaming experience is for the other players. You referenced the Pro scene so I provided my opinions on such.

As mentioned before, I have posted a few threads on the negative implications of SBMM and they have been deleted by moderators with no follow up explanation. So I am well aware that EA prefers people to support SBMM for all the reasons you mentioned in your post.

I’m just genuinely struggling with my patience regarding public matches. I’m struggling with the notion that people are ok with public matches playing out exactly like ranked and that being ok. It reminds me that the same people saying SBMM is good, are the same people who have NO IDEA how unforgiving these lobbies are. It’s like the government passing a law that directly and significantly affects a certain community, without taking into consideration what it actually does for the people in said community.

Not their problem I guess, right?

Message 7 of 23 (764 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@Axs5626Sxa5001 "Good players are winning at a lower rate than medium tier or low tier players"..... i don't like the new TTK either but am curios , why the good players unable to win with the same rate of the medium and low tier players ?
did they become not good suddenly or the low and medium tier player become better ?
Message 8 of 23 (712 Views)

Champion
@maximas1986 He is saying that because the lobbies he is in have really high skilled players. This means those players really know how to play. They can laser beam you and always take good position.

I believe EA believes the sbmm putting similar players together means that winning should average out between levels but it does not seem to do that for the OP.

I think a huge part of winning tho is playing in squads with people you know and I think this means even more the higher the level you are.
Message 9 of 23 (671 Views)

★★★★ Pro
@maximas1986

This problem existed before the TTK change, and is more of a negative consequence of SBMM. Because the SBMM tries to always match you against the most competitive opponent possible (while cueing with friends), players of all skill levels are winning at close rates. If you try to improve your skills to win more consistently, the SBMM algorithm matches you with even stronger opponents and this results on more losses. In this fashion, it no longer benefits players to get better for more wins.

The TTK reduction makes it even harder for skilled players to win, because they have reduced the player’s ability to defend against an opponent just standing in the corner waiting for the skilled opponent to walk by. Defensive movement was a dimension of skill and they just reduced some of that dimension.

Just to be clear, I don’t think the TTK reduction alone is as horrible as people are making it out to be. I just think that paired with the aggressive SBMM, the game is absolutely miserable in above average lobbies. This isn’t an arena shooter where you respawn after making a mistake— this is a game with long wait times and players with decent aim absolutely melt you for the tiniest mistake. Make a casual mode without SBMM so I can go back to enjoying the game.
Message 10 of 23 (668 Views)