Re: Stop Asking About What Happened to the Milky Way; You Already Know.

by Borealys

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@r_debene91I guess you didnt get the point of my post that the secret part was the mission being changed. They all thought they were going for exploration, not survival of the races. But keep loling...

It doesnt need addressed because its out of the picture. Am i curious too? Yes. But its at best a minor plot point and not at all relevant to the continued development of andromeda. The new series is about the ryders and andromeda, the MW plays no role in this, but its apparent youre just too hung up on the MW to let it go. I mean, not being able to let go of a game lol worthy. 

Message 11 of 17 (1,090 Views)

★★★ Novice

@AeromusPrime22 Sorry, but the Initiative was not a secret project and was known enough that Jian Garson had people protesting outside her office to be allowed a spot on the Arks. It was not founded to send the Milky Way races to Andromeda to escape the Reapers. That was the person, or persons, known as the "Benefactor" reason. Jian Garson started the Initiative in 2176 to explore another galaxy but ran out of money to continue funding the effort before or around 2183, when ME took place; after the attack on the Citadel the "Benefactor" had approached Garson and offered her massive amounts of funding to continue the project. From what we can see in game as well as from the comic "Mass Effect: Discovery" and the novel "Mass Effect: Uprising", Jian didn't really believe in the Reapers. We also learn in game that the Initiative left earlier than was initially planned, and it's been hinted at multiple times that it was the "Benefactor" who pushed for leaving earlier.

I will say this, while I don't think the entire Initiative needed to be informed that the Reapers were real and had attacked a year after they left, at least not in the game, I'd at least expected after the Archon's defeat, we'd be able to have a meeting where we informed the other Pathfinders, Tann, Addison, Kesh and Kandros. Which I fully expect Tann to say "Let's not tell anyone." And everyone else pretty much agrees to keep it quiet until later on after they've settled and are gathering enough resources to keep things running.

As for why the Milky Way hasn't responded, the obvious reason is because EA/Bioware doesn't want to canonize any of the endings, for obvious reasons. In game though, there could be various reasons why even if the Citadel races survived the Reaper's genocidal onslaught they haven't answered. And one of those is, they simply forgot about them. 600 years is a long time for all the races except the Asari and Krogans. It's possible that the Citadel races, if they survived, completely forgot about them, or they entire Initiative was relegated as a myth, and thus their signal is being ignored as a "joke" or "prank".

Another possibility is that many of the races, humans included, were so badly damaged by the war with the Reapers that they lost the knowledge of a lot of their advanced technologies and reverted back to more primitive technology.

There's a myriad of good reasons why, if the Citadel races survived, they would or could not answer the beacons.

Message 12 of 17 (1,061 Views)

★★ Guide

I couldn't agree more with everything you said.

The thing is, people is still struggling to let go of Shepard and the Milky Way because we used this same protagonist in 3 games. DragonAge didn't have this issue because we had a new protagonist with every title, so fans didn't desperately cling to much to previous games, but I feel that because this wasn't the case with Mass Effect: people got too invested on the story, so much that they demand a return to the MW.

Bioware was pretty firm in burning all  the bridges back to this galaxy when they offered 3 different endings, and it would be a bad move to choose one of them as canon, disregarding the choices of players who chose a different one.

It's up to people to decide what happened "back home" depending on what they chose, it gets tiring to see people throwing tantrums and bashing on ME:A just because they're not getting what they want.  Shepard and crew were great, but their story is over. Move on.

Message 13 of 17 (1,053 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Well again, I'm not referring to the Initiative being secret, that its primary mission was changed being a secret. Almost no one had any clue about the Reapers and even then as you said many believed they were a myth. As you said, the Benefactor really pushed the project suggesting it was someone who knew of their existence as fact. Given the resources required my guess was it was Liara after she took over as the Shadow Broker. 

Yeah, I wouldnt expect the leaders to make it public knowledge. There are many, many reasons the MW might not be trying to contact them and its possible they wiped all data to ensure the Reapers couldnt find out about them. And for all we know no one who knew is even left alive.

I would say a technological jump back is unlikely. The ending showed them repairing mass relays and even though decimated most the worlds did survive. 

Message 14 of 17 (1,039 Views)

About the signal from Andromeda...

Is it a general signal broadcast, or is it to a specific receiver or type/location of a receiver??  The Geth modified a Relay to scan the Andromeda galaxy, and I assume this technology was also used/modified in some way to attempt to communicate with Andromeda...so maybe the reapers destroyed the modifications cause they didn't want any mucking with their technology??  Maybe the specific receiver was destroyed??  Maybe the damage to the launch areas was so great or operatives for the Benefactor destroyed them to cover tracks, that nothing was left as far is info or receivers for Andromeda???  Maybe those who remembered about the Andromeda Initiative were killed in the war??? 

Honestly, most Except for SAM and Ryder simply believe that they left the Milky Way behind and have relegated that to the past since everyone they knew is now dead there(due to old age)  Maybe the Krogan and Asari don't believe this, but they see it as something not all that important. 

Honestly, why does it matter so much, since in life and death situations, only things that can keep you alive really matter, and the Initiative has enough to deal with trying to survive a hostile area to worry about the lack of communications from people 600 years away....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 15 of 17 (991 Views)

★ Apprentice

I'd just love for them to address what happened to the Salarian and Quarian arks... heck, even bring them around in a second ME:A game. I think that was really the only unsettling thing for me besides zero DLC for ME:A, was the unresolved storylines regarding those other arks.

Message 16 of 17 (928 Views)

★ Guide

I believe it was to be dlc and it was covered in a book that i just started reading. From the first two chapters it was sabotage. 

Message 17 of 17 (863 Views)