Steam Achievements on EA Games in Steam

by iMatrix7

Original Post

Re: Steam Achievements on EA Games in Steam

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/troubleshooting-ea-games-on-steam/:

Can I earn Steam Achievements and Trading Cards with EA Games?

You won’t earn Steam Achievements for our games, but you can still build out your Trading Card collection. Learn more about Trading cards on Steam.

Despite how that EA Help FAQ is written, some EA games on Steam have/will have Steam Achievements. Some of EA's games that were available on Steam prior to the most recent EA-Valve agreement have Steam Achievements, and some new EA games that have been announced recently have Steam Achievements. Here is a filtered list of EA games with Steam Achievements: https://store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&category2=22&publisher=Electronic+Arts. My hope is that any new EA games released on Steam in 2022 (or maybe even 2021) and beyond won't require the Origin client, but that remains to be seen. It's also possible that EA's more popular/lucrative games (e.g. FIFA) will always require Origin in some form. But I do expect the list of EA's games with Steam Achievements to grow as new EA games are released, I just don't expect to see EA's older games get Steam Achievements.

The impression I have is that any new Steam-native EA games (including those with cross-play) will have Steam Achievements, if the games were designed with achievements as a feature (e.g. Command & Conquer Remastered Collection, Rocket Arena, STAR WARS: Squadrons, etc). The following EA games never had platform achievements on PC, and I find it highly unlikely that achievements for any PC digital distribution platform will be added now: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (including Vietnam expansion), Bejeweled Deluxe, Bejeweled 2 Deluxe, Bejeweled Twist, Chuzzle Deluxe, Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars (including Kane's Wrath expansion), Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 (including Uprising expansion), Crysis (including Warhead expansion), Crysis 2 - Maximum Edition, Crysis 3, Dead Space, Dead Space 2, Dragon Age: Origins (including Awakening expansion), Dragon Age II, Feeding Frenzy 2 Deluxe, Insaniquarium Deluxe, Jade Empire: Special Edition, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Medal of Honor: Airborne, Medal of Honor (2010), Mirror's Edge, Need for Speed Undercover, Need for Speed: Shift, Shift 2 Unleashed, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010), Need for Speed Most Wanted (2012), Need for Speed Rivals, Peggle Deluxe, Peggle Nights, SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition, SPORE (including expansions), The Sims 3 (including expansions), The Sims 4 (including expansions), Warp, and Zuma Deluxe.  For older EA games to receive Steam Achievements, your best hope is for remasters of those games.

Anthem has Origin Achievements hasn't been announced for Steam as of this moment, and the game is currently being reworked. Maybe by the time Anthem NEXT rolls around it will be added to Steam and will have Steam Achievements. So much is up in the air with that game Standard smile. As an MMO with ongoing development, STAR WARS: The Old Republic is supposed to add over 100 Steam Achievements later this year. Apex Legends won't require the Origin client on Steam and already has Origin Achievements, but there has been no mention of Steam Achievements yet. I wouldn't absolutely bank on Steam Achievements being added to Apex Legends (I presume they will be, but I'm not certain), but I find it much more likely that it would receive Steam Achievements at some point than Steam Achievements being added to EA games which never had PC achievements before.

Not really EA-related anymore, but Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning has Steam Achievements, but was pulled from sale recently since THQ Nordic now owns the rights to the IP. THQ Nordic will be releasing Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning, and it will have Steam Achievements. Crytek will be releasing Crysis Remastered soon as well (not published by EA). It might have Steam Achievements, although Crytek hasn't specifically mentioned releasing the game on Steam yet (hopefully it won't be a one-year EGS exclusive). If Crysis Remastered is released on Steam, I wouldn't be surprised if the original Crysis is removed from sale on Steam.

Message 31 of 53 (2,443 Views)

★ Guide

This is why we started and contributed to this thread; to request they add Steam achievements. Origin client use or non-use doesn't really matter at all as many titles have third party clients while also having Steam achievements.

Message 32 of 53 (2,419 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@NihlusGreen I see no reason to believe it's going to happen for older games (but I do think many new EA games in the future will have Steam Achievements), and I doubt you're going to get an official statement from EA regarding this other than what is stated in the FAQ and a "thanks for your feedback" response (or some variation thereof, e.g. "we are unaware of any plans to add this").

EA's current strategy for Steam Achievements (for the games which feature them) appears to be to remove Origin from the equation rather than integrating the Steam Stats and Achievements API into Origin, hence why I highlighted existing games with an Origin requirement. Perhaps the API will be integrated into Origin in the near future, but I still don't think this would benefit older games. For comparison, Ubisoft hasn't added Steam Achievements for most of its older games either, and it's been consistently releasing games on Steam for years (at least until EGS came along).

Don't get me wrong, I am certainly in favor of this as well, but EA is EA. If you get the same response from EA twice in row, that means it's effectively the end of the conversation. But I wish you the best of luck.

Message 33 of 53 (2,415 Views)

★ Guide

That's a few assumptions on your behalf. Though, as we stated earlier, the point of this thread is to highlight a feature we want.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Message 34 of 53 (2,141 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@NihlusGreen wrote:

That's a few assumptions on your behalf.

Founded on related observation and previous experience. But like I said, best of luck. Perhaps this case will be an exception. I originally posted in reply to #30 to suggest that his/her expectations are unlikely of being met with regard to older games. I reiterated that in my second post. I stand by my assessment. That being said, and as previously stated, I am in favor of older EA games being patched to include Steam Achievements (I just don't expect it to happen), and I do think many new EA games in the future will have Steam Achievements.

@NihlusGreen wrote:

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

By all means squeak away, but I wouldn't expect any grease with regard to older games.

Message 35 of 53 (2,075 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Agree.  I grind out BFV dog-tags and medals, why not simply copy all the gold dog-tags and medals over to Steam as cheevos for the fans?

I hope all the usual Origin Achievements on new upcoming titles will at minimum get duplicated onto their steam versions?

Message 36 of 53 (1,918 Views)

★★ Novice
That's defenetly what i want!
Message 37 of 53 (1,856 Views)

★★ Apprentice

If only they could know how much money they're going to lose with the new ORIGIN PASS on Steam, now that they don't have achievements.

Back in the days, EA was only good to make money, even with bad games. Now they aren't even good with that, such as shame.

Message 38 of 53 (1,708 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

They could rework the achievements to be unlocked on the platform it was purchased on, many other games do this, like Fallout 76 - Steam is just the middleman and goes directly to the Bethesda Launcher version of the game and it has all the Steam achievements, so the fact that games like Dragon Age: Inquisition don't have achievements because "they're not really on Steam, they're hosted by Origin" is just not enough in 2020, it's one of the most basic features consumers expect to have. If EA decides to re-release their games today on a new platform (where achievements actually matter to most of its huge playerbase, unlike origin and its trophies) and charging those high prices, they should do their job and provide the full experience, especially for single player games where no achievements = missing out on a massive amount of replay value. This was extremely half-baked lazyness and not wanting to pay someone to rework the code of the achievements, probably because they're a few years old so why waste a dime on products they know will sell regardless.

Message 39 of 53 (1,608 Views)

★★ Apprentice

It seems they added a few achievements for the most recent games, which is very good progress in the right direction, but they completely ignored the old games, which is very sad.

Games like SPORE, THE SIMS, SIMCITY, a few DRAGON AGE, and some others didn't get anything. Unfortunately, exactly what I owned already on Steam which means I still cannot unlock anything of my favourite games. But glad that some of you can now enjoy achievements I guess! ^^

Message 40 of 53 (1,495 Views)