Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Steam Vent preferences

by RubyJavelin

Original Post

Highlighted

Steam Vent preferences

★★★ Guide

With one of the most popular gear pieces still on the Regulator Store for a few days, I’d like to ask you fellow freelancers: What are your preferences for Steam Vent?

I know many of you will burn a stack of coins to get some better rolls, but what are the inscriptions you are looking for?

The usual recommendation is a piece with +100% Charges and ideally +250% Dmg, a very rare combination indeed. 

While the extra charge is helpful to double shoot and benefit from recharge while aiming, I don’t think that high local damage Is really that important. Of course, it depends on your build, but if your global damage is already boosted by a typical 250 to 450%, then another 250% local damage really don’t make such a huge difference. 

So, what are the Steam Vents you chase, and did you happen to find interesting quad rolls?

Message 1 of 11 (729 Views)
Highlighted

Champion

I tried a few times, got one that had 225% local dmg and some global recharge. Honestly pretty happy with it, though I'd still want more charges.

I still want the Ideal 250% dmg + 100% charges, but would settle with 175 Dmg and 200% charges as well. Alternatively, I'd take 50% local Recharge and 100% charges too. I feel like uptime is more important than than the damage tbh. It's good burst, but better for spreading Binary's DoT around more.

Just a person out to help in communities I am part of, where possible.
An aspiring Game Designer that loves digging into the mechanics of a game, regardless of genre. Prefer RPGs, FPS and similar styles of game.

I do not work for EA, all opinions and statements are my own.
Message 2 of 11 (677 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, @RubyJavelin 

Actually, the very first Steam Vent I got in Echoes of Reality had +48% own recharge and +100% charges on it (and useless ammo secondaries). It's almost a spammer even without further recharge, so I always liked that one for its versatility. Just got another one with +58% Pickup Radius and some Harvesting on it.

Interesting point about spreading fire effects. So the chain combo mechanics can actually be useful in practice, but combo targets as an inscriptions is effectively useless?

It took me 36 attempts and 72k coins to find my first damage-charge pair, and with repair drop rate, there's even a useful secondary on it.

SteamVent-200-100-35.PNG

Other than that, I've seen 3 combinations of +21 to 29% Dmg and +100 to 200% Charges. So nothing really exciting from my side, but I'm happy with these, considering the small sample size.

Message 3 of 11 (663 Views)
Highlighted

Champion
@DrBonifarz The best I’ve gotten so far is 200% charges, +125% Gear damage. I’d prefer at least +175% damage instead, so those dang Scar hunters don’t have a tiny bit of shield left after one hit. I’m not spending Coin for the chance at +50% damage tho. And I def prefer the 200% charges to the super high damage roll. I like stripping shields for teammates, and the charges usually let me spread that around.

Just another gamer hoping to help.
Love playing RPGs, MMOs, and Action games.
Like watching most other games.

I'm not employed by EA.
Message 4 of 11 (631 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

That's a splendid roll, @ChiraaKitteh 

The difference between +125% Dmg and a realistic +150% Dmg on a +200% charged item is truly marginal. I have read many times of +175% Dmg on such a piece, but I have never seen a screenshot of one. Maybe it's a combination that effectively never drops, like the +250+175% Dmg? I don't know

EDIT: In the meanwhile, I saw a credible source for the occurrence of +175% Dmg and +200% charges.

Steam Vent as a shield breaker? Works decently well, but electric attacks, like from volt casters, are maybe a better option. But of course, it's cool if your single burst shreds the shield and sets the flying bug on fire, all at once :D

Message 5 of 11 (601 Views)
Highlighted

Champion
@DrBonifarz Guns... bah! I don’t use guns! 😂

Actually, I recently went thru my weapons again to maximize jav damage and elemental damage, and it ended up that the chaining voltcaster actually had the best inscriptions for use as a damage stat stick. But it’s secondary to my gravedigger, and I swap out the secondary for survival when needed. The gravedigger, I just find it fun, it has +65 mag so fires for days.

I'm not employed by EA.
Message 6 of 11 (552 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Apprentice

During cataclysm back in september I got one with 200dmg/100charges and the very first game I gave it a try as a player that did not play Storm at all I dropped a 200charges Binary Star. Having a lot of jav/ele damage universals I made a Storm loadout and played it every now and then. But it gets boring very quickly and also I hate that I can't really solo all the content with like I can with my Interceptor and Ranger. It's nice to burn down everything quickly but fighting a stronghold boss really sucks. Or a legendary ancient ash titan. Or a Bristleback. Although I use Ralner's for them...

Anyways... now that this item was in the Regulator Store I decided to buy one just for fun. It turned out to be a 250dmg/100charges. I still prefer that for now but I know some people are looking for 200charges/175dmg in order to use less overall gear recharge. I like 250dmg/100charges a bit better. I'm not constantly spamming it because I use Binary Star in between and I might also shoot an enemy at times, especially if get a nice Elemental Rage for that loadout.

Message 7 of 11 (545 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Thanks for the responses. So, no awesome quad rolls, anyone? ;-)

In the meanwhile, I have done some testing of displayed damage floaties versus actual damage dealt for Steam Vent against Anrisaurs and Outlaw Turrets. Quite an amazing difference. Now I see what @RubyJavelin meant in his damage calculation and gear feedback notes. I just hope that the SV will not get nerfed, because that could lead to considerable frustration for players who just spent a ton of coin looking for a strong roll.

Message 8 of 11 (516 Views)
Highlighted

Champion

@DrBonifarz wrote:

I just hope that the SV will not get nerfed, because that could lead to considerable frustration for players who just spent a ton of coin looking for a strong roll.

Yeah, they did take it away once. People called it out an they reverted the "fix".

Honestly, it's the perfect example of a good ability imo. Should be left alone basically.

Just a person out to help in communities I am part of, where possible.
An aspiring Game Designer that loves digging into the mechanics of a game, regardless of genre. Prefer RPGs, FPS and similar styles of game.

I do not work for EA, all opinions and statements are my own.
Message 9 of 11 (497 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Champion

@RubyJavelinYeah it’s not really OP, just very useful. Other abilities should be brought closer to its utility.

I'm not employed by EA.
Message 10 of 11 (466 Views)
Twitter Stream