Re: Star Wars Squadrons News, Content & Gameplay

by Kevlegs

Original Post

★★ Pro

and there’s a new video, I think Bombastic might be the only one who did something like this, but basically it goes through every cosmetic customisation option.

Message 71 of 112 (860 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I think most already know this but..

EA Motive's upcoming sci fi dogfighter, Star Wars: Squadrons, is ticking a lot of boxes, with cross play, VR, and online multiplayer support rounding out an impressive sounding package. But some fans were unsure of the lower 5v5 player count.

We're happy to report that one of the marquee features in Squadrons, the Fleet Battles mode, will include AI support fighters alongside your chosen five man squad. 

There had been some discontent since the games announcement, after the boots on the ground player scale of DICE's Battlefront series, that Squadrons would potentially feel like a step back. 

When you consider the highly successful run of Rogue Squadron titles back on the N64 and GameCube, which featured large scale single and multiplayer battles, being faced with the prospect of 5v5 only might at first glance underwhelm. Especially when you consider that Star Wars as a brand is known for it's complex, massive space battles.

However, following a hands on preview published by IGN, AI support fighters will indeed back up your squad online, and offer more than just background window dressing. 

Message 72 of 112 (816 Views)

★★ Pro

The recent vids have me quite excited to get the Game. I probably would not preorder for myself, just to play safe. I want to see new vids of people playing, then when the game is released probably a while later I should get it. Is there going to be a Retail Box for the game? I am not sure if I should get the Steam version or the Origin Version, depends on where I find the right way to get the game.

Message 73 of 112 (809 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Guide
@Reposter I don't think there is for the PC.. I actually went digital for mine. I'll record some gameplay when it arrives,,
Message 74 of 112 (782 Views)

@Kevlegs I was a little bit skeptical about the size of the fleet battles but I also think the 5v5 gameplay allows for Esports and that would be awesome!
Message 75 of 112 (759 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@PlurgeTrooper Agreed. I hope the AI will be pretty decent and not just easy canon fodder.
Would be great to be able to turn the AI off for things such as Esports..

Also, just a thought but I wonder if you'll be able to get 10 friends in the same game by squadding up?
Message 76 of 112 (747 Views)

★★★★ Guide

No next gen console version for the game. Not that I'm fussed about that tbh. It'll be a fun game but not worth making it for the new consoles. I'd rather all that effort be put in for a new Battlefront made for the next gen consoles.

https://gamerant.com/star-wars-squadrons-playable-ps5-xbox-series-x/

Message 77 of 112 (660 Views)

★ Guide

PS5 will be backward compatible with PS4, so at least you'll be able to play it on the PS5 if you purchase one. Probably will get a boost in frame-rate, at a minimum, from running it on the more beefed up hardware.

Message 78 of 112 (653 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@SuperSmash88 Yeah, they're both backwards compatible for both consoles. No real heartache. lol
Message 79 of 112 (607 Views)

★★ Guide
@Kevlegs I’ve pre-ordered it on Xbox!!
Message 80 of 112 (545 Views)