Re: Starting to aggressively dislike SAM

by Fred_vdp

Original Post

Starting to aggressively dislike SAM

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Right now, I think SAM would win a competition between him and Preston Garvey about game mechanics ruining a character.  Preston gets a lot of flak for handing out settlement quests.  But at least if you don't talk to him you can avoid it.  Oh, and Bethesda actually supports a modding community.  But SAM is so much more constant and in-your-face than Preston.  Actually, right now SAM is the ME character I hate the most across ALL games. 

...and I've started to almost become aggressive about it...out of game.  As in, actually snarking, swearing and rolling my eyes at SAM whenever he talks (which is a lot).

Tell me I'm not the only one swearing at their computer every time SAM butts in with another reminder, or hand-holding us through the game?

Message 1 of 37 (1,359 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

Thank you Large smile

Even before I played Andromeda, was watching some youtube vids on the game by people who got invited to play it before the trial period...  Basically there are 2 things that I compare with the ME trilogy.  The main protagonist, so ryder vs shep and since they are both AI, SAM vs EDI.  Even before playing the game, personality wise, I find SAM so boring whilst EDI with her corny little jokes and her growth has so much more personality.  After playing the game, I would now say that the writing in this game is nothing compared to the original trilogy, whilst EDI has some really clever lines written for her, SAM simply doesnt.  Voice acting, Shepard and Tranor mentioned a few times about EDI's voice and I totally agree...  With a voice like that getting unshackled is only a matter of time.  SAM is just flat and dull.  "Pathfinder you have new email"

Conceptually SAM takes away from the protagonist.  WIthout SAM ryder would suck as a pathfinder.  He's the one thing that could kill Ryder anytime anywhere.  If this story progresses the way Zha and Zha'til did during the time of the protheans, SAM might eventually take over Ryder and all the rest of the SAM implanted crew.  That would be fun...  Maybe then Shepard will visit andromeda and go against the SAM led armies, if that happens(very unlikely unless there's a change in bioware management) then that's where Mass Effect Andromeda truly starts for me...  

Message 2 of 37 (1,343 Views)

★★★ Pro

while i do find sam really annoying at this point, i don't aggressively hate him, though i do wish i could just hit the mute command every so often... assuming sam doesn't use the kill command in retaliation.

Message 3 of 37 (1,325 Views)

★ Guide

@asakti wrote:

Right now, I think SAM would win a competition between him and Preston Garvey about game mechanics ruining a character.  Preston gets a lot of flak for handing out settlement quests.  But at least if you don't talk to him you can avoid it.  Oh, and Bethesda actually supports a modding community.  But SAM is so much more constant and in-your-face than Preston.  Actually, right now SAM is the ME character I hate the most across ALL games. 

...and I've started to almost become aggressive about it...out of game.  As in, actually snarking, swearing and rolling my eyes at SAM whenever he talks (which is a lot).

Tell me I'm not the only one swearing at their computer every time SAM butts in with another reminder, or hand-holding us through the game?

if you don't want to hear it turn the sound off.

this is your problem not mine.

- Commander Shepard.

Message 4 of 37 (1,311 Views)

★★★★ Pro

I'm either ok and non ok with SAM. It's like having this relative we love, but that sometimes is annoying? Same difference really.

Message 5 of 37 (1,300 Views)

★ Guide

My biggest problem is the way he keeps telling me "Pathfinder.. you have new email at your terminal." And I never do!

That and the constant barking about Mining Zones. I get it when you're low level.. it's there to introduce you to the mining mechanic in the Nomad, but does he really need to persist through the entire game? If you're level 80 wearing all crafted gear.. I think you know about how to get resources. 

I don't understand why he has to speak so often.. it's really annoying.

Message 6 of 37 (1,288 Views)

Hero

The only Mass Effect character I hate more than SAM is Kai Leng.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 7 of 37 (1,275 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

@PandaTar wrote:

I'm either ok and non ok with SAM. It's like having this relative we love, but that sometimes is annoying? Same difference really.

Don't know about love, but the stuck with part or your analogy is spot on. There's a few things with SAM that bother me beyond the fact he has a few lines that seem to trigger by physical location only and the one in the Tempest is hard to avoid. The biggest one being why I never just talk to the voice that lives in my head.

Why do I never have a conversation with SAM, or anyone else, about SAM? I have a AI that lives in my head that I only ever talk to if I need it to do something for me? It is a symbiotic relationship that never develops. I just accept his initial explanation of Symbiosis and never look back. Not with Lexi, not with another Pathfinder, not with anyone on the team, not even SAM himself. Especially after he pulls his series of party tricks. Not to complain, not to joke, not to discuss secrets, not to ponder. It interjects bits of unsolicited advice, asks questions, tries to understand me - but I never do the same thing?

SAM needs to quit being Deux ex machina and become what was advertised as.

Message 8 of 37 (1,273 Views)

★★★ Guide

I really like SAM. Well I really appreciate the English SAM after I played with the German Dub :D

I so wholeheartely hate the German voice and especially the intonation that I have no problem with my English SAM.

So maybe you should try another dub and find an even more annoying SAM then you won't be able to be THAT mad at the original SAM afterwards Wink 

Joke aside, I really need a mute button for SAM or at least some option to say him to shut up about specific topics!

Message 9 of 37 (1,269 Views)

★ Apprentice

I think SAM should keep letting me know that I have new email, when I do NOT have new email. Worst AI ever.

Message 10 of 37 (1,266 Views)