Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

[Suggestion] A better Funding Model

by DraugrBearBlood

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

[Suggestion] A better Funding Model

★★★★ Novice

First lets start off with why, I firmly believe that one of the main reasons so many people choose not to buy anthem is to spite EA a sentiment that i shared but got over due to it being bioware. One thing i found interesting is that having played Anthem alot i eventually burned out and moved onto other games however anthem is a game with a very unique feel a feel that every now and then i get a itch to play a feel that cannot be sated by any other game. 

To this end i suspect alot of the negativity leveled at anthem are from people who never actually played the game, not to gloss over the very valid critisms of the game being quite undercooked and lacking in endgame content which i fully agree with frankly.

I cant help but wonder would Anthem be helped by having a Free to Play part to it that literally anyone can play the game especially now that all the server issues are sorted. My suggestion would be to give them full access to the game but only get to pick 1 javalin. Then allow the player to purchase other javalines seperatly my suggestion would be in the 10 to 20 Euro mark per jav.

To this end i would also suggest that cosmethics should not be monitised and instead locked behind challenges or feats thus adding individual mastery progressions to individual javalines. Why Javs as the monitisation well because they specifically add new and interesting gameplay for the player they also should have mastery challenges to provide something to strive for.

It also opens up the potential for future revenue via new jav releases without the traditional problem of dividing the player base by money gating new content such as new locations, enemies or even factions.

Thus when there is a new expansion of content players have a reason to come back as they dont have to commit money but maybe when they see the new jav that launched beside said content they may be interested in purchusing said jav.

I dont know much about monitisation in gaming, but i am of the firm beleif that the core to a sucessful game in the long run is a game that can attract players initially and then have some reason for the players to return periodically and funnily enough when it comes to anthem a bioware game the reason that attracts me to return is not the story i can barely remember what happened but instead the mechanics of combat being satisfyingly heavy for want of a better term so well done to the animators and modlers at bioware.

Message 1 of 15 (364 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [Suggestion] A better Funding Model

Champion

Only letting someone unlock one javelin won’t necessarily be much of an incentive to get them to pay for the full game. Lots of people who bought the Legion of Dawn edition only ever play one javelin.

I imagine they could let people play for free up to Finding Old Friends (and then let them run Tyrant Mine) or something, just to get a feel for the game, and add a level cap. But then it would get weird for those who would use a Premier subscription to play instead of buying the game. What happens when the subscription runs out?

Maybe they could offer to play the game for free for the first month or something (after which it would require either a Premier subscription or purchasing the game itself). Or make the first month of Premier itself free, but that’s a whole another level of offering.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.

View in thread

Message 7 of 15 (277 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Apprentice

@DraugrBearBlood wrote:

My suggestion would be to give them full access to the game but only get to pick 1 javalin. Then allow the player to purchase other javalines seperatly my suggestion would be in the 10 to 20 Euro mark per jav.

Serious question. How is that a better funding model?

New player comes along, oh free game, plays all content with a single Javelin, realises how non-existent the end game actually is, leaves the game having never paid real money for anything .... not much funding there

Message 2 of 15 (353 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@DraugrBearBlood wrote:

To this end i suspect alot of the negativity leveled at anthem are from people who never actually played the game, not to gloss over the very valid critisms of the game being quite undercooked and lacking in endgame content which i fully agree with frankly.

Those that are constantly defending Anthem, are more likely to have never played. It's not the business model that is flawed, it is the game.

Message 3 of 15 (335 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@NoInstall 

Well for one i would hope that such a system would allow for more than one player to come and try the game, but in that situation youve got a player with a investment in the game even if it is only a time investment thats at least one more person who might come back every few months to see if the game ever got any content as opposed to what we have now of most people have simply wrote off the game as a failure.

Also if that individual has freinds he might want to play it with them, i typically if playing a free to play game would often suggest to freinds iam playing other games with to play it with me as there is nothing to loose in trying it out so to speak.

Its a question of is it better to have many people who might buy a Javaline in game as opposed to what we have now of most people who were going to buy the game already have.

Message 4 of 15 (306 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@TheRealNichivo 

I agree the game is flawed and needs much more content and honestly better writing could have helped, however i beleive my point still stands that a way for people to try the game without buying it would help its case as its reputation is far worse than the actual gameplay.

Message 5 of 15 (303 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@DraugrBearBlood wrote:

@TheRealNichivo 

I agree the game is flawed and needs much more content and honestly better writing could have helped, however i beleive my point still stands that a way for people to try the game without buying it would help its case as its reputation is far worse than the actual gameplay.

Maybe until they hit the endgame. All of the major problems with this game involve the end game. It takes two weeks, tops, to hit that part of the game. And then you want people to purchase the other three Javelins for between $30 and $60. Are you serious? Just to replay the same exact content or lack of content in the end game?

Message 6 of 15 (282 Views)

Champion

Only letting someone unlock one javelin won’t necessarily be much of an incentive to get them to pay for the full game. Lots of people who bought the Legion of Dawn edition only ever play one javelin.

I imagine they could let people play for free up to Finding Old Friends (and then let them run Tyrant Mine) or something, just to get a feel for the game, and add a level cap. But then it would get weird for those who would use a Premier subscription to play instead of buying the game. What happens when the subscription runs out?

Maybe they could offer to play the game for free for the first month or something (after which it would require either a Premier subscription or purchasing the game itself). Or make the first month of Premier itself free, but that’s a whole another level of offering.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

Message 7 of 15 (278 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@MaireDevylin 

Thats a fair point, the lack of endgame content is a problem with the game anyway, which would likely need to be fixed before such a system were put in place.

@cake404 

Thats also a fair point perhaps having the story locked behind buying the game granted that might not be ideal either as honestly i found the story lack luster but have a strong hold and maybe a few contracts as the free version could work.

I donno at this rate iam just going to accept the last responce as the solution and kill the tread as the idea i had in my head is slowly falling apart.

Message 8 of 15 (258 Views)

★★★ Guide

@cake404 wrote:

Having up to a certain level free is already a model that works for Blizzard with WoW, so I think that could work. If you don't sub, or your sub runs out, you can't access anything. I believe you can create a new toon and play it to level 20 (I think that's the limit, it may have changed) again.I wouldn't be against this model.

As for Premier sub vs buying the game: I think that will all come down to personal taste and if players engage with multiple games. The only reason I did the sub, instead of buying the game, I like to have access to all the Dragon Age and Mass Effect games. I lost my disks and codes to the original purchases long ago. With this model, I know I will end up paying more than it would have cost to by the game in the long run, but with the number of games I get, to me it's worth it.

I've seen some interesting suggestions in this thread, and definitely worth BW looking at. Right now, I'm in a sort of gamed-out malaise and really not playing anything. Not because of Anthem, just not feeling the gaming bug at all right now. I'm still lingering and keeping up with news, etc though.  

Message 9 of 15 (253 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Well, the point of a free trial model is to show people what they can expect from the game. To me, the story, and NPC interactions in general, were a major factor in my enjoyment of the game, but obviously there are people who didn’t enjoy it, or never cared for it to start with. At the end of the day, the game is what it is. It needs to find an audience that will appreciate that, not try to sell itself as something it isn’t to people who will just want a refund afterwards.

Message 10 of 15 (222 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help